Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Background- I’ve owned since new a 2013 Wrangler JKU Sahara that I’ve put 150k miles on. I’m 6’2 / 230lbs. There is very little off-roading where I am, but I like to get off the pavement wherever possible. Mostly on road / daily driver miles

I finally got to test drive today. 4dr badlands. While the dimensions are very close to my wrangler, it seems much larger and heavier. Even though it’s barely bigger than the jeep, the interior is much roomier. The windshield is farther away. I have to lean forward to adjust the rear view mirror for instance, where it’s much closer in the jeep. Armrest / cup holders seemed to be comfortable enough with the seat all the way back - something that isn’t easy to find in many vehicles. The seats are much more plush/soft than the jeep. I didn’t adjust them perfectly so they weren’t as comfortable to me as they hopefully could be. I very much like the upright driving position of a jeep. This is close to that but not quite. The vinyl upholstery is weird. I think I like it, but it’s different. The overall fit and finish seems good. I get what some say about the dash seeming light / flimsy but I don’t know if I care. The grab handles are just better and more usable in the wrangler.
The rear tail gait is huge compared to the jeep. No issue with that, but it surprised me. The rear cargo area floor space seems smaller than the jeep, I don’t know if it is-it’s close in size I’m sure but “feels” smaller. Lifting the back of the soft top took more effort than I was expecting. It’s not difficult but it was heavier than I expected. I’m not sold on that being a great feature, but the jeep is a pain in the ass so this has to be better. The side windows on the soft top are saggy and wrinkled. The clips to attach them of course contribute. Initial impression is that I prefer Jeep’s method and resulting appearance.
All of the electronics worked well and were very responsive. Driving impression- plenty of power. It really pulls from a stop. It was a short drive but feels comfortable, lines of sight good. It felt to me like a much bigger vehicle and had and plusher ride than my jeep. Something about that made it feel less fun to drive though. It was only about a 15 min drive, so I definitely need to do another and really assess things better. I just wanted to be wowed and love it, but i was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. It’s definitely nice And felt well built but it didn’t have the fun to drive feel that I was looking for. I’ve been excited for the new Bronco since the 2016 prototype and I just feel a little underwhelmed by it now. I definitely need another drive and to spend more time with it. This time was a bit rushed.
I know everyone here is still hyped on it but I wanted to share my initial impression.
Sponsored

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For me, I imagine the top down days will be what makes it fun to drive, or getting off road where a standard vehicle can't go. Maybe you were expecting something it didn't have but most of your post sounds positive.

Edit: I want to add a couple more thoughts. My kids got a hand me down jeep JK, which I've driven, and repaired, many times. It is fun to drive and very upright... like you said. Because it wasn't mine, I didn't do any modifications but I thought about the things I wanted to do. I only drove it a couple of times on days nice enough to remove the roof panels, but that was fun.

I considered buying a jeep but the constant repairs scared me away from it. So the Bronco coming out was a new opportunity to buy a similar "outdoor lifestyle" car. I like the idea that the ride will be nicer (IFS), the engine more powerful, the warranty on the SAS package and I get the rag top, doors off, washout floors, aftermarket options. This thing has so many great features. So I'm excited to get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CT203

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me, I imagine the top down days will be what makes it fun to drive, or getting off road where a standard vehicle can't go. Maybe you were expecting something it didn't have but most of your post sounds positive.

Edit: I want to add a couple more thoughts. My kids got a hand me down jeep JK, which I've driven, and repaired, many times. It is fun to drive and very upright... like you said. Because it wasn't mine, I didn't do any modifications but I thought about the things I wanted to do. I only drove it a couple of times on days nice enough to remove the roof panels, but that was fun.

I considered buying a jeep but the constant repairs scared me away from it. So the Bronco coming out was a new opportunity to buy a similar "outdoor lifestyle" car. I like the idea that the ride will be nicer (IFS), the engine more powerful, the warranty on the SAS package and I get the rag top, doors off, washout floors, aftermarket options. This thing has so many great features. So I'm excited to get it.
Yes, mostly positive but Nothing truely impressed me and I’m not sure I love the seats yet or the larger feel. It’s nicer ride and more responsive steering makes it a little more boring to drive if that makes any sense. I know that sounds kind of stupid.
My wrangler had an issue with the radiator / HVAC system but it was covered. Other than that it’s been trouble free. I think every manufacturer makes fairly reliable vehicles at this point. The Bronco will have its issues.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I get the drive bit. I was going to buy a new wrangler back in 2005. After test driving the Jeep, I ended up buying another motorcycle. The Jeep was too refined compared to the CJ’s and Bronco’s I drove in the past. Now, I’m buying the Bronco as a replacement for the Escape and not really expecting it to be a bucking Bronco like in the past.

Sponsored

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a test drive set up Monday. While not my build (it's a 4dr WT 2.7 sasq and I'm getting 2dr BL 2.7 sasq) it should give me a decent idea of I'll be happy with it

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really like the Jeep and have considered it for over a couple of years. Recently, I have worried about the reliability of the Bronco tops. But after much research Jeeps electrical issues have scared me away from buy the 4XE, to hold me over until my Bronco is delivered. So to say Jeep's issues are in the past may be a reach according to the Wrangler forums. But thank you for your honest impressions. I take in all the information I can on any vehicle!

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you don’t like it don’t buy one.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s been talked about at nauseam on this forum about the soft top window sag. It is there for the pop up feature of the rear cargo area. Ya it’s not like the Jeep we get it...

Sponsored

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unfortunately, there are some on the forum who, for whatever reason, derive some sort of self-worth via their affinity for Ford products. They take a critique, however small, as a personal attack and have to lash out. Can’t for the life of me figure it out, but more power to them if that is all they have in their lives.
Well said BBlands .

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are REALLY used to the JKU. Anything different will definitely feel odd without a lot more seat time.

Its REALLY nice to have choices.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve been worried that Ford engineered the fun out of the vehicle. Made it more for soccer moms who want to look tough, but want a vehicle that rides like their Toyota Highlander.

I think what has me more worried than this review is the praise that many of the car reviewers are heaping on its road manners. The fact that most of them love that it drives like a CUV on road makes me wonder if they remember the point of this vehicle class is to have fun.

I have only had the opportunity to sit in one. I guess I really need to set my appointment for a test drive and see if it’s Jeep fun, or more Toyota RAV 4.
Sponsored