Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
AR | SADDLEBAG Tailgate Modular Mount

In my time detailing and paint correcting our Bronco, I pulled off the spare tire to compound and polish behind it. Three lug nuts and the spare comes off. Humm... Since that's off, let's go ahead and pull the mount bracket for the spare. Eight bolts and that comes off. I ask my sons Rocco and Broderick to hold onto it as I remove the last couple bolts. I'm expecting it to be this plastic covered chunky piece of metal...

It's basically all plastic.

We've had SADDLEBAG on our design board for a while. I didn't think it would come toward the upper part of the list so quickly. I LOVE modular designs, and this, like the Roof Rack, we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at. The most basic form of the SADDLEBAG will be a spare tire mount delete. From there, brackets can be added that join the tailgate hinges with the modular base plate. You can also add back a stronger/better billet spare tire mount. Due to the size of the items, MaxTrax on the driver side of the spare and Rotopax or a NATO Jerry Can on the passenger side. We can also go HiLift jack on the driver side. Really we just need to clear the door handle on one side and not block the tail light on the other.

With the modular base plate, we'll be able to continuously evolve what mounts where and how it mounts. I would expect renders in a couple weeks of the initial designs. The stripped down tailgate is getting 3D scanned tomorrow for further R&D and modeling. Let me know what your thoughts are and what you'd want to see incorporated. Like the other projects, the community's input is welcome.

4262954A-ECB5-4B81-B683-9C07B969A2E7.jpeg

939F5F20-1682-4BAD-BB86-422984A0D280.jpeg

0C9B98F5-C957-4C4B-AF1D-EB56FFF63748.jpeg

5FCF9AD2-B7C5-4CEF-8359-080ED2BF23DF.jpeg

272CAD91-3BB6-4DA2-9F5B-C0717455A012.jpeg

2661743F-ED06-45C0-A825-821181F243D2.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
<RESERVED>

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3rd brake light height adjustability

Sponsored
OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
3rd brake light height adjustability
That thing, by itself is hideous...

Figuring out a solution for it is definitely on the list.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just curious what that tailgate can hold. I know Jeeps have problems with the standard tailgate hinges. Sounds like a fun project as long as the tailgate can support it all. A place to carry gas outside the vehicle is the biggest thing.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my time detailing and paint correcting our Bronco, I pulled off the spare tire to compound and polish behind it. Three lug nuts and the spare comes off. Humm... Since that's off, let's go ahead and pull the mount bracket for the spare. Eight bolts and that comes off. I ask my sons Rocco and Broderick to hold onto it as I remove the last couple bolts. I'm expecting it to be this plastic covered chunky piece of metal...

We've had SADDLEBAG on our design board for a while. I didn't think it would come toward the upper part of the list so quickly. I LOVE modular designs, and this, like the Roof Rack, we'll be throwing the kitchen sink at. The most basic form of the SADDLEBAG will be a spare tire mount delete. From there, brackets can be added that join the tailgate hinges with the modular base plate. You can also add back a stronger/better billet spare tire mount. Due to the size of the items, MaxTrax on the driver side of the spare and Rotopax or a NATO Jerry Can on the passenger side. We can also go HiLift jack on the driver side. Really we just need to clear the door handle on one side and not block the tail light on the other.

With the modular base plate, we'll be able to continuously evolve what mounts where and how it mounts. I would expect renders in a couple weeks of the initial designs. The stripped down tailgate is getting 3D scanned tomorrow for further R&D and modeling. Let me know what your thoughts are and what you'd want to see incorporated. Like the other projects, the community's input is welcome.

Ford Bronco AR | SADDLEBAG  Tailgate Modular Mount 2661743F-ED06-45C0-A825-821181F243D2
Will since the spare tire mount is off can you make a heavy duty one to hold the weight of 37's.;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SEND IT! 😁

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatever doesn't bolt on needs to be able to be secured so as to not be burgled easily.
Example- your saddlebag I assume would bolt into the factory positions for the spare tire mount, and things bolt onto it from there (and maybe incorporating a hinge reinforcement as well). I'd like it so that the Jerry Cans can't be easily removed in a hotel parking lot, MaxTraxx, etc. Rotopax makes pretty good locking retainers for their products.
I like the simplicity of the design of a competitor, which uses a strap around the tire itself, but it lends itself to being very easy for others to relieve you of your off-road goodies quite silently and easily in a dark parking lot.

Ease-of-use, security, price, and modularity are all important. And to me personally, in that order of importance.

I like where this is going.

My 2 cents: make it also where in the future if those who do a swing-away carrier can utilize that bolt-on location for maybe an offset carrier of items on either side of a flat plate where the tire would go on this...If that makes sense, or is even do-able.
Possibly a design from the get-go where the center portion is a blank with the tire carrier being able to be bolted on through the back side with flush-mounted panhead allen bolts, but the base itself is versatile for gate-mounted or swing-away bumper-mounted tire carriers....one design, both uses covered.
I hope I didn't make that too convoluted or messy...

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the thing we need. Big item storage for those of us with soft tops. If you're making a new tire mount, can you find a different way to mount the rear view camera so that it doesn't collect water on the lens like the factory one does.
Sponsored