Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking the pressure plate didn't fully engage the disc for some reason. Maybe some contaminant on the disc?

My pickup was doing exactly what you describe when the friction disc was finally used up, but it didn't start working again later because it was metal on metal at that point.

Oh and there's absolutely nothing wrong with skip shifting if you're not lugging the engine, some cars even force it from the factory.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip what say you? Looking for some constructive advice here and you've helped me and others in the past with a myriad of issues, large and small.
It sounds like a smoked clutch based on what you've posted. If the friction disk is dragging it will be more difficult to get into gear which could explain the reason for it not feeling fully engaged. I doubt the FP tune caused problems since it's mainly a fuel mapping program and shouldn't have anything to do with the manual setup.

The question is what happened, right? In most cases it's going to be a driver slipping the clutch, oil leak onto the friction either from engine or trans input seal (early Focus DPS6 were notorious for this), mechanically failed friction disk (rare), throw out bearing stuck on input snout partially holding pressure plate disengaged (rare) or mechanically weak/bad pressure plate (have seen this on OE replacements out of the box mainly super dutys).

Not going to speculate which but unless it's an oil leak, chances of Ford covering it are going to be slim. We've seen some mustang customers smoke clutches and go warranty shopping for a dealer to even consider looking at it. Most of the time it's the conversation that it's likely not going to be covered and they try to argue but Ford has really cracked down on clutches, brakes, wiper blades, tires, etc.

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like a smoked clutch based on what you've posted. If the friction disk is dragging it will be more difficult to get into gear which could explain the reason for it not feeling fully engaged. I doubt the FP tune caused problems since it's mainly a fuel mapping program and shouldn't have anything to do with the manual setup.

The question is what happened, right? In most cases it's going to be a driver slipping the clutch, oil leak onto the friction either from engine or trans input seal (early Focus DPS6 were notorious for this), mechanically failed friction disk (rare), throw out bearing stuck on input snout partially holding pressure plate disengaged (rare) or mechanically weak/bad pressure plate (have seen this on OE replacements out of the box mainly super dutys).

Not going to speculate which but unless it's an oil leak, chances of Ford covering it are going to be slim. We've seen some mustang customers smoke clutches and go warranty shopping for a dealer to even consider looking at it. Most of the time it's the conversation that it's likely not going to be covered and they try to argue but Ford has really cracked down on clutches, brakes, wiper blades, tires, etc.
I appreciate the response, @flip

It seems to be driving ok now, but I did notice a slight lingering smell yesterday after a 20 minute drive on a highway. It wasn't as intense of a smell as the first time. If I had to guess, I slipped the clutch when moving from 4th to 6th gear after hitting about 60 mph.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate the response, @flip

It seems to be driving ok now, but I did notice a slight lingering smell yesterday after a 20 minute drive on a highway. It wasn't as intense of a smell as the first time. If I had to guess, I slipped the clutch when moving from 4th to 6th gear after hitting about 60 mph.
I would think that 4-6 @60 should not be that much of a ratio change to lug down enough to slip. This sounds like the pressure plate is weak or you were just right at the limits of clamping pressure where the conditions were just right (throttle position, speed, gear, load or incline) to make it slip.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would think that 4-6 @60 should not be that much of a ratio change to lug down enough to slip. This sounds like the pressure plate is weak or you were just right at the limits of clamping pressure where the conditions were just right (throttle position, speed, gear, load or incline) to make it slip.
Appreciate it, sir!

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This all only started happening after the Ford performance module upgrade, so I figured it might be something going on with the adjusted timing that comes with that upgrade.
Maybe the stock tune would have been trying to stay out of boost in that particular situation for better fuel economy or emissions but the performance tune was trying to agressively build boost?

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s definitely a slipping clutch. And if you are still getting faint burnt smell, then you are still slipping the clutch. It may have enough material presently to get you going, but it will not for long.

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
**Update**

Burning smell has dissipated a little, but still lingers after driving. I also noticed oil leaking from what looks to be the transfer case. Dropped it off at the dealer today, so hopefully will get some update soon. Based on what I've seen on the forums, in some cases people ended up getting a new transmission, or a variety of parts were ordered to fix the issue(s).
Sponsored