Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And yes, the entire 89/89a might be one of the best roads in the continental US, there's a nice side jaunt out of sedona to flagstaff called 'Schnebly Hill' that's fun for the jeep folks too.
Been a Jeep guy for a long time, but will also have a Bronco some day. Looking like 2022 for me, although I guess there is a slight chance of 2021.
Sponsored

AZBronco73

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands SAS, 2015 Dodge Durango
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was looking at Crown King, how difficult is that? Since it may just be my daughter and I was leaning towards easy runs. Was thinking that one would be better if I was able to meetup with someone in the area.
Most of the trail I would consider easy, with a couple of spots that would be considered moderate. On a 1-10 scale, I would consider Mt Lemon a 1-2 and the backroad to crown king about a 4. If you are really wanting something more like mt lemon level of trails, you can still do a ride to crown king via the Bumble Bee exit off I-17 north of Phx as it is a graded fire road that way that my wife was even able to take our mini van down when my rhino had issues and I had to be trailered out (it was really slow and bumpy as hell in the mini van, but she still made it.).

Reactions: cmb
OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Most of the trail I would consider easy, with a couple of spots that would be considered moderate. On a 1-10 scale, I would consider Mt Lemon a 1-2 and the backroad to crown king about a 4. If you are really wanting something more like mt lemon level of trails, you can still do a ride to crown king via the Bumble Bee exit off I-17 north of Phx as it is a graded fire road that way that my wife was even able to take our mini van down when my rhino had issues and I had to be trailered out (it was really slow and bumpy as hell in the mini van, but she still made it.).
While I would enjoy the backway more may end up taking the fire road. Just tried joining a couple area jeep groups on fb to see if there are any group runs planned during our time there. Did that last year in Tucson and was able to join a group going out.

budfleck

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2024 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I would enjoy the backway more may end up taking the fire road. Just tried joining a couple area jeep groups on fb to see if there are any group runs planned during our time there. Did that last year in Tucson and was able to join a group going out.
Had your trip been a week earlier or later I would had offered to lead you up the back way but I have commitments the weekend of the 13th. This trail has a large amount of traffic on the weekends so you could always find some one willing to let you tag along. But the remoteness and lack of traffic on a week day made it sketchy to run alone.

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, was looking at the Prescott-Jerome-Sedona areas to spend a few nights. Was not aware of the Cinders area, that sounds really cool.
Cinders is bad ass. Especially when you get way back in there. It seems to never end. You get over one hill and there are 3 more. It's truly amazing.

Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks, was looking at the Prescott-Jerome-Sedona areas to spend a few nights. Was not aware of the Cinders area, that sounds really cool.
I second Jerome for a quirky/fun town. Sedona is a lil touristy, but shit it's real pretty.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Had your trip been a week earlier or later I would had offered to lead you up the back way but I have commitments the weekend of the 13th. This trail has a large amount of traffic on the weekends so you could always find some one willing to let you tag along. But the remoteness and lack of traffic on a week day made it sketchy to run alone.
Guess my timing was a little off. Tried joining a couple Jeep groups in the area on facebook last night. If/when I get accepted will see if there are any runs going out while I am there.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cinders is bad ass. Especially when you get way back in there. It seems to never end. You get over one hill and there are 3 more. It's truly amazing.
Think I am going to try and fit his one in. Sounds like a really cool area, think the daughter will really like it.

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I second Jerome for a quirky/fun town. Sedona is a lil touristy, but shit it's real pretty.
Looking like we may stay a night in Jerome when we leave Phoenix.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was looking at Crown King, how difficult is that? Since it may just be my daughter and I was leaning towards easy runs. Was thinking that one would be better if I was able to meetup with someone in the area.
I would only recommend Crown King for lifted vehicles only. 11"+ of ground clearance. It's only needed for one part of the trail where your litterally driving along a stream bed filled with large cobbles and boulders. And a spotter is recommended for it for tire placement. But I recommend starting it at or before sunrise since it gets crowed quickly. I must have passed 15+ Jeeps on the way back down and there were more waiting at the bottom.

Sponsored

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What does “awesome “ mean???
awesome

ADJECTIVE
  1. extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought about your trip last week...

You said something about not too difficult. My daughter picked a camping spot last week for us that was east of Mund's Park (just south of Flagstaff). If you take the Mund's Park exit and head east it turns into a forest service road that isn't too hairy. Just generally a drive around the forest on a road covered in ruts and rocks.

If you want spectacular scenery and not too horrible off-roading, I would drive the length of FR300 along the Mogollon (sp?) Rim. That's my favorite camping area and one of the first trips I'm taking with my Bronco.

(The back side of Mt. Lemmon is my first. And if I feel courageous enough, Rice Peak will be second or third.)

OP
OP
cmb

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought about your trip last week...

You said something about not too difficult. My daughter picked a camping spot last week for us that was east of Mund's Park (just south of Flagstaff). If you take the Mund's Park exit and head east it turns into a forest service road that isn't too hairy. Just generally a drive around the forest on a road covered in ruts and rocks.

If you want spectacular scenery and not too horrible off-roading, I would drive the length of FR300 along the Mogollon (sp?) Rim. That's my favorite camping area and one of the first trips I'm taking with my Bronco.

(The back side of Mt. Lemmon is my first. And if I feel courageous enough, Rice Peak will be second or third.)
Will keep this in mind for the next time we are in AZ, thanks
Sponsored