Sponsored

Anyone have a good recommendation for a torque stick?

Nacl_Wander

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m looking at getting a 1/2 drive 100 ft/lbs torque stick for quick tire fixes using a 250 ft/lbs impact wrench. Something that will be trail worthy and not get wrecked like a torque wrench in the back.

Bad idea? Anyone have a favorite brand that’s decently accurate?
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Practice with settings on your electric impact with a torque wrench at home. You don’t need a torque wrench on the trail. I don’t use one at all unless I’m building an engine.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it's a trail fix just give it a couple grunts and call it good. Retorque it properly when you get home.

Rotate your tires in the driveway and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the proper torque should feel like. As long as you're using the same length wrench on the trail you'll have a calibrated elbow in no time.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m looking at getting a 1/2 drive 100 ft/lbs torque stick for quick tire fixes using a 250 ft/lbs impact wrench. Something that will be trail worthy and not get wrecked like a torque wrench in the back.

I have a HF 1/2” drive torque wrench in my Bronco bag of trail tools - it even came in an injection molded case. I wouldn’t use it to build a motor but for $10 it gives me peace of mind that my lugs will be “close enough”

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Capri tools, but really, any torque stick purchased from Home Depot or reputable vendor will be fine.

With torque sticks, the amount of torque delivered will vary between mid torque and high torque impact wrenches. Between the two, mid torque wrenches will generally exceed the torque spec of the torque stick.

In the garage, I use a 80ft/lbs torque stick, then use a torque wrench to dial in the correct spec.

Sponsored

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a HF 1/2” drive torque wrench in my Bronco bag of trail tools - it even came in an injection molded case. I wouldn’t use it to build a motor but for $10 it gives me peace of mind that my lugs will be “close enough”
HFT for me as well for a simple, quick, cheap torque check.

And the quality on HF tools has really improved that they're comproable or better than Craftsman/Cobalt, Husky and the low-end Grainger offerings.

Ford Bronco Anyone have a good recommendation for a torque stick? Screenshot_20231210_000104

poopy_pants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I have some from Sears that are almost 30 years old and I use them regularly and still get torque close. You can get a Craftsman set on Amazon that are made in the USA and around $70. For what you're thinking about it will work perfect. I usually use the one slightly smaller than my final torque and then finish it off with a torque wrench but that's for my typical in driveway maintenance. I highly recommend a non-marring impact socket as well.
Sponsored