Sponsored

AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4!

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally happening!

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_7857
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_7856
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_7858
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_7403.PNG
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! Screenshot 2023-04-26 120322e
Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Finally happening!

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! Screenshot 2023-04-26 120322e
Nice Rig! Mind sharing where you ended up purchasing the Radflo's from and how much they set you back?

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice Rig! Mind sharing where you ended up purchasing the Radflo's from and how much they set you back?
Thanks!! I got the Radflos and UCA from Metaltech4x4, Stage 4 kit. https://metaltech4x4.com/ford-bronco-2021-current-radflo-front-and-rear-remote-coilovers/

Use Bronco30 for a 30% discount, they also had free shipping! I asked, they were cool with me sharing the code.

The RC Steering Bushings show up next week, I was hoping the Metal Cloak rear arms would ship this week. Meanwhile, it's still snowmobile season. 😁

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overdue for an update, I've been too busy playing. The latest:
  • Radflos
  • Icon UCA
  • MetalCloak links and track bar
  • RC Steering Bushings
  • RC Rear Brake relo bracket (only used the bottom bracket)
  • Other random upgrades

I decided against the Total Chaos UCA, I can't return so I need to sell it. The Radflos are great, I did run into some issues that I posted on the suspension page but I had planned to put all the info here.

The rest of the text specific to the Radflos:
The Radflos came with 18" 650lb springs, the 18" length is apparently from an older batch that I bought in March '23, after talking with Radflo (they've been great!!) I know they now come with 16". To me the 650 was way to stiff based on ride quality and the math. Radflo said I could try 18" 600, to me that was going to be too stiff. If stock is 374lb, Fox is 365lb and King is 550, than to me 650/600 is over sprung and it felt like it. I'm a technical trail/rock crawler so I don't want stiff springs that don't allow the suspension to flex. I ran a boatload of numbers, calculated OEM weights, front/rear distribution, every added accessory lbs, people, gear, fuel, water, and basically maxed out the GVWR. I also calculated the SAS and Radflo experienced numbers based on compressed spring length, shaft length, angles, pivots, ran the numbers for desired exposed shaft length at rest, desired spring length at rest, backed into the calculated numbers vs actuals, plus some other numbers. Technically my desired target numbers called for a lower spring than 550, so, I split the difference between what I felt like a validated number from King and what my gut told me.

550 front springs = awesome! At the same pre-load (0 threads showing at the top) the front came down 0.8" compared to 650s that come with the shocks, then I added 3/8" preload back. Added a little preload since then. We wheeled at Walker Valley, the overall setup just made everything easier, so smooth and the little bit of lift kept me from scraping compared to the other two Broncos with us. The suspension absolutely ate up every bump, dip, and pothole on the road.

Since mine came with 18" springs, I figured why 16" and stuck with 18". The reason for 16"? You don't need a massive spring compressor AND the pre-load adjuster won't be right under the reservoir fittings. Stick with 16" springs!! I had to grind the hell out of my spring adjuster to fit under the resi oil line fittings.

The Broncbuster Braces were hitting the driver spring but not the passenger spring. Since I added the RC steering rack bushings I didn't want to toss the braces so I decided to grind down the back of the brace a bit and now it clears.

On the rear, the springs were just fine. Installing the rear resi bracket per instructions, I had to bend the bracket over the top of the frame to clear the tires. My 35x12.5's were hitting the resi in the garage on the jack. If bending them over the frame didn't work I was going to find a new spot in front of the shock. After wheeling hard for a few days I found the front right was hitting the resi and adjuster knob, I thought it was broken but was able to get the knob working again. I don't like how the resi is so close to the OEM skid plate, one good hit and the resi is toast. Sitting 2" over SAS, more to go if I wanted.

Tips: 1. Check with your dealer that the front springs are 16" and not 18". 2. Look into 550s or anything less than 650s for the front. 3. Check the (front and rear) resi clearance, so keep an eye on it before/during/after you hit the trails. Once I go 37s I'll have to rethink where the resi's live.

Next up, Ford Performance tune, @Tricky Dick Frame Horn reinforcement, and Rock Lights.

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8856
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8008

Confirmed with Radflo this is where they want it, took a few tries to get it to clear.
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8161

Swapping to 550lb springs.
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8520

Less than 1/4" difference between OEM SAS w/1.5" level puck (technically 7/8" thick")
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8059
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8540
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8565

I tried plasti dipped rings, that lasted one wheeling trip.
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8220

5 Days wheeling around Naches
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8539

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8877
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8902

Walker Valley
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8543

Florence, OR sand dunes for 3 days! The Bronco was amazing!

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8600

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_8656

June 15 2023.jpeg

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks great! Seems like you're liking the Radflo's well. Are they noisy at all? How are you liking the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's? I'll be ordering 37's within in the next week or so and keep going back between the MT BB A/T and M/T. My brain says A/T for my use, but everything else says M/T! :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
edit: never mind I didn’t read all your post above and found the answer

Last edited:
OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! Seems like you're liking the Radflo's well. Are they noisy at all? How are you liking the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's? I'll be ordering 37's within in the next week or so and keep going back between the MT BB A/T and M/T. My brain says A/T for my use, but everything else says M/T! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks! I do like the Radflos. I think I forgot to mention to tighten all the hose fittings before handling, not all were tight. They’re quiet, I only here the shock going over speed bumps, normal shock sound.

The ATs are aggressive, still super happy with them after running all possible conditions. I think ice handling could be better, still better than any other AT I’ve owned. If/when I do end up with new front axles and steering rack I’ll probably go MTs, mainly to not leave anything on the table after doing that much work. Let me know what you find out and go with!

Edit: I'll go 37s next round

Last edited:

sage729

Big Bend
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Big Bend soft top, Area 51, non SAS, mid pack
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great idea! Did you have to fold the blanket in half?

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great idea! Did you have to fold the blanket in half?
Hi! The blanket I used fit perfectly width wise, lengthwise the back had about 18" to fold back over to fit.

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lights!!
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_0177
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_0173
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_0176
Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_0178

Sponsored
OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

12/21/23 - Parts are arriving! Big upgrades on the way.
-Icon CDEVs and IIC to replace Radflos
-Broncbuster Hoss3 Steering rack, tie rods and braces
-Diff Skidplate - Secret for now!
-Spicer front axels
-Tricky frame horn brace, finally installing
-RockJock track bar relocate
-Replace a RSE step motor
-Fix Morimotos or go back to stock

Ford Bronco AKturbo's "Dirty Betty" Build - Next up...Suspension v4! IMG_0886

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
-Spicer front axels

You are going to LOVE the Icon Electronic Valve Coil-Overs. Go ahead and download the Icon App on your phone so you can adjust the Coil-Overs once installed.

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Overdue for an update, I've been too busy playing. The latest:
  • Radflos
  • Icon UCA
  • MetalCloak links and track bar
  • RC Steering Bushings
  • RC Rear Brake relo bracket (only used the bottom bracket)
  • Other random upgrades

I decided against the Total Chaos UCA, I can't return so I need to sell it. The Radflos are great, I did run into some issues that I posted on the suspension page but I had planned to put all the info here.

The rest of the text specific to the Radflos:
The Radflos came with 18" 650lb springs, the 18" length is apparently from an older batch that I bought in March '23, after talking with Radflo (they've been great!!) I know they now come with 16". To me the 650 was way to stiff based on ride quality and the math. Radflo said I could try 18" 600, to me that was going to be too stiff. If stock is 374lb, Fox is 365lb and King is 550, than to me 650/600 is over sprung and it felt like it. I'm a technical trail/rock crawler so I don't want stiff springs that don't allow the suspension to flex. I ran a boatload of numbers, calculated OEM weights, front/rear distribution, every added accessory lbs, people, gear, fuel, water, and basically maxed out the GVWR. I also calculated the SAS and Radflo experienced numbers based on compressed spring length, shaft length, angles, pivots, ran the numbers for desired exposed shaft length at rest, desired spring length at rest, backed into the calculated numbers vs actuals, plus some other numbers. Technically my desired target numbers called for a lower spring than 550, so, I split the difference between what I felt like a validated number from King and what my gut told me.

550 front springs = awesome! At the same pre-load (0 threads showing at the top) the front came down 0.8" compared to 650s that come with the shocks, then I added 3/8" preload back. Added a little preload since then. We wheeled at Walker Valley, the overall setup just made everything easier, so smooth and the little bit of lift kept me from scraping compared to the other two Broncos with us. The suspension absolutely ate up every bump, dip, and pothole on the road.

Since mine came with 18" springs, I figured why 16" and stuck with 18". The reason for 16"? You don't need a massive spring compressor AND the pre-load adjuster won't be right under the reservoir fittings. Stick with 16" springs!! I had to grind the hell out of my spring adjuster to fit under the resi oil line fittings.

The Broncbuster Braces were hitting the driver spring but not the passenger spring. Since I added the RC steering rack bushings I didn't want to toss the braces so I decided to grind down the back of the brace a bit and now it clears.

On the rear, the springs were just fine. Installing the rear resi bracket per instructions, I had to bend the bracket over the top of the frame to clear the tires. My 35x12.5's were hitting the resi in the garage on the jack. If bending them over the frame didn't work I was going to find a new spot in front of the shock. After wheeling hard for a few days I found the front right was hitting the resi and adjuster knob, I thought it was broken but was able to get the knob working again. I don't like how the resi is so close to the OEM skid plate, one good hit and the resi is toast. Sitting 2" over SAS, more to go if I wanted.

Tips: 1. Check with your dealer that the front springs are 16" and not 18". 2. Look into 550s or anything less than 650s for the front. 3. Check the (front and rear) resi clearance, so keep an eye on it before/during/after you hit the trails. Once I go 37s I'll have to rethink where the resi's live.

Next up, Ford Performance tune, @Tricky Dick Frame Horn reinforcement, and Rock Lights.

Confirmed with Radflo this is where they want it, took a few tries to get it to clear.

Swapping to 550lb springs.

Less than 1/4" difference between OEM SAS w/1.5" level puck (technically 7/8" thick")

I tried plasti dipped rings, that lasted one wheeling trip.

5 Days wheeling around Naches

Walker Valley

Florence, OR sand dunes for 3 days! The Bronco was amazing!

Looks like you may want a Trac Bar Riser to get the Bar more level.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

-Spicer front axels

What’s secret about the diff skid? I need one!

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are going to LOVE the Icon Electronic Valve Coil-Overs. Go ahead and download the Icon App on your phone so you can adjust the Coil-Overs once installed.
I’m really looking forward to it! With Xmas and family here I can’t start the build until the 29th.
Sponsored