First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 STX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We had some freezing rain in New England this week, put my Bronco into 4A. I was surprised to see that power was constantly applied to all four wheels at all times. I would have expected that out of 4H but from all of the reading I’ve done in other threads I expected 4A to function as RWD and apply power to the front wheels as needed.

I could hear the front diff working, especially at highway speed. One note is it never seemed like the truck was upset being in 4A, even on dry pavement. From experience in my F150 you can hear the diff make noise when I forget to turn off 4H and hit dry pavement, never experienced those noises with the Bronco

is this functioning correctly with power constantly applied to all four wheels, or is this worth bringing to the attention of the dealer?

I got the same results in both 4A and 4A w/slippery GOAT mode enabled.

Appreciate the help.

CA31F4A0-3FFC-43B3-8442-1BC5B402E91C.jpeg
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just had the same icy weather as you.

Nothing is wrong. Mine operates the same.

I've not experimented much yet on all the differences of 4A using normal vs slippery mode. But power to all 4 wheels in slippery mode seemed constant. I wasn't watching it super closely while diving in the ice.

In normal mode, power is sent to all 4 wheels when first starting. After a time of light throttle it will actually go to rear only.

4A on dry pavement is fine. Its what sport mode uses but 4H will make noise on pavement still.

A 4A optioned bronco with good tires is one of the best things to be driving in slippery winter conditions. Better than many AWD systems. Proactive rather than reactive awd/4wd. A slippery mode that can modulate throttle and brake input, and adjust ESC.

People will say all they need is standard 4wd and no goat modes. But IMO use all the tools available to you even if you are an experienced winter driver.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds right to me. Unlike a FWD based AWD the transfer case acts like an open diff in 4A. And 4H is like locking that diff. It may have a clutch or LSD of some sort in it but it is not locked per say. I think if traction controls are all off and you were spinning tires up a hill you might notice a difference in wheel speed front to rear but not alot.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 4A "slip" is in the transfer case. What you are seeing is normal.
Sponsored