Sponsored

BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference?

Jchetty

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Tacoma, 00 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at the BD but wanted to know what the non-Sasquatch "Badlands Suspension" consists of beyond the sway bar disconnect for the extra bucks. BD is already getting the "HOSS" (High Performance Off Road Stability Suspension) right? Searched the forums without much luck other than "Bilstein shocks". Can anyone advise?
Every Bronco, even the base, has “HOSS”
Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To me, if I actually needed the equipment in the BL to climb over something I wouldn’t want to be attempting such a climb in a $50k+ vehicle.

Put me in the Moab and cruise camp.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s all relative tho. I’m sure someone in a base says the same thing about my $40k+

And someone in a Toyota rav4 says that about a base bronco.

At some point fun stuff is worth having if you can afford it. I just know I shouldn’t haha

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ok, but if you are looking for the differences between BD and BL it is a key difference, and why if I go BD it will be Squatched.

What we really don’t know is besides the Bilsteins and springs, what else in the front suspension is different? The track width is the same, yet the BL is 0.4” wider. I’d guess that is wheel & tire width.

Ford Bronco BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference? F6145327-0A06-459B-A29A-E7568DECF705

Ford Bronco BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference? D6516802-AE21-4C9A-870F-7A31CE1577E9
Interestingly the track width on the Squatch is 1.9” wider. Does different wheel backspacing account for track width differences or is there a difference in the upper and lower control arms?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, but if you are looking for the differences between BD and BL it is a key difference, and why if I go BD it will be Squatched.

What we really don’t know is besides the Bilsteins and springs, what else in the front suspension is different? The track width is the same, yet the BL is 0.4” wider. I’d guess that is wheel & tire width.

Ford Bronco BD vs BL Suspension: What is the Real Difference? D6516802-AE21-4C9A-870F-7A31CE1577E9

Interestingly the track width on the Squatch is 1.9” wider. Does different wheel backspacing account for track width differences or is there a difference in the upper and lower control arms?
Could it all be related to tire width? 265 vs 285 vs 315?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Could it all be related to tire width? 265 vs 285 vs 315?
If that was the case, the BL would have a different track width than the Base-OB. So it has to be the center of the wheel. If you added the 1/2” on the Squatch wheel width just to the outside on both sides it would widen the track 1/2” (1/4” per side). So where does the extra 1.4” of track width come from?

either a) Squatch has wider control arms, or b) the wheels have 1” less offset (moving them both out 1”).

I really wish Ford would be very specific on this for Badlands buyers (the very people who are likely to be most specific on things like lifts).

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't they all have the same rear axle, just different gear ratios?
Yes, the rears are the same M220 (according to the Model Comparison Table. The Base, BB, BD, & OB have the M190 front (unless you option Sasquatch, M210)

OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, the rears are the same M220 (according to the Model Comparison Table. The Base, BB, BD, & OB have the M190 front (unless you option Sasquatch, M210)
So is there any noticable difference btwn the M190 and M210? Or is it just marketing?

Sponsored

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So is there any noticable difference btwn the M190 and M210? Or is it just marketing?
Yes. Found this on AutoWeek
https://www.autoweek.com/news/trucks/a33303175/bronco-vs-wrangler-bench-racing-battle/

Drivetrain Strength and Gearing
One key to any 4X4s off-road performance over the long haul is the strength of its components. And the top-spec Broncos have similar components to the Wrangler. The Wrangler Rubicon has a Dana Advantek M210 solid axle up front with an 8.3-inch diameter differential ring gear. In the rear, Rubicons have an Advantek M220 with a stouter 8.66-inch unit. And on Broncos with front and rear electronic locking differentials, they are the same size Dana units. The difference being, the Bronco’s front M210 differential is used with an independent front suspension. Broncos without a locking front differential have a smaller, lighter-duty M190 front axle.

A solid front axle is more durable than an independent design in certain scenarios. But generally, it seems like the axles of the Broncos with locking diffs and the Wrangler Rubicon are a match in strength.

Chuckster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If that was the case, the BL would have a different track width than the Base-OB. So it has to be the center of the wheel. If you added the 1/2” on the Squatch wheel width just to the outside on both sides it would widen the track 1/2” (1/4” per side). So where does the extra 1.4” of track width come from?

either a) Squatch has wider control arms, or b) the wheels have 1” less offset (moving them both out 1”).

I really wish Ford would be very specific on this for Badlands buyers (the very people who are likely to be most specific on things like lifts).
Agreed - only thing I'm stuck on now is the BL with base tires or go Squatch. I want to add aftermarket tires/wheels, so would like to forego Squatch, but the "higher suspension" of the Squatch package has me wondering. Is it just a spacer they've added to allow a little more clearance, or is it more than that???

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do yourself a favor and check out Moab. Vehicles with no lockers at all go all the time. Lots of easy trails available to just cruise in 4hi and 2WD.
God I would love something like this on east coast. Not looking for technical stuff

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

rausch creek in pa is supposed to be pretty terrific

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rausch creek in pa is supposed to be pretty terrific
5.5 hours away. I'm stuck in Ohio. People actually have window stickers around here that say Stuck in Ohio.
Sponsored