First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving My 2022 Bronco Badlands this morning, I was getting on the highway and shifted from 4th to 6th gear.

It was pretty windy, so a loud whirring sound wasn't noticed by me until I looked down and saw the RPMs were at 5500. It looks to be that the clutch slipped when going into 6th gear. I didn't hear or feel any grinding, just the high rpms and revving sound.

I have a Ford performance upgrade for the 2.3L and my suspicion is that sometimes these slipped shifts happen. Anyways, I get home and get out of the car and smell that dreaded smell we all dread when driving a manual. Letting it air out in the driveway now, but it was pretty damn smelly.

All of that being said, I wanted some feedback or help from anyone on this thread with similar experiences or knowledge of manual transmissions. Any help or diagnoses appreciated, thanks.

Note: only 15k miles on the engine/transmission and all service appts for maintenance and fluid checks are up-to-date.
Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you intend to shift directly from 4th to 6th? I can see maybe 4th to 3rd on accident when you meant to shift to 5th and the high RPMs are indicative of an accidental downshift rather than an accidental upshift. Can we get some clarification on what actually happened?

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure. So, it was definitely a shift from 4th to 6th. The clutch was in 6th position and showed 6th on the display.

What was odd/alarming was that even tho it looked like I was in 6th gear, the RPMs were approaching redline (5500rpms) and I wasn't accelerating that hard. I was going 70mph. There was a loud revving noise as if the transmission was not in the 6th gear completely, and I had to sort of jiggle the shifter towards neutral then back down to 6th to engage the gear. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So firstly, it's either in gear or not. My only thought is if you were really in 6th gear, your clutch is fried. Maybe you're skipping gears too much and lugging too much or slipping the clutch too much and either way you somehow managed to cook one down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you intend to shift directly from 4th to 6th? I can see maybe 4th to 3rd on accident when you meant to shift to 5th and the high RPMs are indicative of an accidental downshift rather than an accidental upshift. Can we get some clarification on what actually happened?
Yep, that was the intent. See further context above.

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're in 6th gear at 70 mph? I'm at 72 mph at 2500 RPM's in 5th, which I find returns the best highway MPG's. I would imagine that you've been lugging your engine if you're doing 70 in 6th, but I'm old, so what do I know?!

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Idk why you would shift that way, but if it was firmly in 6th and turning 5500 rpm then the clutch is SMOKED.
Maybe this guy starts out in 3rd gear? slamms 4th, skips 5th and slips clutch in to 6th...you know, the "eco hypermile" guys used to do this shit, to try to get 30mpg... I always thought it was a dumb idea

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@flip what say you? Looking for some constructive advice here and you've helped me and others in the past with a myriad of issues, large and small.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Idk why you would shift that way, but if it was firmly in 6th and turning 5500 rpm then the clutch is SMOKED.
Definitely not smoked. I've driven it since and there's no smell or mishifting. Just trying to figure out if it's something to do with the Ford Performance module or if it was just a one-off occurrence with the shifter not fully engaging.

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think you would smell the clutch burning if it didn't go into gear. I haven't driven anything with auto rev match yet. I don't know if that would factor into this at all. I assumed it only would blip the throttle on downshifts. I don't think it has a flat foot shift rev limiter type feature or anything.

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think you would smell the clutch burning if it didn't go into gear. I haven't driven anything with auto rev match yet. I don't know if that would factor into this at all. I assumed it only would blip the throttle on downshifts. I don't think it has a flat foot shift rev limiter type feature or anything.
Yeah, it was definitely weird. When learning to drive a manual, I grinded gears here and there when I didn't put the clutch in all the way to change gears. This occurrence had no grinding, just a high rpms when it looked like it was in 6th gear (given the rpm spike, it wasn't.) That's happened to me a couple of times before in lower gears where it looks like it's engaged, but the revs go up suddenly and I have to correct the shift by pressing down a little more firmly on the shifter. This all only started happening after the Ford performance module upgrade, so I figured it might be something going on with the adjusted timing that comes with that upgrade.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely not smoked. I've driven it since and there's no smell or mishifting. Just trying to figure out if it's something to do with the Ford Performance module or if it was just a one-off occurrence with the shifter not fully engaging.
Again, you are either in gear or not. If you don't understand this, take Bronco to service department immediately. Maybe you left the e brake on.

OP
OP
Rd1103

Rd1103

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again, you are either in gear or not. If you don't understand this, take Bronco to service department immediately. Maybe you left the e brake on.
These comments are killing me....
Sponsored