rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands SAS, 2017 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I removed the rock rails from my '23 Badlands and installed these powersteps instead. Yes I know, I won't be doing any hard core rock crawling anymore. Not that I ever did. Anyways, I love them so far. I don't need them to climb in and out but my family does. However, I'm running into an issue with the override switch and am wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing and if so, have you overridden it?

https://www.amp-research.com/override-switch/2023/ford/bronco

This is a 3-position switch. Up, down, center.
Center - normal operation with the doors
Down - holds the steps down for up to 30mins whether doors are open or closed so you can wash them or use them to access the roof
Up - holds them in the up position for again, 30mins whether doors are open or closed

It is the up position that is killing me here. Why on earth do they not stay up indefinitely? Why for only 30mins? Since I don't need them myself, when it's just me running around I would like them to remain up permanently, until I return the switch to the center position. Shouldn't matter if the doors are open or closed, vehicle running or off. They should stay up forever when the switch is in the up position IMHO unless someone can shed some light here to make me see otherwise. How am I even supposed to take my doors off without the steps coming down every 30mins? Is there something wrong with the controller? Do I need to install an override switch to override the override switch? Do I need to unplug the controller from the OBD2 port if I want them to stay up? Those are both horrible workarounds.

The worse part about this is that I can't for the life of me seem to get anyone from AMP to answer their god forsaken tech support line. I've tried for weeks now, every weekday, different times of day. Been on hold for 15-30mins every time before giving up. Heck I've even filled out their online tech support request form about 5 days ago and still no one contacts me. They claim a 24-48hr turnaround time. Yeah right. What on earth is going on over there? I'm starting to think I am going to regret making this purchase. How am I to get parts replaced in the future if I can't even talk to anyone?
Sponsored

Westbayou

Wildtrak
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Unplug them and they stay up. Not the hardest thing in the world?

OP
OP
rpeary

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, unplug not hard. Plugging back in carefully as to not bend pins/damage port not so much. Shouldn't have to go through that anyways. The override switch should do it's job and override properly in my opinion.

atlawson

Wildtrak
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022 Wildtrack Lux w/ Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sure, unplug not hard. Plugging back in carefully as to not bend pins/damage port not so much. Shouldn't have to go through that anyways. The override switch should do it's job and override properly in my opinion.
I agree with you they should stay up until you flip the switch back, but I just pull the fuse if I need them to stay up or down longer than 30 minutes.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I removed the rock rails from my '23 Badlands and installed these powersteps instead. Yes I know, I won't be doing any hard core rock crawling anymore. Not that I ever did. Anyways, I love them so far. I don't need them to climb in and out but my family does. However, I'm running into an issue with the override switch and am wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing and if so, have you overridden it?

https://www.amp-research.com/override-switch/2023/ford/bronco

This is a 3-position switch. Up, down, center.
Center - normal operation with the doors
Down - holds the steps down for up to 30mins whether doors are open or closed so you can wash them or use them to access the roof
Up - holds them in the up position for again, 30mins whether doors are open or closed

It is the up position that is killing me here. Why on earth do they not stay up indefinitely? Why for only 30mins? Since I don't need them myself, when it's just me running around I would like them to remain up permanently, until I return the switch to the center position. Shouldn't matter if the doors are open or closed, vehicle running or off. They should stay up forever when the switch is in the up position IMHO unless someone can shed some light here to make me see otherwise. How am I even supposed to take my doors off without the steps coming down every 30mins? Is there something wrong with the controller? Do I need to install an override switch to override the override switch? Do I need to unplug the controller from the OBD2 port if I want them to stay up? Those are both horrible workarounds.

The worse part about this is that I can't for the life of me seem to get anyone from AMP to answer their god forsaken tech support line. I've tried for weeks now, every weekday, different times of day. Been on hold for 15-30mins every time before giving up. Heck I've even filled out their online tech support request form about 5 days ago and still no one contacts me. They claim a 24-48hr turnaround time. Yeah right. What on earth is going on over there? I'm starting to think I am going to regret making this purchase. How am I to get parts replaced in the future if I can't even talk to anyone?
If you put them in center do they stay up? Your description makes it sound like they only stay up for 30 minutes and then come back down. This might just be me.

Sponsored

atlawson

Wildtrak
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you put them in center do they stay up? Your description makes it sound like they only stay up for 30 minutes and then come back down. This might just be me.
On mine center is normal position to work up and down with the door opening.

OP
OP
rpeary

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Center position makes them operate normally with the doors. However, in the up position they will stay up but only for 30mins. If I leave the vehicle with the switch in the up position they will retract, but then if I go back after 30mins and open a door they will deploy, just as if the switch was in the center position. There lies the issue. They should stay up as long as the switch is up.

Again, there could be an issue with the controller, not sure. Wish I could get ahold of their tech support.

atlawson

Wildtrak
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Center position makes them operate normally with the doors. However, in the up position they will stay up but only for 30mins. If I leave the vehicle with the switch in the up position they will retract, but then if I go back after 30mins and open a door they will deploy, just as if the switch was in the center position. There lies the issue. They should stay up as long as the switch is up.

Again, there could be an issue with the controller, not sure. Wish I could get ahold of their tech support.
Mine does the same thing

OP
OP
rpeary

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine does the same thing
Ahh ok. Well there I have it then. Thanks for confirming. Likely no issues with the controller then. Guess I'll need to come up with a convenient "kill switch" without having to unplug things every time I want them to stay up.

atlawson

Wildtrak
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ahh ok. Well there I have it then. Thanks for confirming. Likely no issues with the controller then. Guess I'll need to come up with a convenient "kill switch" without having to unplug things every time I want them to stay up.
I agree with your thinking if you have the switch in the up position then that should maintain it there until you change the switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rpeary

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I also posted this on Bronco Nation whereby someone suggested replacing the 3-position switch with a 2-position ON/OFF switch. I think I may try going this route. At least then I can get them into the desired position then "kill" power to the system. Still contemplating....

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have the instructions? It clearly says that after 30 minutes it reverts back to Auto Operation. I agree that seems dumb. Got a set and the switch but awaiting the Bronco to install.

Note: Running Boards will return to Auto Operation in the next door cycle after 30 minutes.

I've got a set on another vehicle but no switch as that is a newer product. To wash, I always just put my foot on the board when I shut the door and they stay deployed until the next door opening. Thought the switch would be nice but it doesn't see like it's going to work like you would think it should. I guess if taking someplace like the dealer, probably would retract and pull the fuse. Kinda defeats the purpose of the switch though.

So I also posted this on Bronco Nation whereby someone suggested replacing the 3-position switch with a 2-position ON/OFF switch. I think I may try going this route. At least then I can get them into the desired position then "kill" power to the system. Still contemplating....
The only issue with that is you would have to be in the vehicle and turn the switch if you wanted them to stay up.

OP
OP
rpeary

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have the instructions? It clearly says that after 30 minutes it reverts back to Auto Operation. I agree that seems dumb. Got a set and the switch but awaiting the Bronco to install.

Note: Running Boards will return to Auto Operation in the next door cycle after 30 minutes.

I've got a set on another vehicle but no switch as that is a newer product. To wash, I always just put my foot on the board when I shut the door and they stay deployed until the next door opening. Thought the switch would be nice but it doesn't see like it's going to work like you would think it should. I guess if taking someplace like the dealer, probably would retract and pull the fuse. Kinda defeats the purpose of the switch though.

The only issue with that is you would have to be in the vehicle and turn the switch if you wanted them to stay up.
Yes I did see that but was told by a distributor it only applied to the down position. Guess they were wrong!

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes I did see that but was told by a distributor it only applied to the down position. Guess they were wrong!
It seems pretty stupid to me. Why bother even having the $50 switch. I mean if you had them retracted and were afraid of them getting damaged if deployed, why would you want your selection to time out after 30 minutes and revert back to normal operation? Had I seen the instructions before buying, would never of opted for the switch.

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
has anyone been able to wire the switch to the one of the aux switch of the bronco?

i tried contacting tech support and got no help

it looks like you might be able to take the 12v from the aux, step it down to 5v and send it back on the black wire of the override switch to get the "down function" but i wanted to see if anyone had tried something like this first?

thx
Sponsored