Sponsored

Anyone upgraded the OEM light bulbs yet?

OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My lighting goal is overkill (I used 12 of these suckers for rock lights) but I actually think it is perfect. The camera overdoes it a bit. I wired a switch straight to the battery with the aux cables. I want it to be always powered. I'm sure there is a better way but it is so easy with the aux wires. It is perfect since the stock led provides low light and you can hit the switch to get full brightness.

Edit: Also, I didn't mount anything on the top so I still have the lights without it. If you did one Cyclone stuck to the hardtop it would work great.

Another Edit: Get a $6 12v adapter and test the lights ahead of time. I did a lot of testing to get it the way I wanted it.
PXL_20220529_035809030.jpg
Thx again! I love that blue. The roll cage looks fantastic with the interior.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My lighting goal is overkill (I used 12 of these suckers for rock lights) but I actually think it is perfect. The camera overdoes it a bit. I wired a switch straight to the battery with the aux cables. I want it to be always powered. I'm sure there is a better way but it is so easy with the aux wires. It is perfect since the stock led provides low light and you can hit the switch to get full brightness.

Edit: Also, I didn't mount anything on the top so I still have the lights without it. If you did one Cyclone stuck to the hardtop it would work great.

Another Edit: Get a $6 12v adapter and test the lights ahead of time. I did a lot of testing to get it the way I wanted it.
PXL_20220529_035809030.jpg
Really like that this is still useful without the top. I wonder about mounting one lower so that it it would be inside a cargo enclosures.
Could you share more details on where you mounted and wired the switch?

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really like that this is still useful without the top. I wonder about mounting one lower so that it it would be inside a cargo enclosures.
Could you share more details on where you mounted and wired the switch?
You can mount the lights to just about anything. I would imagine you would just mount them directly to the enclosure. Not sure if it would work but you could get a couple of the lights ($30) and a 12 v adapter and see if you like it. They have magnet mounts. I used magnets for most of the rock lights.

Wiring is easy but hard to explain. If you pop the rear panel where the Aux wire ends, it is easy to see what to do. I put the switch right below the 12 v plug. There is plenty of room. Then run a wire up the roll cage, there are holes there. And then I ran wires down through the speaker pods. The lights are attached to the lower speaker pod bolt with a little piece of metal with 2 holes I got off some U bolts and just bent.

There are some youtube videos about removing the back panel. With the 2 door, there is no need to fully remove the panel, which takes way more work. I just popped the top connectors and there was plenty of room to do the work.

OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ideally, I'd want to wire the lights by tapping into the current courtesy lights so that they all go on and off together, and also have a switch to activate them when needed.
I say ideally, since I have zero knowledge in electrical work.
And how I'd tap into that AFTER the optional on switch is woosh.
Sponsored