Sponsored

Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door?

Big_Ed

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm getting a 2 door bronco and plan on keeping the backseat either folded down or entirely removed the vast majority of the time. What are my options for safely transporting dogs in the back of the bronco?
Sponsored

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm getting a 2 door bronco and plan on keeping the backseat either folded down or entirely removed the vast majority of the time. What are my options for safely transporting dogs in the back of the bronco?
Given the seats folded down or gone, the only safe way would be in a crate that is secured to the floor of the vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Big_Ed

Big_Ed

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if you can access the seat belt with the seats folded down... if so, you can use a vehicle dog harness buckled in.
Something like this would be ideal. From looking at images, it does look like the rear seatbelts are attached to the frame and not the actual seat:
Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? 1615234674747

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We made the ~7hr drive to Oklahoma City and back partially to visualize this same scenario for a 2dr. It's going to be tight. We've mocked up the measurements on the floor but seeing it in person was eye opening. There are some 'better' looking strap systems around (no first hand experience though): https://usak9outfitters.com/autosafetygear.htm

That said, we use Gunnar Kennels and I think it's going to take a lot of trial and error to figure out the fit.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something like this would be ideal. From looking at images, it does look like the rear seatbelts are attached to the frame and not the actual seat:
1615234674747.png
Yep.

There's a couple different styles of dog seatbelt harness... it would seem that one of them would probably work well.

Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? Dog-Collars-Leads-Vehicle-Car-Dog-Seat-Belt-Pet-Dogs-Car-Seatbelt-Harness-Lead-Clip-Safety
Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? Kurgo_Auto_Zipline_leash_Dog_Car_Travel_Safety_Belt_Multi_Functional

Honorable mention:

Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? IMG_8348

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep.

There's a couple different styles of dog seatbelt harness... it would seem that one of them would probably work well.

Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? 1615235266054
I picked one of these up for my 20lbs Fenchie, as she likes to stick her head out the window when we are stopped at red lights to let everyone know she's around, and I do plan on going door-less with my Bronco. So far it's working well, but test will be this summer

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Kennels/Crates.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Maybe this

Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? A466DFC2-7DC4-4305-824A-BC196363DAC2
Clark Grizwald educated us all how to properly secure dogs for trips. Just make sure your dog is in tip-top shape prior to departure.

Ford Bronco Best way to safely transport dogs in a 2 door? national-vacation-dog-scene-o[1]

Based on my real-world experience on trips with dog owners and their dogs, the dog should be kept on the drivers lap so that it can be used as an excuse when you get pulled over.

I only know one person who's dog was violently crushed to death between their chest and an airbag during an accident. That person can no longer own a dog due to the mental anguish resulting from the accident. Sad but true story. Dogs don't belong on the drivers lap any more than infant children do.

If I had a dog and needed it to ride in the Bronco, just put them in the cargo area. It's large enough for them to sit/lay and frankly, a dog is about as safe as unsecured cargo in the event of an accident. Automobiles really weren't made specifically for the safety of animals.
Sponsored