Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just got back from my second camping trip of the year and it was fantastic. First go at off roading with the Bronco was taking it through New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado earlier this year and trying it out with Schnebly Hill Rd - Youtube . Posted a recap of that earlier this year.

This time we decided to go out to Big Bend National Park one of the most remote National Parks in the U.S. Bronco held up extremely well no complaints. Friend took his Jeep Gladiator Mojave. I did take an idea from others on the forums since I knew I would do about 1200 miles round trip. To help alleviate the road noise with the Soft Top (major complaint from my last trip), I installed Rubber Pipe Insulation on the sides. It did help and didn't make the trip unbearable on the highway.

Unfortunately, Black Gap Road was closed because of all the recent rain fall. So we did the second best trail in the park Old Ore Road. It was a 26 mile off roading trail. Took us about 4 hours since it was so long with a couple of miles of hiking.

Here are some pics/video from the trip.

Old Ore Rd / Grapevine Hills Trail - Youtube - Clips pieced together from the trail.

Ford Bronco Big Bend Trip / Ford Bronco Black Diamond IMG_2412 Medium

Ford Bronco Big Bend Trip / Ford Bronco Black Diamond 20220924_185502

Ford Bronco Big Bend Trip / Ford Bronco Black Diamond 20220924_184621 Medium

Ford Bronco Big Bend Trip / Ford Bronco Black Diamond 20220924_185755

Ford Bronco Big Bend Trip / Ford Bronco Black Diamond IMG_2713 Medium
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks awesome! How did you and your gladiator buddy think your rigs compared?

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks awesome! How did you and your gladiator buddy think your rigs compared?
I definitely had more clearance than he did and felt more at ease with the Bronco since it was my third time out. It was his first time off roading so he took it easy and tried to avoid some of the tougher obstacles since it was his first time. He would tell me that the Bronco was taking all the obstacles with ease even when I got my one of my tires off the ground. Overall, I think both rigs are more than capable other than the Gladiator having a tougher departure angle vs the Bronco.

There was really only one part of the trail where I was concerned since I had a Curt cargo carrier on the back but I had no issues clearing. I wouldnt have brought it if it was a harder trail.

I think his maybe did a bit better on Grapevine Trail. It really was a fun way to experience more "desert running". I was gunning it and still only got the tires off the ground a few times. Still handled extremely well. Was my first time doing that. If you go to 3:36 in the video you will see it but hard to tell.

Other than that I love my Bronco more than the Gladiator, but only thing I would say it has over the Bronco is by far the nicer interior and better tow capacity.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try River Road……much more challenging than Old Ore.
I love Big Bend. Been off-road camping there for years!
Looks like you had a great time.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Try River Road……much more challenging than Old Ore.
I love Big Bend. Been off-road camping there for years!
Looks like you had a great time.
It was supposed to be part of the trip heading to Black Gap but its all closed. Big Bend had massive flooding so they closed alot of trails. There was actually more closures a week ago when I went.

Per their website:

Some Unpaved Roads CLOSED
Alert 1, Severity closure, Some Unpaved Roads CLOSED
Recent rainfall has caused many unpaved roads to become impassable. Current closures include: River Road West and Black Gap Road.
Sponsored

Last edited: