Sponsored

Best 33" Tire for 4Dr Black Diamond on stock steelies? (Non-sasquatch, Ideally winter rated)

Broncontonio

Black Diamond
First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi there, I've offroaded my General Grabber AT's into a very narly shape and looking to replace them with an 33" Tire for a more aggressive look.
Here are my requirements:
  • Fits the steelies my BD Came with
  • Preserves clearance/no rubbing without having to lift/level or remove crashbars
  • Ideally winter rated (I Live in Canada)
Thanks for your recommendations (brand/exact tire size). I've read confusing things on the interwebs so far. Some say 33's fit just fine without causing issues, others say without downsizing to lighter wheels you could run into load carrying problems since stock wheels are rated C but most 33's are rated E.
Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any 285/70r17 will fit fine with no lift and crash bars still functional. That size is generically what most people call a “33”.

That size will look great and function great on your stock wheels. Exact tire recommendations are difficult because everyone has such strong opinions. I live just over the border from you and run separate tires in the winter.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi there, I've offroaded my General Grabber AT's into a very narly shape and looking to replace them with an 33" Tire for a more aggressive look.
Here are my requirements:
  • Fits the steelies my BD Came with
  • Preserves clearance/no rubbing without having to lift/level or remove crashbars
  • Ideally winter rated (I Live in Canada)
Thanks for your recommendations (brand/exact tire size). I've read confusing things on the interwebs so far. Some say 33's fit just fine without causing issues, others say without downsizing to lighter wheels you could run into load carrying problems since stock wheels are rated C but most 33's are rated E.
Your Grabbers are E rated LT265/70r17. Now, increasing to a 285/70r17 tire will have increased weight, it won't be substantial causing issues. Your BD (whether it is manual/auto or Sasquatch) is geared to handle it.

I have no recommendation on winter tires as I don't have any recent experience living in Florida.

OP
OP
Broncontonio

Broncontonio

Black Diamond
First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your Grabbers are E rated LT265/70r17. Now, increasing to a 285/70r17 tire will have increased weight, it won't be substantial causing issues. Your BD (whether it is manual/auto or Sasquatch) is geared to handle it.

I have no recommendation on winter tires as I don't have any recent experience living in Florida.
Thanks for the reply! It says "Loard Range C" on the tire tho?
What are you running on your BD? Mine is automatic non-sasquatch btw.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the reply! It says "Loard Range C" on the tire tho?
What are you running on your BD? Mine is automatic non-sasquatch btw.
I'm running the Grabbers. I got the info from the pinned thread in the Tires sub-forum. I'm not going out in the dark to read the tire. If the spec is wrong on the pinned thread, then 🤷‍♂️.

General Tire's Site (you'll have to choose the tire size in the drop-down menu to see the tire spec)
Discount Tire Grabber's Spec (They indicate that the Grabber AtX comes in LT 265/70r17 and is E rated)

Sponsored

fp11

Black Diamond
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I asked a similar question in another thread (I was going for 35s but decided to go one size down). After doing some research, here’s my shortlist for when I decide to change my tires but keep the black steelies:

Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W 285/75/R17 (Recommended by @TCcustoms.com )

Nitto Recon Grapplers AT 285/75R17 (Recommend by @RTR Vehicles )

Toyo Open Country AT III 285/75R17

I think the Wildpeak will the be best one for Canada but double check (I’m a Florida guy too)

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The winter rating , 3PMSF symbol is a bit misleading. Some tires have it, but suck in cold weather, other tires do not have it and perform better than those that do.
My understanding is the tread just needs to self clean snow and slush. There is no requirement for having actual traction on cold wet or slick roads.

First, despite 8 bajillion positive reviews, MY toyo at3's (35 x 11.5-17 lr C) are down right dangerous in cold wet weather , god forbid it gets icy.
Now that my daughter drives the Bronco often, I absolutely have to replace them before this winter. Only 15k miles on them...
Even in the summer, they suck in the rain.

If I don't go with actual winter tires,
My leading contenders, due to reviews that actually called out their winter performance are:

Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT

These have been good for me in the past:
BFG AT
Firestone AT

All of these have a SL version except the BFG, which is load range C.
I will probably lean towards the SL versions to soften them up a bit.
Sponsored