Sponsored

Adding, modifying or otherwise changing factory/OEM options, an intro.

OP
OP
Chrome_Pony

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be very interesting indeed. One of the things I wonder about is if the harness on non diff lock Bronco will still be wired for one. I’ll be checking back on this thread regularly.
I missed this earlier.

So this is also a long-term project I have on my list for my truck. To provide an example of how this might work in the Bronco, I'll highlight the Twins I'm familiar with.

In the case of the GMT700s, the Chevrolet ZR2 is the only model with Eaton E-locker electronic locking diffs (no model for GMC has this, despite the OG S10 ZR2s having a GMC Sonoma Highrider counterpart), and the other make/models do not get that subharness, as it is tied into the BCM with lockdown parameters: most egregious, the front locker can't be activated outside of 4LO.

Fortunately the other make/models share the same front carrier assembly and can be converted to a front locker by either the replacement of the carrier assembly, or the installation of the locker itself. (I have heard that replacing the carrier is advised for Jeeps, as the oil galleries have differences in locked/unlocked carriers, but I can't confirm, maybe some of the FCA Jeep guys can chime in) Eaton does not sell the locker to the public, relying on GM to sell them, but Eaton does sell the switch separately from the locker, as a standalone installation for their other E-lockers.

This means a BCM-divorced setup is possible, and at least in my case, desirable. I specifically don't want some of the ass-covering liability features (no lock outside of 4LO, speed limiting, etc) that OEMs are guaranteed to program in. The downside is, a standalone locker install will not be dovetailed with the GOAT modes, trans or wheel sensors, steering sensors or any other BCM controlled system. None of the seamless operation and safety and fudge factors that engineers have built-in to the OEM systems operation will be present.

What this means is that the operator of an aftermarket standalone locker must use the between-the-ears BCM to identify serious, hazardous and inadvisable scenarios in which operation of the locker may result in carnage. It is as yet undetermined where the next weak drivetrain link is in the event you overtorque the shit out of your front dig when off camber on rocks.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford could have really taken the lead by offering a way for the owner to change the tire size through some menus. With all of this connected FordPass crap, they could also have you select the tires you bought via pictures on your 8 or 12 inch screen and automatically put the actual tire diameter in the computer instead of what's on the sidewall too.
Ford should go one step further and automatically detect the tire size and adjust. There are wheel sensors and there is GPS, so auto-adjusting should be possible.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is there no one at ford we can ask if this will be possible? Seems crazy they won't let you adjust for tire sizes... What about winter tires? At least let the dealers do it if it needs to be verified for mileage purposes.

RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The equivalent Ford Body Builder site can be found here. Nothing on the Bronco there yet. If you want to get a head start on how the upfitter switches work, the SuperDuty bulletin for them is here.
Sponsored