SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't classify it as full-time, more like on demand or automatic. If you watch the power distribution gauge, more often then not, only the back tires are receiving power and the front's only receive power when under hard acceleration or slippage is detected.

I am pro 4A and my current 3 Fords each have it. My F150 has been set to 4A for the past 5 years, 100k miles.
Yeah, automatic on-demand is how Ford more accurately describes it -- I only made a point to include "full-time" because you can essentially leave your truck in 4A all of the time if you want, and never worry about it. Using any part-time 4WD systems on pavement, especially 4L, is a death wish for your drivetrain.
Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It depends on the conditions of the highway. If it's mostly dry you wouldn't want to have it in 4 anything, but if there's a decent amount of slip you'd want 4H. 4L probably isn't something you'd use on any highway conditions unless there was significant unplowed snow you couldn't get through in 4H.

4A was non-negotiable for me since in CO the highway conditions change at the drop of a hat and manually fiddling with the transfer case on Vail pass after it'd been closed for 2 hours one night in March was the last straw for me. Highway patrol was leading people down 70 after it opened and it was either keep speed - about 45/50 mph when dry- with the pack in 2WD but then panic because we'd hit another stretch of ice pack and I couldn't shift into 4wd going faster than 25, or keep it in 4H and not got faster than 40 because my Xterra couldn't be driven at highway speeds in 4H.

Newer vehicles don't have the same speed constraints for transmission shifts but it's not something I want to be concerned with in any new ride I buy.
Did you get yours yet?!!

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Many people talking about the benefits of Advance 4x4 in the snow. It also shines in rainy and wet conditions. I had the equivalent of Advance 4x4 in my Grand Cherokee. It made driving in the rain a breeze. I tried many times to get it to break traction in the rain and it never did.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, if I don’t have 4A, can I drive on the highway when it snows with 4L or 4H? Or only 2WD.
Sure, Im just pointing out why I think 4auto is superior to 4wd in certain conditions, and why i got it. Each person will have their opinions and experiences and needs. I used primitive 4wd for years in snow country. Now, im in coastal SC.
Sponsored