First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to upgrade to 37s when I wear mine out, but the hit in mpg is big.
I would probably do better on highway, but most of my driving is city.
I dont even bother on eco mode. I do not get any improvement in MPG, just feels more sluggish. Normal mode or sport mode is better, especially on Highways.
Yes. I need to do the Forscan mod to get Sport Mode. I am a Badlands, so no sport mode from factory.
Sponsored

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I dont even bother on eco mode. I do not get any improvement in MPG, just feels more sluggish. Normal mode or sport mode is better, especially on Highways.
Honestly, I didn't feel much difference in Eco mode. I know when I switched, the mileage did go up by 3/10ths or 4/10ths. And if I need to pass, the power is there.

Personally, most of all this is probably in our heads anyways. 🤷‍♂️

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why do you people with a different axle ratio then what the op is asking keep answering his question?
It's called boredom. Or maybe trying to give OP an idea what we get, and when someone does answer or come close to what he has, he can then make an educated guess.

Why do you ask the question above rather than answer his question? (keep in mind I didn't look at rest of this thread to see if you actually did or not.)

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you people with a different axle ratio then what the op is asking keep answering his question?
Well, at least they're giving info for Broncos! "I don't have a Bronco but my Tesla gets 107MPG".

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's called boredom. Or maybe trying to give OP an idea what we get, and when someone does answer or come close to what he has, he can then make an educated guess.

Why do you ask the question above rather than answer his question? (keep in mind I didn't look at rest of this thread to see if you actually did or not.)
I drive in Eco.... and a light foot... until the guy in front of me pisses me off and I go around him. And still topping out around 18.2. How the hell are you getting 22? Do you only drive on highways and downhill all the time? I must be missing something.
I just drive normal, normal mode. Coast to a stop when I can and let the engine shut off with start stop at the long lights. Roads are flat and straight with warm temps (Fl) and I drive with windows down and AC off. Some highway I drive no more than 70. I have a lightweight package though- Base Sasquatch 2 door no mods or accessories. I purposely wanted the most light weight Bronco with biggest engine. It moves too, I never have to press on it hard. When I rarely do it gets up to 85 real fast. I use 87 octane too. Lightweight vehicle, big engine low RPM equal MPG. I got over 30 MPG in my C6 Corvette.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought a vanilla OBX a few weeks ago thinking I could throw 35s on after yanking the crash bars and not get destroyed on by mileage. After educating myself on ratios, I kinda regret not going squatch. I don't mind a hit it mileage, but I also don't wanna get 11 mpg highway. A regear is off the table for now.

Can anyone with 3.73 and 35s chime in with your rough mpg? I have a 2.7, FWIW.

Cue the "you bought a bronco, who cares about mpgs?" crowd...
Back in the old days of 3 speed non-OD or 4 speed OD automatic transmissions, the diff gears were more important. And you could end up with a final drive out of whack. Meaning way too low rpm.

Not that diff gears don't also matter today, but now you have the 10 speed automatic, with several OD gears. That could change the picture, if the Bronco auto is able to smartly select the best OD gear for your larger tires.

I don't know for sure, but maybe someone with your setup could comment, does the auto maybe stay in 8th or 9th gear more on the highway, to account for the larger diameter tires? If it has that capability, then you could be ok even with the larger diameter tires (meaning lesser mpg and power penalty).

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2 door Big Bend non-squatch, 2.3L, 3.73’s, King 2.5’s, 37x12.5 BFG KM3’s, Ford Performance tune.

I run in Sport mode at all times. Highway mileage @80 mph avg speed is consistently 15-16 mpg. Mileage is slightly worse in Normal mode and significantly worse in Eco mode.

Ford Bronco 35s and 3.73: What's Your MPG? IMG_6067

OP
OP
IINCEPTIONII

IINCEPTIONII

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Back in the old days of 3 speed non-OD or 4 speed OD automatic transmissions, the diff gears were more important. And you could end up with a final drive out of whack. Meaning way too low rpm.

Not that diff gears don't also matter today, but now you have the 10 speed automatic, with several OD gears. That could change the picture, if the Bronco auto is able to smartly select the best OD gear for your larger tires.

I don't know for sure, but maybe someone with your setup could comment, does the auto maybe stay in 8th or 9th gear more on the highway, to account for the larger diameter tires? If it has that capability, then you could be ok even with the larger diameter tires (meaning lesser mpg and power penalty).
That's really what I'm hoping - that the tranny will know where to sit based on how hard it's working. I've seen a few reports of people using sport mode to lock out 9th and 10th, and it seems like their results have been good.

2 door Big Bend non-squatch, 2.3L, 3.73’s, King 2.5’s, 37x12.5 BFG KM3’s, Ford Performance tune.

I run in Sport mode at all times. Highway mileage @80 mph avg speed is consistently 15-16 mpg. Mileage is slightly worse in Normal mode and significantly worse in Eco mode.

IMG_6067.jpeg
Now you're talkin'. What a great looking ride, and thanks for the detailed info. Did you recalibrate your speedo as well?

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's really what I'm hoping - that the tranny will know where to sit based on how hard it's working. I've seen a few reports of people using sport mode to lock out 9th and 10th, and it seems like their results have been good.

Now you're talkin'. What a great looking ride, and thanks for the detailed info. Did you recalibrate your speedo as well?
Thanks! I did the speedo calibration with the Ford Performance tuner.

Sport mode does lock 9th & 10th gears out, so it runs in 8th. Good temp solution instead of re-gearing for now. I’ll eventually do the full Spicer axle upgrades when I can save up enough $$$ to buy the parts.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 3.73 gears and 295/70/18 (34.3”)

15.5 is the best I can manage on my suburban driving, and I’m a pretty conservative driver.

However I’ve not re-calibrated with FORSCAN. This ought to be ~10% higher (16.5-17) if you properly factor the new tire size. I don’t see people addressing that point

Last edited:

Sponsored

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

17 with tune premium and gear on the truck. If you get 20 mpg on this engine your legit barely alive.

Sadams27

Outer Banks
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought a vanilla OBX a few weeks ago thinking I could throw 35s on after yanking the crash bars and not get destroyed on by mileage. After educating myself on ratios, I kinda regret not going squatch. I don't mind a hit it mileage, but I also don't wanna get 11 mpg highway. A regear is off the table for now.

Can anyone with 3.73 and 35s chime in with your rough mpg? I have a 2.7, FWIW.

Cue the "you bought a bronco, who cares about mpgs?" crowd...
I have the exact same set up. OBX non SAS on 35s, 3.73. I average 16.9 MPG. Drive mainly in Sport mode.

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Cuz i dont have the gear ratio he is specically asking for, duh

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had an old cj7 back in the day. 4” lift, 36” rubber, 360 with headers exiting out the side with 3” cherry bombs. Never really cared about the miles per gallon. Just so you know

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco 35s and 3.73: What's Your MPG? IMG_6067
Have you taken it off road? Any issues with steering? Nice bronco!
Sponsored