Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey gents, got a question.

I picked up my Big Bend 4MT a couple weeks ago and am currently on a pretty long family trip to Appalachia. The air BnB we are staying at is on the side of a mountain and the dirt road to get to it is frankly a bit ridiculous in places, so I have been engaging the 4WD for the approach. Now to start off, I don't know much at all about 4WD mechanically except a little theory, and have been planning on doing some heavy homework before I do any serious off-roading. I understand the basics of 4H/4L, what the crawl gear is and how/when to use it. I've been in 4 high going anywhere from 20mph to maybe 5mph around some hairpin turns on pretty scary angles going to this place, and I noticed a kind of burning smell after reaching my destination and parking. It is not a burning clutch smell, and it's not the breaks. Has only happened after using the 4WD. Should I be running 4-low when I'm doing 10mph and under? I've had to go pretty slow at times--lots of multi-point turns trying to get into places or turn around, often at extremely steep grades. It's funny, the air BnB ad said you are good to come with a 2WD car--I would shit my pants trying to get in here in my Focus LOL. Am I doing anything wrong, or should I be concerned about the smell? My assumption was that I am smelling the burning off of some coatings unique to the 4WD system, but I also put about 600 miles on my two week-old car in three days (mostly 65mph highway in cruise control, total mileage is already almost 1200) so I am at least a bit concerned.

One last question, is there a good resource for learning the ins and outs of 4WD vehicles and their employment? I plan on keeping this car until it falls apart and I need 4WD at least three months out of the year, but I want to know what I'm doing and how to keep this vehicle in good shape. So far, I am extremely pleased with this car, has exceeded my expectations in every regard. I'm averaging right at 21mpg in town and hit a bit over 25mph on the highway.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Casual Pork

Black Diamond
First Name
Cardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey there--I'm planning a trip out there next month and wonder if you could share the BnB info. Thx

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up my Big Bend 4MT a couple weeks ago and am currently on a pretty long family trip to Appalachia. The air BnB we are staying at is on the side of a mountain and the dirt road to get to it is frankly a bit ridiculous in places, so I have been engaging the 4WD for the approach. Now to start off, I don't know much at all about 4WD mechanically except a little theory, and have been planning on doing some heavy homework before I do any serious off-roading. I understand the basics of 4H/4L, what the crawl gear is and how/when to use it. I've been in 4 high going anywhere from 20mph to maybe 5mph around some hairpin turns on pretty scary angles going to this place, and I noticed a kind of burning smell after reaching my destination and parking. It is not a burning clutch smell, and it's not the breaks. Has only happened after using the 4WD. Should I be running 4-low when I'm doing 10mph and under? I've had to go pretty slow at times--lots of multi-point turns trying to get into places or turn around, often at extremely steep grades. It's funny, the air BnB ad said you are good to come with a 2WD car--I would shit my pants trying to get in here in my Focus LOL. Am I doing anything wrong, or should I be concerned about the smell? My assumption was that I am smelling the burning off of some coatings unique to the 4WD system, but I also put about 600 miles on my two week-old car in three days (mostly 65mph highway in cruise control, total mileage is already almost 1200) so I am at least a bit concerned.

One last question, is there a good resource for learning the ins and outs of 4WD vehicles and their employment? I plan on keeping this car until it falls apart and I need 4WD at least three months out of the year, but I want to know what I'm doing and how to keep this vehicle in good shape. So far, I am extremely pleased with this car, has exceeded my expectations in every regard. I'm averaging right at 21mpg in town and hit a bit over 25mph on the highway.

Thanks for reading!
I know the smell you mean; it’s the transmission fluid most likely. I smell all the time when out wheeling just on trails after a while.

Your cluster has a tranny temp digital gauge. Normally, it’s no more than 185 degrees. I’ve had mine go up to 223 when in 4H and maybe between 10mph and 25mph in Summer.

These modern trannies I’m told can handle high heat and it doesn’t cook until above 250. A short rest helps bring down the temp as does manual shifting, but sounds like you do have a manual, so not sure why you smell it.

Don’t think it’s an issue, but it is concerning at first. Hopefully a member who’s a mechanic or Ford tech will weigh in, as I’m no expert, just experienced it and asked a few guys on here who I trust.

If getting to that cabin is your first off-roading, sounds like you’ve done a hell of a job. Cheers! 🍻

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

you should be fine in 4H... I am assuming that the road is dirt and you are not using the lockers. Nothing should be burning off. Front diff might be getting up to 170 or 180 degrees F. Maybe something was spilled on the diff that is slowly burning off.... Maybe but I too would be concerned. Does everything else seem normal? steering? motor? braking? any new sounds?.... You said it was not a clutch smell. You should be fine but like you said I would pay close attention to ANY other symptom.

One last question, is there a good resource for learning the ins and outs of 4WD vehicles and their employment?
Off Rodeo! sign up and go.....

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I know the smell you mean; it’s the transmission fluid most likely. I smell all the time when out wheeling just on trails after a while.

Your cluster has a tranny temp digital gauge. Normally, it’s no more than 185 degrees. I’ve had mine go up to 223 when in 4H and maybe between 10mph and 25mph in Summer.

These modern trannies I’m told can handle high heat and it doesn’t cook until above 250. A short rest helps bring down the temp as does manual shifting, but sounds like you do have a manual, so not sure why you smell it.

Don’t think it’s an issue, but it is concerning at first. Hopefully a member who’s a mechanic or Ford tech will weigh in, as I’m no expert, just experienced it and asked a few guys on here who I trust.

If getting to that cabin is your first off-roading, sounds like you’ve done a hell of a job. Cheers! 🍻
But it sounds (inferred) that he is running a manual.... Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: you mention that...

Sponsored

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is good info. Plus, if you did have your lockers engaged and the road/surface didn’t allow some tire spin/slip you’d know it. It would feel binding in turns and you’d even get some studder like feeling. As @MadMan4BamaNATL said 4-H should be fine.

Regarding resources, you might check around your area and find a local club or some local folks. They don’t have to be Broncos (although that would be great) but most off-roading minded folks are MORE than happy to share knowledge and help.

Bevans86

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outerbanks- Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Thanks for reading!
Yup good question, I know that smell!

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hi
After changing the FORD transmission tank cover for MISHIMOTO. And have taken all precautions to prevent loss of oil when changing parts. For 3 days a strong smell of burnt rubber invaded the interior of the BRONCO. After 3 days the smell disappeared. check if there is an oil leak.
TRACKTOY

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is good info. Plus, if you did have your lockers engaged and the road/surface didn’t allow some tire spin/slip you’d know it. It would feel binding in turns and you’d even get some studder like feeling. As @MadMan4BamaNATL said 4-H should be fine.

Regarding resources, you might check around your area and find a local club or some local folks. They don’t have to be Broncos (although that would be great) but most off-roading minded folks are MORE than happy to share knowledge and help.
Hey you’re right, and I forgot to add the part about the rear locker.

When engaging the GOAT mode mud and ruts, the rear locker is auto engaged. I have to be consious to disengage it and there had been times when I’d forgotten and then the temp goes up. I then would realize my mistake and turn it off. Also manual shift as well so the tranny isn’t hunting gears.

Anyway, I’m at 10K and already have changed and upgraded the gear oil. Also installed the Ford Performance rear diff cover to give myself a drain for easy changes.

When I upgrade the tranny pan, will of course change that oil as well. No, it hasn’t cooked, but since it’s been close, I won’t go over 20K miles before doing so. Don’t care what the manual says.

When off-road, I’ve now changed my philosophy; 2H for as long as I can go, then 4A, then 4H. If rocky, 4L and I only engage rear if losing grip and starting to get stuck and front locker only if stuck and only in a straight line of course.

OP
OP

spittle8

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was in normal GOAT mode, rear locker was not engaged. No other symptoms, nothing unusual going on. I did stall once or twice moving from a stop on a steep grade--embarrassing but I was trying not to give the tranny too much juice in case I'd spin the wheels or lurch forward too fast. There was a lot of clutch work, making small adjustments on a steep grade with very little room to maneuver and with the risk of sliding off the mountain the clutch got a lot of use but I didn't feel it should have been an issue. Didn't smell like burning clutch to me. Not sure when I'll be using 4WD next but l will update here if there are more malodorous events!
Sponsored