crawl_soever

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I took the Bronco 2DR Manual Transmission out to the Big Bend Ranch! We stayed at the Whit-Roy mine (with park permission of-course). This was my first time doing heavy-duty 4x4. My build is stock without the sasquatch. This proved adequate for the terrain. I mainly used the location as a base for trail-running and hikes from the state park. The vehicle rode amazing and I was able to manage the buena suerte road with no problem of bottoming out although it is a mainly unmaintained abandoned road. I mainly stayed in 2nd and 3rd gear the entire time with a couple switches to 4x4 in some of the sandy washes.

For sleeping accommodations I slept inside the truck. Yes it is possible to sleep comfortably in the 2 door! I put the passenger seat fully forward, and took the rear seat cushon off and laid it down in the rear as a padding. Then, i put the rear seat back fully down flat. I took my cooler and placed it in the rear seat well to get a relatively flat sleeping space to lay my sleeping bag diagonally. It was comfortable for a 4 night stay in the vehicle. The only thing I wish I could have done was remove the rear head-rest because how I was sleeping I had to lay split-legged with the headrest sticking up in the middle. With a double sleeping bag in the back diagionally I managed 20-30 deg nights comfortably to hit the trails during the day!

Next time I go out I will feel more confident off-roading and accessing some more remote areas. This was a initial trial and getting comfortable with the shifters. Overall was a blast and a testament that car-camping is a possibility in this vehicle!

Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705594326868
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We need more pics of this adventure.
The whole BB area is a favorite of mine.
We camped out about 3-4 miles past Lajitas off of 170 and were amazed at just how dark and quiet it was out there.
Darkest place I've ever been other than out on the ocean during a new moon.

OP
OP
crawl_soever

crawl_soever

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't have many bronco centric photos because my focus was so much on the beautiful landscape but here's a few!
Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705604217409

Sleeping setup
Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705604336742

View at mine camp

Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705604264835

Wax Factory Laccolith
Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705604279059

Great Dagger Yucca
Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck 1705604373419

Typical view offroading

AFMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco; 89 Foxbody; 11 Miata; 82 280zx
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My son and I have done 3 trips to the BB Ranch State Park over the last 10 years or so. Oddly enough never been over in the National Park. Last trip was in 2020 and we had a very remote camping spot. It was overcast and, like Broadicustomworks said, darkest place I've ever been in my life.

That last trip was a weird one. Rescued a guy that was a few miles from the Ranger station. Mexican guy in jeans, cowboy boots, and a backpack. Looked like he was in rough shape and was begging for a lift. I always carry out there, but that was still a little dicey. But couldn't just leave the guy so I took him to the station.

Scoop

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badsquatch, '74, '76, & '78 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BB Ranch is a great place to explore. Nice pics.

Funny story about BB Ranch. A few years ago a small group of us with early Broncos reserved a group site for a few days. The person who made the reservation told them we were bringing Broncos. When we checked in they asked us "When do you want the water delivered?"

We unknowing had reserved a a group site that was set up for real horses! It had a corral and a big water trough. They were going to bring us 500 gallons of water for our horses!

So we of course we put our Broncos in the corral and hitched them to the fence!

Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck IMG_0641.JPG

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BB Ranch is a great place to explore. Nice pics.

Funny story about BB Ranch. A few years ago a small group of us with early Broncos reserved a group site for a few days. The person who made the reservation told them we were bringing Broncos. When we checked in they asked us "When do you want the water delivered?"

We unknowing had reserved a a group site that was set up for real horses! It had a corral and a big water trough. They were going to bring us 500 gallons of water for our horses!

So we of course we put our Broncos in the corral and hitched them to the fence!

Ford Bronco Big Bend Ranch trip. Slept in the truck IMG_0641.JPG
That's pretty great. It is horse country. lol 🐴

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What?!?! You slept in your Bronco without spending thousands on Overlanding gear? ;)

I've slept in the driver's seat of most cars I've owned. Scariest was in my '99 Sebring Convertible in FL when a strong thunderstorm rolled through. That ragtop seemed awfully thin at that moment :)

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
im working on sleeping panels for 2 door . Ive calculated if i cut 3 plywood panels 41 x 21 it will allow full back area for sleeping with front seats pushed forward and rear bottom seat pulled and rear back cushion folded down. then just needs blocks to level it with height of folded rear cushion roughly 5 inch blocks . these panels can be stored behind rear seat while its up and in use vertically if needed. you use 1 panel to cover rear cargo and then 2 panels go from rear panel to front seats on both sides. im debating also doing a trifold layout not sure yet. edit should allow about 5'8" person to sleep almost fully extended.

OP
OP
crawl_soever

crawl_soever

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
im working on sleeping panels for 2 door . Ive calculated if i cut 3 plywood panels 41 x 21 it will allow full back area for sleeping with front seats pushed forward and rear bottom seat pulled and rear back cushion folded down. then just needs blocks to level it with height of folded rear cushion roughly 5 inch blocks . these panels can be stored behind rear seat while its up and in use vertically if needed. you use 1 panel to cover rear cargo and then 2 panels go from rear panel to front seats on both sides. im debating also doing a trifold layout not sure yet. edit should allow about 5'8" person to sleep almost fully extended.
Sweet! Do share photos when its built! How do you plan getting around the headrest sticking up when the back is folded down? Or do you plan removing the seat entirely

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great pics! There are a few threads out here with some DIY sleeping / leveling platform solutions. I've created one myself and it makes sleeping in the back of a 2 door quite doable.

Sponsored

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sweet! Do share photos when its built! How do you plan getting around the headrest sticking up when the back is folded down? Or do you plan removing the seat entirely
it can actually just be folded down if the bottom seat cushion is pulled and i will prob figure a way to use bottom seat cushion to support panel at folded seat end

Jmo0311

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the area especially in the winter and spring. But I wouldn't call it serious 4x4, but a great starting point.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey crawl_soever,

As a 2dr owner, I have not tried sleeping in the back as of yet. Being 6', I was not sure if I could. After reading your insights, I am encouraged to give it a try.
However, I just want to clarify that your profession is not as a jockey, is it?

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That last trip was a weird one. Rescued a guy that was a few miles from the Ranger station. Mexican guy in jeans, cowboy boots, and a backpack. Looked like he was in rough shape and was begging for a lift. I always carry out there, but that was still a little dicey. But couldn't just leave the guy so I took him to the station.
Good on ya AFMike,

It is always rewarding to help a fellow human being out, especially one that was in obvious distress. I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around, otherwise known as Karma.

OP
OP
crawl_soever

crawl_soever

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As a 2dr owner, I have not tried sleeping in the back as of yet. Being 6', I was not sure if I could. After reading your insights, I am encouraged to give it a try.
However, I just want to clarify that your profession is not as a jockey, is it?
Haha not quite! I work construction. The first night took adjustment for sure I won't lie. But it was smooth sailing the rest of the trip! It was actually comfortable with some extra space at my head. I am 5'7" for comparison. Definitely going to try to do something about that headrest to secure it down next time though 😅
Sponsored