Sponsored

6th Gen Bronco Bad PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

mrbrenan

Badlands
First Name
Brenan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys,

We recently had our PCM replaced around 1600 miles by Ford Service in Roseville, California, and although they replaced the unit under warranty, it took 18 days. If you don't have the extended warranty, Ford does not offer you a rental car during those 18 days (or however long it takes to repair the vehicle) and they will not arrange a tow truck to pick up your vehicle - wherever it breaks down. Thankfully I have AAA and extra vehicles that I can drive at any time. If you don't have AAA and/or extra vehicles you can drive, you would be pretty upset.

You can read the description of what happened, but essentially, we were driving on the road and the Bronco randomly went into limp mode, and then the engine shut off completely. I tried to restart the Bronco and it would not start. I hopped out, disconnected the + battery terminal for 5-10min, reconnected the terminal, and the Bronco was able to start. Upon starting the Bronco, it made some strange mechanical noises and was in full limp mode. At this point, I was less than a mile from home. I limped to my driveway and called for a AAA tow to Ford of Roseville. Ford ended up replacing the PCM at no cost.

That pretty much sums it up, but for the full post, head over here: https://trailbronco.com/2023/05/10/6th-gen-bronco-bad-pcm-powertrain-control-module-replacement/

Ford Bronco 6th Gen Bronco Bad PCM (Powertrain Control Module) Ford_Bronco_Bad_ECU_PCM_01
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not that it's of much comfort but PCM failures are rather uncommon. That said, our mobile service transit van showed up with a completely dead HVAC module. Worst part, it left the factory like this.

Roadside should've handled the tow unless you called and got your own. You can send a copy of your tow bill into roadside for reimbursement consideration. Dealer should have this address.

OP
OP
mrbrenan

mrbrenan

Badlands
First Name
Brenan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Roadside should've handled the tow unless you called and got your own. You can send a copy of your tow bill into roadside for reimbursement consideration. Dealer should have this address.
I asked Ford if they could send out a tow truck and they said no. They didn't even mention Roadside was an option.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked Ford if they could send out a tow truck and they said no. They didn't even mention Roadside was an option.
Yes, they could've facilitated this on your behalf. There's an 800 number we can call to get it set up instead of you calling Ford roadside. This is more for dealers that have their own tow trucks or work directly with a tow provider but still doable. If nothing else, they should've told you to call the roadside number and be on Ford's dime.

Here's the section out of the owners manual that relates to towing reimbursement. Tell them you called the dealer and they didn't offer to set it up for you or tell you to call roadside directly.

Ford Bronco 6th Gen Bronco Bad PCM (Powertrain Control Module) 1683745103125

OP
OP
mrbrenan

mrbrenan

Badlands
First Name
Brenan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, they could've facilitated this on your behalf. There's an 800 number we can call to get it set up instead of you calling Ford roadside. This is more for dealers that have their own tow trucks or work directly with a tow provider but still doable. If nothing else, they should've told you to call the roadside number and be on Ford's dime.

Here's the section out of the owners manual that relates to towing reimbursement.
Ford Bronco 6th Gen Bronco Bad PCM (Powertrain Control Module) 1683745103125
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't feel bad, this happens more than it should. Years ago we could just go get the vehicle and bill Ford on a separate line on the repair order. They went through multiple dispatch providers and took us out of it for a long time until recently. We've towed stuff without calling not knowing it was going to be a covered repair until after the fact. Sometimes we could get them covered, others we had to eat because neither the advisor or customer knew what the repair would fall under.

BigBend530

Big Bend
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2Dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
At least you got 1600 miles in before it broke down. Mine did on the way home from purchasing it with less than 200 miles on it and it took 28 days for PCM. It had roughly 47 miles on it at time of purchase. I did get a loaner from my repair (not purchase) dealership. They must send all the bad PCM Broncos to the west coast.

Last edited:

Broncoco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine arrived at the dealership with a bad PCM. Think at 24 miles on it. Repaired and runs great. Took about a month to get the part.

Elleykaye

Outer Banks
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At least you got 1600 miles in before it broke down. Mine did on the way home from purchasing it with less than 200 miles on it and it took 28 days for PCM. It had roughly 47 miles on it at time of purchase. I did get a loaner from my repair (not purchase) dealership. They must send all the bad PCM Broncos to the west coast.
I know this thread isn’t new but had to respond. Let’s just say they send some of the bad pcm broncos to Florida as well. I bought a 2023 Bronco outer banks in August 2023. I have had a lot of issues. It’s been in and out of service since I bought it. (Only 18 miles at first incident) They’ve had it more than I have. Once again in the shop going on three weeks after car completely died on a busy highway. They still can’t figure it out other than saying they think it needs a new pcm. Don’t know how long it’ll be before they can get one and then to replace. Don’t really feel safe/comfortable driving this car again. Looking into them swapping for a different one.
Sponsored