Sponsored

Any way to remove the speed limitations...

jkelley0021

Wildtrak
First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I gotta ask, why do you need to push a brick through the atmosphere at 103 mph? The 101 moves fast sometimes, but never at 100+
I've done 129 on the 101, but that was in my Challenger 🤔
Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Without a major increase in power you will likely be drag limited to about 120-ish. Aerodynamics are going to kick it's ass and it will take big power to overcome that. With a tune I could see 120 being possible.
I've done 131 in a 71 Blazer running 37's before I shut it down, that engine was pretty comparable to the 2.7L...350hp, 400ft/lbs, so I think it's certainly possible that a Bronco could get close to the same with enough lakebed or test track. The 71 took nearly 3 miles to reach that speed, though part of that was taking it easy on a wide curve to get on a straight section.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've done 131 in a 71 Blazer running 37's before I shut it down, that engine was pretty comparable to the 2.7L...350hp, 400ft/lbs, so I think it's certainly possible that a Bronco could get close to the same with enough lakebed or test track. The 71 took nearly 3 miles to reach that speed, though part of that was taking it easy on a wide curve to get on a straight section.
Your Blazer must of had much more power than you thought. As a comparison the 99-04 Ford Lightnings were rated at 360hp-380hp depending on the year. They were drag limited at 140mph. They are far more aerodynamic than a 72 Blazer or the Bronco. To reach 150mph it took 500whp just to gain that extra 10mph.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your Blazer must of had much more power than you thought. As a comparison the 99-04 Ford Lightnings were rated at 360hp-380hp depending on the year. They were drag limited at 140mph. They are far more aerodynamic than a 72 Blazer or the Bronco. To reach 150mph it took 500whp just to gain that extra 10mph.
I don't honestly know what kind of power it had (and probably won't at this point), I was going on what the previous owner had told me. It's a 388 stroker, 12.5:1 compression, cam, EFI, etc., it certainly doesn't feel like 500rwhp but you're absolutely right, it has a higher drag coefficient than a literal brick and it surprised everyone at the test track, myself included. The tires were howling and it was a wild ride with the top off.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They have, it’s that they can’t sell the tune or they will get the wraith of the EPA or CARB with millions of dollars in fines. You’ll have to go to Canada Ahhhh to get your Bronco tuned
Thats a long way from south Florida but at some point I’m going to have to make the trip. Ah yes the endless amounts of alphabet agencies that our taxes go to for no good reason.

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thats a long way from south Florida but at some point I’m going to have to make the trip. Ah yes the endless amounts of alphabet agencies that our taxes go to for no good reason.
Give it a couple more years the alphabets will move on to other things, next it’ll be jet engines and jet fuel.
Yet what’s funny is they could care less the about other countries. Mining nickel, cobalt and copper to make these stupid ev batteries is not or more destructive to the environment but hey as long as it’s not in our country 🙄.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Give it a couple more years the alphabets will move on to other things, next it’ll be jet engines and jet fuel.
Hey man, don't you wish that evil on me 😒
FAA is bad enough as it is and I don't need to be worrying about losing half my HP because I forgot to fill up the DEF.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only real downside to driving above 85 in a Bronco is watching the fuel gauge race you towards the E right before your eyes.

Sponsored

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did 110 no tune no issues. I don't have goofy urban cowboy tires.

KSJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia,F250,Camry,Harley,Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
God’s speed.

GmaninAZ

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I doubt insurance is a concern here.

@AaronW Have you looked into any tunes? I'm sure a tune can be customized to eliminate the restriction. Plus, the added performance benefits it seems you would need/want.
You can bet your azz that if he wrecks it at The Bonneville Salt Flats, his insurance company will have an issue guaranteed. Read the fine print and there should be a clause reading something about racing.... Why not by a liter sports bike and tempt 186 mph, or Mustang GT Hellcat, Camaro ZL1 or whatever. But like someone else said.... Why?

GmaninAZ

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Harley Davidson FLHX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's a question that doesn't need an answer.
No, it does not. Like some famous guy said many years ago: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
What's next, doing Moab in a Stingray, just because you can? Just sayin....
Sponsored

Last edited: