Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

to complex to really explain.

Basically either bestop constructed a clever anti child device or its the worst designed latch ever made.

You have to let the latch slam itself open under its mechanical momentum while pulling down on the roof and it pops open. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt
Did you recently install the Bestop? My Sunrider functioned in a similar manner when I first installed it, but has now loosened up and I no longer have to pull down with my other hand to release the latches.
Sponsored

OP
OP

greenmachine343

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you recently install the Bestop? My Sunrider functioned in a similar manner when I first installed it, but has now loosened up and I no longer have to pull down with my other hand to release the latches.
ya its brand new. Had trouble putting the windows on too

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ya its brand new. Had trouble putting the windows on too
Mine had the same thing for the first two or three days. It gets easier by the end of the week.

Think of it this way, the reason the Bestop looks so much better than the OEM Ford top is that it remains under some tension. The extra pull down handle helps you take some of that tension off the clip while you release it.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine did that too when it was brand new. Also, while it's still loosening up, you can finesse the inner latch by pressing the metal center piece to free it up.

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have to let the latch slam itself open under its mechanical momentum while pulling down on the roof and it pops open. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt
Mine is the same way. Like others mentioned... pull down where they mention to pull down... "pop" the latch while doing so... it unlatches. It is a little awkward at first and takes a few times to get used to, but after doing it a few times it becomes 2nd nature. Pull down with one hand... pop the latch with the other... repeat on the other side... fold back and enjoy.

For the life of me I couldn't figure it out the first few times either and it was frustrating. Once I got it down it was easy from them on out and never had a problem with it. Small learning curve, but to me I now see it as a feature than a hindrance. Less of a chance to accidentally pop it while fiddling with the visor and not paying attention. Not something I would want to do at 80 mph. Less of a chance you'll accidentally do it while in motion since it is more of a two-handed operation… even though the video below shows it can still be a one-handed operation. Just gotta relieve that tension by pulling down and let the spring in the lever do the rest of the work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This does not work. The j hook will not come out there is no mechanism for it to release
After you unlatch.. if you can't grab the 'handle' to the right and compress the seal enough to pull the J-hook out, then something is wrong. ie, even at the unlatched state, your seal is fully compressed.

When you unlatch, you should be able to re-compress the seal enough to unlatch the J-hooko.

schlotzj

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ended up buying this top and am experiencing the exact same issue. I was told by Bestop that Ford allegedly changed the windshield frame and seal after they designed the header piece (plastic piece that latches bolt to). Bestop advised they are actively redesigning the header to resolve the discovered latch issue. Bestop said in the meantime to add a washer or two to each bolt that holds the latch in place, which did help. I’m now dealing with excessive flapping from the twill top….it is installed correctly. I sent videos and photographs to Bestop where they sent a new twill top. That didn’t fix it so they are sending a completely new top and hardware. I am not happy with this top thus far and would not recommend it as of now. I think the top has design flaws and was released prematurely. I also do not like how the framing twists so much when opening and closing. It’s a shame as I really like how it looks!

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is the same way. Like others mentioned... pull down where they mention to pull down... "pop" the latch while doing so... it unlatches. It is a little awkward at first and takes a few times to get used to, but after doing it a few times it becomes 2nd nature. Pull down with one hand... pop the latch with the other... repeat on the other side... fold back and enjoy.

For the life of me I couldn't figure it out the first few times either and it was frustrating. Once I got it down it was easy from them on out and never had a problem with it. Small learning curve, but to me I now see it as a feature than a hindrance. Less of a chance to accidentally pop it while fiddling with the visor and not paying attention. Not something I would want to do at 80 mph. Less of a chance you'll accidentally do it while in motion since it is more of a two-handed operation… even though the video below shows it can still be a one-handed operation. Just gotta relieve that tension by pulling down and let the spring in the lever do the rest of the work.
This! Took me a few minutes as well to figure it out. More force isn't the answer, it just takes a bit of finesse to get it, then it's smooth as butter. I literally pop my top in 3 sec now.

Bestop_Team

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Bestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I ended up buying this top and am experiencing the exact same issue. I was told by Bestop that Ford allegedly changed the windshield frame and seal after they designed the header piece (plastic piece that latches bolt to). Bestop advised they are actively redesigning the header to resolve the discovered latch issue. Bestop said in the meantime to add a washer or two to each bolt that holds the latch in place, which did help. I’m now dealing with excessive flapping from the twill top….it is installed correctly. I sent videos and photographs to Bestop where they sent a new twill top. That didn’t fix it so they are sending a completely new top and hardware. I am not happy with this top thus far and would not recommend it as of now. I think the top has design flaws and was released prematurely. I also do not like how the framing twists so much when opening and closing. It’s a shame as I really like how it looks!

HR

Hello!
Please let me know if you have the same experience with the new top and hardware!
-Eryn@Bestop
Sponsored