Sponsored

Air hose - which coupler are better to use?

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im about to buy some flexzilla hoses and build myself a 1/4" air hose kit.
Flexzilla from amazon ships to my country so its best option for me, but I see the following:
1. Flexzilla sells their own couplers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CK42B32
2. Flexzilla also sells a version of their air hose with couplers from Colorconnex, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TFE7WK

Which of the two is better to use?

Also I saw these air hose fitting reusable, one with ball swivel and one without for cheaper price. Is it working good? does it worth the extra? I only need one or two of these, so I dont mind for a one time extra of a few bucks.

Talking about these two: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5HUKCM and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMGZCFM
Sponsored

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2020 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Swivel on the flex hose is useful not necessarily the ball swivel. It's built in the end fitting. Second link is better for me. I went with the recoil hoses and made a 4 inflate at the same time thing. I think they have ready made hoses with the fittings already on them as well. The high flow flexzilla does not fit in ARB connectors. You can see the difference in both listings. CC is industrial type D. Other one is wider. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t have regular arb port but just a regular 1/4ā€ coupler, which I connect to it my thor's lightning manifold and hoses kit (this one)

Thing is that my kit is a bit shorter since my coupler under my hood is installed very close to my mounted compressor, so I want to prepare a very short (even just 1meter) extension cable.

Flexzilla connector which they advertise as a bit wider 1/4" NPT, won't connect to a regular 1/4" coupler?

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The hose is a consistent size/width. It's the connector you attach to the 1/4 hose that can be inconsistent. Different brands of compressor use different fittings to connect to their outlet. Thors appears to be consistent with the industrial D standard thst is the colour connex. So if Thors works already and you just need an extension. Then go with color connex and use whatever hose you want as long as it has a 1/4 npt end on it. so you can attach the color connex to it.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Air hose fitting consistency is maddening. Fortunately they are usually pretty easy to swap out. I donā€™t know that, between ā€œautomotiveā€ and ā€œindustrialā€ style one is any better than the other.

I standardized around ā€œindustrialā€ just because most of my air tools came fitted that way, and I try to keep a few extra fittings in the tool box for those occasions I need to swap something to make it work.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hose is a consistent size/width. It's the connector you attach to the 1/4 hose that can be inconsistent. Different brands of compressor use different fittings to connect to their outlet. Thors appears to be consistent with the industrial D standard thst is the colour connex. So if Thors works already and you just need an extension. Then go with color connex and use whatever hose you want as long as it has a 1/4 npt end on it. so you can attach the color connex to it.
Thanks.
being 1/4ā€ hose used to inflate my tires with regular valve (not special apex valve or anything else), does it matter if I use flexzilla claimed higher airflow instead of colorconnex?

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure if you are catching my drift. Grabbed some out of my box. Silver one is high flow. It doesn't fit in the female unless all your connectors are high flow. You are using thors which is the red one. It is narrower. You can't mix them up. You have to commit to one size.

IMG_5064.jpeg

IMG_5063.jpeg

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ā€œHi flowā€ is still going to get bottlenecked by the valve stem, even if you remove the cores

OP
OP

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand, thanks.
If theoretically I remove my manifold existing coupler and replace it with flexzilla high flow one, and then have the entire system with their hi flow type of couplers, will I gain any improvement (given there are other factors here such as the compressor, the tire valves..)?

In reality I will get the colorConnex and have it all done with, but I just wonder out of curiousity if those high flow are even relevant for those kind of compressors we're talking about here (in my case twin arb)

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The most important thing is they all match. They won't really fill your tires up any faster or run your compressor cooler or anything though.

Sponsored

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agree with Brian you won't notice a difference with a vehicle compressor. A shop compressor system running at higher pressure with a large tank powering air tools on a high flow designed system with larger diameter hoses I think you might. But not what we do with our broncos.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Way overthinking going on hereā€¦

OP
OP

SillyPosition

Badlands
First Name
Silly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Way overthinking going on hereā€¦
Not at all, just lack of knowledge regarding fitting and real world practice for car compressor.
Thats the purpose of this thread and forum, and now I know it too! :)
Sponsored