Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, Porsche Cayman S 987, XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just wanted to take a few minutes and write a quick review of a few of the latest mods I have done to my ‘21 BaseSquatch. It’s a 4-door 2.7L for reference.

Whipple Tune and Filter:
I’ve driven about 500 miles on this and I can say that I do think it’s worth the 1K or so if you are looking for a little something extra from your Bronco. I wasn’t trying to make it anything it isn’t, but what I really didn’t want was to lose drivability or MPG. I can safely say neither of those things were impacted, I’m seeing the same MPG as I was before the tune and the drivability has improved with the slightly higher (~10%) shift points. I feel like the vehicle is ‘searching’ for gears a bit less than it was previously.

The real benefit is ‘passing power and confidence’. As you know, our vehicles are biggins - and as someone who spends a good amount of time on 2 lane western sierra roads I now have WAY more confidence in making passing maneuvers in safety. The pickup from 50mph to 80mph is really worth the money spent in my opinion.

MBRP Exhaust:
Admittedly I’ve only had it on for a few days, but I was skeptical of any exhaust on this motor. Thankfully, it’s tone is low and grumbly, doesn’t seem to drone and just let’s you know it’s ‘there’ when you lay into it a bit. Cold starts are nice and burly which is always cool.

I don’t think there will be any exhaust to make this sound like how we want ultimately, it’s still a 2.7L ecoboost and not a V8 - but I wouldn’t say all the comments of “anyone who puts an exhaust on the Bronco is an idiot” are correct.

Anyways, I really appreciate this forum - all of you have been incredibly useful even if you don’t know it and I religiously read and research mods/tricks/tips/maintenance from all of you. I even installed my own ditch lights based on all the wonderful write ups and posts.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for your review. I have a BaseSquatch with the 2.7L on order and would love to add the tune. I read that the tuner deletes the OEM tune and you can't return it to stock.
With the reliability issues of the 2.7L I would be concerned about giving Ford an excuse to deny any warranty work.
Ford Bronco BaseSquatch Mods Review: Whipple Tune+Filter and MBRP exhaust 1645109695006

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great review on the Whipple calibration. Glad you're enjoying it. We're the first to have installed their calibration on our 2.7L first edition and I've been running it for quite sometime now with no issues at all. Same thing as you where the shifts feel great and having the extra power for passing or getting onto a highway is awesome to have.

I've been on a 11 hour road trip with the Whipple cal and saw better than stock fuel economy and my last 4 hour trip to the keys yielded even better fuel economy than the last trip.

Cheers!!!

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just wanted to take a few minutes and write a quick review of a few of the latest mods I have done to my ‘21 BaseSquatch. It’s a 4-door 2.7L for reference.

MBRP Exhaust:
Admittedly I’ve only had it on for a few days, but I was skeptical of any exhaust on this motor. Thankfully, it’s tone is low and grumbly, doesn’t seem to drone and just let’s you know it’s ‘there’ when you lay into it a bit. Cold starts are nice and burly which is always cool.

Anyways, I really appreciate this forum - all of you have been incredibly useful even if you don’t know it and I religiously read and research mods/tricks/tips/maintenance from all of you. I even installed my own ditch lights based on all the wonderful write ups and posts.
Hello @TheMann !!

Could you please tell me exactly what model MBRP Exhaust you installed? I'm currently taking a gander at their Armor Lite Dual Cat-Back.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Do you have to use high octane now?

OP
OP

TheMann

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, Porsche Cayman S 987, XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes, from the tune only. But I was always using 91 here in CA anyway.
Sponsored