Sponsored

BroncBuster copying 74Weld in portal axle battle?

MungTM

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C300
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isnt it interesting that Mercedes 4000 and 5000 series Unimogs utilize a straight cut 4 gear portal like weld is designing?

Axial load can not be so lightly dismissed. It translates into measurable power losses and must be compensated for with bearing design and case strength/weight. Yes it is used in transmissions absolutely because of noise. Yes Helical cut gears are quieter. No they do NOT have a larger engagement surface area. That simple cross section is VERY misleading.

I am sorry but if you want to design gears and measure their stress and strain; inventor software (animated by autodesk fusion) would not be my go to.... He doesn't even have the add-ins to do the stress analysis it appears.... I could be wrong but that is what it looks like. I have never been impressed with Autodesks analysis addins.... maybe they have improved since I taught the software. I always liked Desault's better.

Having taught gear design at a university, I will be purchasing portal axles.... Mine will have straight cut gears. I know they will be louder.... The unsprung weight will be problematic if I want to shoot across the desert at 50 to 100 mph.... Not the type of wheeling I want to do. If that is the type of wheeling you like DO NOT GET PORTALS.... Portals are great at slower speed trail running and rock crawling. They are fine out on the highway where you are NOT bouncing the suspension up and down drastically... Momentum is a bitch. So it will not ride quite as well on the highway but will be okay. the advantage is when you are off road and need or just want clearance and regearing.
The Mercedes G-Wagen uses helical gears. They used to use straight toothed spur gears but upgraded them to helical in their newest models.
Sponsored

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The Mercedes G-Wagen uses helical gears. They used to use straight toothed spur gears but upgraded them to helical in their newest models.
I am aware of that.... do not think it was a good move though.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have had mine installed over a week, no dash warnings/no codes
Thats a good looking LCA angle right there.

Ford Bronco BroncBuster copying 74Weld in portal axle battle? 1706737980333

Are those stock BL or Squatch coilovers? Any spacer lift on top or is it stock height plus portals?

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thats a good looking LCA angle right there.

Ford Bronco BroncBuster copying 74Weld in portal axle battle? 1706737980333

Are those stock BL or Squatch coilovers? Any spacer lift on top or is it stock height plus portals?

It looks like the Wildtrak Quinn did the burnout with. If so, it would be stock with just portals.

colbert

Badlands
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram hds fj cruisers broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Video was challenging to watch at times. "Say it! WTF." BS meter ticked up a few notches. Good advertisement for 74.
Sponsored