Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE, 19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great thread. I always tied overlanding to using your vehicle to get to and live around for a few days. While camping was more KOA, state park, etc. As others have said, don't get hung up on the name, call it sleeping outside if you want.

The best advice I can offer is go to a very local campground every other weekend for a few months to build out your kit. Things you forget you can take note of, things you bring that never leave the truck you can leave at home. Once you have your clothing, kitchen supplies, first aid, recovery, etc. down to what you actually need buy containers that fit in the bronco and still leave room for 1 off toys/people/pets and put all of it in the garage for this purpose only (this means pack the crappy toothbrush so you don't have to remember to bring your regular one).

I got the most use out of my tacoma having everything I need ready to go in 3 bins. Wife would say "what do you want to do this weekend?" and within an hour we could be on the road and I know I have everything I need to camp/overland for 3-4 days because it's already packed.

TLDR: Go have fun, don't worry about what the internet calls it. Don't worry about social media ("but we need to bring all the camera equipment for instagram") points either, enjoy it for you
Sponsored

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What’s the difference between overlanding and camping?
hype mostly... but to echo the others: Overlanding is more linked to your vehicle, with the ability to get more remote and then stay there for longer periods of time.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I take my F-150 to remote places for trailheads to hiking and nature photography adventures. I haven't camped on these trips so far - just day adventures.

I'll do the same with the Bronco, but even more secluded. I may need to camp a night here and there so that I can take photos at sunrise/ sunset. Easier to do if I'm camping close by a good photo spot. So I'll be digesting a lot of info here and other sites to figure what I'll need to pull this off with the cargo space of a 2 door Bronco.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For me, overlanding and camping share one important characteristic. They both involve getting outside so you can enjoy the environment. Beyond that, there are many interpretations and variations.

When I head to Acadia Nation Park for an overnight. I jump on the interstate, so I get to the park quickly and camping in a designated camp site. I term that camping. When I meander along on dirt roads in New Brunswick, Canada and pitch a tent for an overnight as needed along the way, I term that overlanding. Both can be multiple days in duration, and both can involve spending a night in a tent.

Please keep in mind, for the examples I used above, skills are important for your health and safety. If this is a new journey for you, start with camping where you have access to water and perhaps electricity. As your confidence grows, evolve to “Boondocking” which involves camping without access to water/electricity/sewer. As you move through each stage, please be respectful of the environment and understand the risks to your safety. (In my area while camping in remote locations, black bears can be a hazard and it helps to understand how to create a bear hang so you can sleep well at night.)

Start small and celebrate your successes. Eventually, you will become an experienced overlander who can easily handle multiple days in wilderness locations. For me, there is nothing better than spending a week where I encounter no humans, just wildlife.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the most use out of my tacoma having everything I need ready to go in 3 bins. Wife would say "what do you want to do this weekend?" and within an hour we could be on the road and I know I have everything I need to camp/overland for 3-4 days because it's already packed.
Bins will revolutionize your life! My small family used to take hours to get out of the house to go snowmobiling/camping/whatever. Now we store some event-specific bins and some general bins. When it's time to go, you grab "one of these, two of those" and off we go!

Plus it keeps all your gear organized at home!

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two Texas spots worthy of a visit are Big Bend National Park and Padre Island National Seashore. Dispersed camping at BB and beach camping at PI. I’ve never been to either but Padre Island is on my list of places to camp.
TrailRecon just posted this exact trip.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I may need to camp a night here and there so that I can take photos at sunrise/ sunset. Easier to do if I'm camping close by a good photo spot. So I'll be digesting a lot of info here and other sites to figure what I'll need to pull this off with the cargo space of a 2 door Bronco.
Like yourself, I have ordered a 2-door and my focus will be on using gear which is light and compact. Packing it to maintain a low center of gravity will be my secondary focus.

I hope many of us will enjoy camping and the special joy you obtain with a sunrise/sunset. For me, it is rare my campsite has direct access to a killer view. So, I hike to obtain the best view and wait for that magic moment. To enjoy those times, I love my “Crazy Chair”! The chair rolls up to a compact 4” diameter. Maybe it is not the best chair as advertised in various Overland websites, but I love it!

Amazon.com : Crazy Creek Products Hex 2.0 Original Chair (Black/ Royal Blue) - Lightweight & Packable Camp Chair for Hiking, Backpacking, Camping, Boating & Stadium Use : Camping Chairs : Sports & Outdoors

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of you who have used them, what do y'all think about this concept (below)? Seems like this would be rad for me and my 2 little boys. I question it because the unknown about the access to the undercarriage, exhaust, etc. I saw it in the Bronco accessories catalogue posted on B6G today:
Ford Bronco Beginner overlander Bronco Rear Tent

Just seems a fun concept. Otherwise we'll be fine in the ol' Coleman and a good tarp for weekend trips to the Tahoe mountains. I only entertain it because I think it'd be a hoot... and we'll still be "in" our sweet Bronco!!

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hype mostly... but to echo the others: Overlanding is more linked to your vehicle, with the ability to get more remote and then stay there for longer periods of time.
Overlanding at its core is traveling over land, that is opposed to over water or air travel. You can overland by walking or some other transportation. In the past this was via horse or animal drawn wagon, the venerable covered wagon. Humans have a natural wanderlust, I'm convinced this is why the planet is populated in every corner. Today we use vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. Obviously, we are limited on how much we can carry via backpack, with a vehicle we can carry more and use less of our energy to do so, thereby increasing the enjoyment. After all, the only difference between work and play is the enjoyment level.

https://overlandjournal.com/what-is-overlanding/

Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal.

TERMINOLOGY
CAR CAMPING
Traveling in a vehicle to an established campground. If there is a picnic table there, it is probably car camping.
BACK COUNTRY ADVENTURE OR 4X4 TOURING
A one-day or multi-day off-highway trip on an adventure motorcycle or in a 4WD vehicle.
OVERLAND(ING)
Vehicle-supported, self-reliant adventure travel, typically exploring remote locations and interacting with other cultures.
VEHICLE-DEPENDENT EXPEDITION
An organized, vehicle-dependent journey with a defined purpose, often geographic or scientific in nature.
EXPEDITION VEHICLE
A 4WD vehicle or adventure motorcycle prepared for self-reliant travel over long distances, through unpredictable weather and over variable terrain.