jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok - I saw it on an F250, now I'm hooked. Like many others, I am trying to figure out how to get this color to work with a MIC top. I have a day 1 reservation. I do NOT want to mess around with waiting for a black mod top, given the cost, the waiting, and scratches (will be removing the front panels very often). FYI this will be the family hauler 5-7k miles a year. No real offroading needs, but nice to know I have the option. Stance and non-32s are important.

Goal, color wise: Black grille, and body-colored handles and mirrors, leaving the flares unpainted to tie in the MIC top.

Option A - 4 dr Badlands 2.7L Lux, MIC top, 33s. MGV. Unpainted flares to match MIC top.

Cost - After desitination, $200 over invoice, $324 doc fee, and tax - $56,461​
HOWEVER, I would look to paint the handles, mirror caps AMB and grille black. This isnt the right trim, color wise, so I need to work around it. What this trim is getting me is a $3k savings. Not sure if I could paint the grille given the white bronco letters. I could get an OBX grille (preferred) or Wildtrak, but dont want to wait from the factory, or rely on someone local to swap, so maybe I would send all those bits to the paint shop. Figure $1,000 to paint those parts - all in - $57,461​
Pros: Ride height manageable, cost effective, 33 A/Ts better for highway.​
Cons: WEIGHT - And this is important. The car with steel bumpers, bash plates, etc is super heavy, and I need the payload for the cargo, family of 3-4, and possibly a cargo box on the roof. The annoyance of getting all these parts painted and frankensteining it. No power seats, but not the end of the world. No step for my 5-3" wife, so I may need to figure that out. Also waiting for sound deadending, since it's locked out due to weight.​

Option B - 4 dr OBX 2.7L Lux, MIC top, sasquatch, roast leather.

Cost - After desitination, $200 over invoice, $324 doc fee, and tax - $59,735. So over $3k premium to Option A...closer to $2k more if you factor in the painted bits required for Option A.​
Pros: No modding. This is exactly the look I want, with the menacing stance, and OBX grille, but comes at a big premium. Also gets me power seats. Rear cupholders given its leather, but big whoop. Also, this seems to weigh less than the Badlands on 33s, which is very important given my need for cargo/payload. Also, from the look of it, sound deadening to be delivered with the car.​
Cons: COST. Practality - 35 hybrids will not be as good in snow, and this will be in the northeast. We are solely relying on this car for family road trips, visiting family during the winter in northern Mass, etc etc. Higher ride height. Although, on the flip-side, I actually get more payload, so maybe it becomes more practical?​

Option C - PASS
Not really considering, but priced it just to see - Wildtrak lux, as an alternative to Option B. $250 more than option B. Less favorable black grille. What do I get? fog lights and aux switches? Interior is actually preferred to Roast on the OBX, but im somewhat indifferent. Not sure I see the benefit here over Option B, unless I'm missing some other content I'm unaware of. Would rather get the OBX grille and save $250.​

Option D - PASS
Non sasquatch OBX 2.7L lux. Higher gearing from factory. Keep the rims, upgrade the tires, and hope they fit. Given I would have painted fenders, I would look to forgeo the MIC top (since everything on the car is painted). Meaning I am pigeon holing myself to get a black mod top 6 months out, and paying 3k+ to get it, then living with the scratches and wear and tear on the top. I want to avoid going down this route.​

...as a fall back to above, the path of least resistance is to get a Badlands 2.7L lux with Area 51. Everything ties together look-wise, no modding, BL stock grille, unpainted handles mirrors, MIC top everything works perfecly with Area 51 paint right out of the box. I'm just not so sure on Area 51 for a long term hold (want to keep the car for 10 years). It looks good in the heat of the moment, but the color may not be "me" like red "isnt me"...AMB just feels right. That may all change when I see the Area 51 on a Bronco Sport next month, but my subconcious is telling me to proceed with caution on A51 However, this would save me $3,200 over Option B and $1,000 over Option A (given I dont need to custom paint parts).

So what do you guys think? Any input is appreciated. It would be great to hear your opinions on the cost to paint these parts for Option A, and any opinions on the 35s. Otherwise, it seems like more a "cost" thing, but open to suggestions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Allot of manufacturers offer painted mirror caps and handle covers, haven't seen anything from Ford though so maybe aftermarket will offer or the parts desk. Also look up Jeep handles, they have a few in chrome which would be interesting with the AMB (see below).

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options 110420 (1)

Either way I think the AMB will play on the black trim and the gray MIC (or black top) just fine.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
leaving the flares unpainted to tie in the MIC top.
I've seen a few people mention the MIC top matching the MIC flares. You are aware that Molded In Color doesn't mean the same color right ? The top is MIC gray while the flares are MIC black .

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've seen a few people mention the MIC top matching the MIC flares. You are aware that Molded In Color doesn't mean the same color right ? The top is MIC gray while the flares are MIC black .
yup. I'm aware. I feel that leaving the flares unpainted somewhat helps bring in the MIC top, especially on AMB. If the flares were painted, and everything painted (like on the OBX non-sasquatch) then the MIC top would stand out like a sore thumb, and a cheap part in need of upgrading.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok - I saw it on an F250, now I'm hooked. Like many others, I am trying to figure out how to get this color to work with a MIC top. I have a day 1 reservation. I do NOT want to mess around with waiting for a black mod top, given the cost, the waiting, and scratches (will be removing the front panels very often). FYI this will be the family hauler 5-7k miles a year. No real offroading needs, but nice to know I have the option. Stance and non-32s are important.

Goal, color wise: Black grille, and body-colored handles and mirrors, leaving the flares unpainted to tie in the MIC top.

Option A - 4 dr Badlands 2.7L Lux, MIC top, 33s. MGV. Unpainted flares to match MIC top.

HOWEVER, I would look to paint the handles, mirror caps AMB and grille black. This isnt the right trim, color wise, so I need to work around it. What this trim is getting me is a $3k savings. Not sure if I could paint the grille given the white bronco letters. I could get an OBX grille (preferred) or Wildtrak, but dont want to wait from the factory, or rely on someone local to swap, so maybe I would send all those bits to the paint shop. Figure $1,000 to paint those parts - all in - $57,461​
Cons: WEIGHT - And this is important. The car with steel bumpers, bash plates, etc is super heavy, and I need the payload for the cargo, family of 3-4, and possibly a cargo box on the roof. The annoyance of getting all these parts painted and frankensteining it. No power seats, but not the end of the world. No step for my 5-3" wife, so I may need to figure that out. Also waiting for sound deadending, since it's locked out due to weight.​

Cost - After desitination, $200 over invoice, $324 doc fee, and tax - $59,735. So over $3k premium to Option A...closer to $2k more if you factor in the painted bits required for Option A.​
Pros: No modding. This is exactly the look I want, with the menacing stance, and OBX grille, but comes at a big premium. Also gets me power seats. Rear cupholders given its leather, but big whoop. Also, this seems to weigh less than the Badlands on 33s, which is very important given my need for cargo/payload. Also, from the look of it, sound deadening to be delivered with the car.​
Cons: COST. Practality - 35 hybrids will not be as good in snow, and this will be in the northeast. We are solely relying on this car for family road trips, visiting family during the winter in northern Mass, etc etc. Higher ride height. Although, on the flip-side, I actually get more payload, so maybe it becomes more practical?​

Option C - PASS
Not really considering, but priced it just to see - Wildtrak lux, as an alternative to Option B. $250 more than option B. Less favorable black grille. What do I get? fog lights and aux switches? Interior is actually preferred to Roast on the OBX, but im somewhat indifferent. Not sure I see the benefit here over Option B, unless I'm missing some other content I'm unaware of. Would rather get the OBX grille and save $250.​

Option D - PASS
Non sasquatch OBX 2.7L lux. Higher gearing from factory. Keep the rims, upgrade the tires, and hope they fit. Given I would have painted fenders, I would look to forgeo the MIC top (since everything on the car is painted). Meaning I am pigeon holing myself to get a black mod top 6 months out, and paying 3k+ to get it, then living with the scratches and wear and tear on the top. I want to avoid going down this route.​

...as a fall back to above, the path of least resistance is to get a Badlands 2.7L lux with Area 51. Everything ties together look-wise, no modding, BL stock grille, unpainted handles mirrors, MIC top everything works perfecly with Area 51 paint right out of the box. I'm just not so sure on Area 51 for a long term hold (want to keep the car for 10 years). It looks good in the heat of the moment, but the color may not be "me" like red "isnt me"...AMB just feels right. That may all change when I see the Area 51 on a Bronco Sport next month, but my subconcious is telling me to proceed with caution on A51 However, this would save me $3,200 over Option B and $1,000 over Option A (given I dont need to custom paint parts).

So what do you guys think? Any input is appreciated. It would be great to hear your opinions on the cost to paint these parts for Option A, and any opinions on the 35s. Otherwise, it seems like more a "cost" thing, but open to suggestions.
reached a similar conclusion re: AMB vs A51.

Now I’m wrestling with the AMB color scheme: AMB with gray/silver or AMB with black.

Sponsored

Musicalfisherman

Badlands
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Option C - PASS

Option D - PASS

I've had a similar debate with myself. The only difference is I'm getting a Badlands no matter what. I was going to get the AMB, paint the top, grille, and fenders, but then I saw this picture and realized the entire part that the mirrors mount to (runs in front of the windshield, don't know what to call it) - that part is a funky grey color as well. I decided the headache of painting everything just wasn't worth it.

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options AMB 3

I think Area 51 is one of the best color options that just works with the MIC top. It is one of my top two options. I saw another thread with the Velocity Blue raptor - and I think that color will play well with the MIC grey based on the grey in this picture. Velocity blue is my new #2 choice.
Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options Velocity

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Now I’m wrestling with the AMB color scheme: AMB with gray/silver or AMB with black.
I think silver adds to many different shades of gray - grille/flares/MIC against a near black backdrop may not be the best. Some photos below. But who knows. Maybe it will look good. One benefit is that you could just order an AMB BL, see if it grows on you in stock form then decide to custom paint or swap parts.

IDK a part of my feel like AMB is a polished look that doesn’t really belong on a rugged car with all these unpainted parts. I could easily envision it on say a Range Rover or sporty X5, but not a wrangler. While I love the color maybe I’m chasing it for the wrong car.

C82CD3EC-E768-41D1-8E29-FBBC7BBCF177.png

AFCE6626-7129-41CC-AC2F-0DD994F212B6.png

6A77DBA3-EDB7-47B6-8481-E35223F471ED.png

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And as much as I like A51 such as this...

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options D82F90A9-FA91-4DA8-83BA-A0C584689029

the moment I ever catching looking like this, I’m going to think, yikes, I waited a year for some baby blue car??

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options C4F2ED68-A26B-41DD-8FFB-04937094BEE3

Then a month before we need to order, and I see THIS. And I think, how do I not get that? And what do I need to do to get that to work on a bronco? It may look black in many scenarios, but at least I won’t be embarrassed by it, like a car that shifts to bright robins egg

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options CEDAE659-CD3C-42BC-879E-57A48D396948

Ford Bronco Antimatter blue - Need opinions on a few build options E13DCD2D-1855-467E-B6A6-34DE09A68237

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Case closed

OBX AMB 2.7 lux, roast interior MIC top. Higher gearing. NOT lifted but cram 275/70/R18s KO2s (33.2) fill up the wheel wells and get a 0.55 lift in the process. Allows me to keep painted fenders since I’m not going squatch (which IMO is a nice horizontal surface to steal some blue AMB pops from the sun, against the vertical side slab which will basically be black. OBX gets me all the other painted bits and black grille. And to top it off, steel bumper. Don’t want that faded plastic bumper taking away from the black/dark blue face. It will look MENACING head on.

that build with the tires is almost dollar for dollar to a Badlands 2.7 lux Marine grade vinyl out of pocket. But get a better look, manageable ride height with side steps which IMO is a bit more practical. Sport mode, power seats etc. More payload too for cargo

Super pumped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Just curious - are you sticking with AMB with the badlands/silver/mic combo or something else?

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious - are you sticking with AMB with the badlands/silver/mic combo or something else?
I haven’t given much thought lately since the timetable keeps getting pushed out.

As of now...and after revisiting this post with the glorious truck above....yes, I’m sticking with it (for now).
Sponsored