Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D Black Diamond Sasquatch Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi All,

I have a 2022 Black Diamond Sasquatch, I've installed rough county winch direct to battery, and 3 sets of lights through the aux switch/relay set up (light bar, ditch lights, and front lights). I left the key fob in the car and went on vacation for 3 weeks. When I came back the bronco was completely dead. I jumped/charged the battery and it looks like the winch was drawing 1 amp when i hooked it up to amp meter while charging it. Not sure if charging battery affects it but it was off and remote control that wasn't plugged in.

I'm going put an amp meter on things later to see if any other draws but I was wondering if anyone else has seen draw from that winch or aux switch set-ups with relay. I'm hoping its just the winch drawing (not sure why ) and I'll just set it up with a relay.

Thanks!
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the rule of thumb is 4w for a normal battery. 1a pull would definitely do it. I wouldn't sweat it, just get a tender if you do this frequently.

I checked my EVO10s winch after I connected and no draw unless engaged.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi All,

I have a 2022 Black Diamond Sasquatch, I've installed rough county winch direct to battery, and 3 sets of lights through the aux switch/relay set up (light bar, ditch lights, and front lights). I left the key fob in the car and went on vacation for 3 weeks. When I came back the bronco was completely dead. I jumped/charged the battery and it looks like the winch was drawing 1 amp when i hooked it up to amp meter while charging it. Not sure if charging battery affects it but it was off and remote control that wasn't plugged in.

I'm going put an amp meter on things later to see if any other draws but I was wondering if anyone else has seen draw from that winch or aux switch set-ups with relay. I'm hoping its just the winch drawing (not sure why ) and I'll just set it up with a relay.

Thanks!

First>>>>>>

Next time you go away for 3 weeks and are not driving the Bronc, take the key fob and put it on the bench or hang it from the wall away from the Bronc. When the fob is in the Bronc it thinks you are going to drive it and it keeps the electronics "on standby" (lots of draw). With the fob out of the Bronc it will "go to sleep" (not as much draw) after not running for a few days.

Note: another good piece of advise is to disconnect the negative battery terminal if not in use for a while. Then when you return and want to drive it just reconnect the battery and you are good to go. Never a dead battery that way.

Second>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You should have a battery disconnect switch on your winch. There should not be any draw by the winch unless it is being used but it is always good insurance to have it on a disco switch so you can turn it off when not in use and if you are using and you have an issue you can kill the power going to it.

Just my 2 cents, I see it every day and it is with every new vehicle out there. These new cars have A LOT of computer draw. If you are not going to drive it, disconnect the negative battery terminal. Best thing you can do.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi All,

Thanks!
Good morning- I can look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

Dez Pony

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Jeep TJ, '19 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have mine sit for long times too. I have used NOCO products fro years and NEVER had a battery problem. Modern vehicles have some draw, So I deal with that with NOCO Genius maintainers. Full info is on the website. I have my Bronco, boat and motorhome, all sit a long time, having NOCO Genius. Gen 5s. My 2011 F350 diesel had 2 AGM batteries, so it had a Genius X2, hooked to both batteries, never died. BTW, my 1997 Jeep TJ has an AGM battery and it sometimes sits a long time and has no NOCO maintainer, but always starts. Old , simple stuff. Check this stuff out!

IMG_1482.jpg

OP
OP
OptimusRossi

OptimusRossi

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4D Black Diamond Sasquatch Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi All,

I ordered a relay for the winch and contacted rough country. I saw one of my LED ditchs lights was drawing .22amps and its behind a relay, so trying to figure that out too. I'll check the overall draws after that.

I have a battery minder I forgot to charge it when we left, i normally drive it every 7 days or so.

Thanks
Sponsored