Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hello

I just purchased a whipple tune for my braptor and messaged Whipple about installing it. My braptor is new and doesn’t get driven much. I messaged Whipple about installing it right away and they suggested I follow the manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to the break in period before I upload the Whipple tune. I have no problem doing that, but I was wondering if anybody knew what ford recommends for their break in period on the braptor?

Thank you all!
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey! Let me borrow it for a week, I'll get it worked out for ya! lol 😁

Braptorx

Raptor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2020 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In Dubai, they told me not go above 120km/hr for the first 500 KM, I asked if I had to keep revs under a certain limit and they said no.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
RTFM 😉

Ford Bronco Braptor “Break In” Period Screenshot_20231228-103621-01

I'm very torn about the need to do break-ins. There is no data, all anecdotal. I'm loosely following this^. Got above 100 once down in Mexico, of course. No redline, no WOT. Been using Sport mode a lot and paddles and shifts are aggressive. I'm at about 800 mi. I'll do ALL lubricating fluids around 1000 mi.

Last edited:

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be an argument until the end of time. I have yet to see any conclusive scientific evidence proving either side of the break-in debate, other than the meticulous break in for race engines on an engine dyno where they just slowly increase RPM and load until completely maxing out the engine, then replace the break in oil. I just always get my first and second oil changes done way early. Other than that I just drive normal. I probably wouldn't take it the baja 1000 on day 1 but I bet it would be fine if I did.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Drive it, 1000 miles change the oil. There is some data behind the cycles that are learned for the ECM and TCM. Variable speed is better then setting the cruise control for 1000 miles.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello

I just purchased a whipple tune for my braptor and messaged Whipple about installing it. My braptor is new and doesn’t get driven much. I messaged Whipple about installing it right away and they suggested I follow the manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to the break in period before I upload the Whipple tune. I have no problem doing that, but I was wondering if anybody knew what ford recommends for their break in period on the braptor?

Thank you all!
I was lucky enough to see the assembly line for the new Ford GT several years ago. At the end of the line every one of those cars is strapped on a chassis dyno and run through all the gears at wide open throttle several times. The dyno display showed 200 MPH and over 7000 RPM. That was on cars at the end of the assembly line! The only thing about break-in that makes sense is varying load and RPM so the rings seat to the cylinder walls and don’t glaze them over. All the other parts inside the engine are ready to run on initial fire-up.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
At the end of the line every one of those cars is strapped on a chassis dyno and run through all the gears at wide open throttle several times.
I've seen similar from another brand it was BMW or Ferrari IIRC. I think many/most engines get redlined before leaving the factory. That said, this is not quite proof that a break in period isn't also beneficial for some/many drive train components.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen similar from another brand it was BMW or Ferrari IIRC. I think many/most engines get redlined before leaving the factory. That said, this is not quite proof that a break in period isn't also beneficial for some/many drive train components.
Not arguing, but the GTs were on a chassis dyno, the whole drivetrain ran at full load, full speed multiple times. Those are 500k$ to 1M$+ cars, they wouldn’t be doing anything with them that would be harmful. Modern engines/drivetrains are light years ahead of the iron built in past.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Drive it, 1000 miles change the oil. There is some data behind the cycles that are learned for the ECM and TCM. Variable speed is better then setting the cruise control for 1000 miles.

What oils do you change at the 1k mile mark? Just engine oil, or do you do engine and trans oil?

OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
RTFM 😉

Ford Bronco Braptor “Break In” Period Screenshot_20231228-103621-01

I'm very torn about the need to do break-ins. There is no data, all anecdotal. I'm loosely following this^. Got above 100 once down in Mexico, of course. No redline, no WOT. Been using Sport mode a lot and paddles and shifts are aggressive. I'm at about 800 mi. I'll do ALL lubricating fluids around 1000 mi.
What fluids will you change at the 1k mark?

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want to change, it would be the engine oil. The other fluids would be good. I have never changed at 1000. Not for any of my Shelby's or this Bronco. All of them are running fine, and trust me, they are not garage queens!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What fluids will you change at the 1k mark?
All of the drivetrain; engine, trans, transfer case and both diffs. Extremely conservative yes, benefits for sure, including my non Motorcraft fluid choices. The only fluid one doesn't have a choice on us the ULV ATF. I'm pretty sure that is full synthetic.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor