Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I wouldn't mind a old school removable rear camper. Great for road trips or when your in the dog house with the wife. TV and remote control included.
T113053851.jpeg
T113053865.jpeg
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The bronco has a huge camping heritage. Even one of the symbols on the camo is a tent. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of tent integration from factory.
Looks like they intend to do this:
Ford Bronco Bronco Camping Accessories Camping_019 copy

With this:
Ford Bronco Bronco Camping Accessories Ford-Bronco-Removable-Roof-8

index.jpg

ccsami4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470, Evoque
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having used RTTs, I would suggest that if you want one, you look for a hard shell that allows you to leave sleeping bags, etc. inside when closing it up. Makes for a super quick set-up and take-down (less than a minute either way). Hard shell eliminates the flapping or messing with a cover (which will eventually get torn). They're fairly light and offer a ton of room if you get one that folds out (like the iKamper). I'm not entirely sold on RTTs even though I do like some aspects of them. For instance, the view can be great just by getting over the top of nearby shrubs...but that all depends on the areas in which you are camping.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having used RTTs, I would suggest that if you want one, you look for a hard shell that allows you to leave sleeping bags, etc. inside when closing it up. Makes for a super quick set-up and take-down (less than a minute either way). Hard shell eliminates the flapping or messing with a cover (which will eventually get torn). They're fairly light and offer a ton of room if you get one that folds out (like the iKamper). I'm not entirely sold on RTTs even though I do like some aspects of them. For instance, the view can be great just by getting over the top of nearby shrubs...but that all depends on the areas in which you are camping.
The iKamper was the rig I was eyeing if I made that investment.

Anyone have any opinions of “off-road” small trailers(teardrops). I know they aren’t going to be usable on very rough terrain but they seem pretty capable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like that wooden one but that seems too nice to be on a trail lol. This is what I’m looking at. Kitchen In the back. Bed inside... matching wheels of course.

EF0AB2BE-DABF-4902-950C-DAC7B614809E.jpeg

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like that wooden one but that seems too nice to be on a trail lol. This is what I’m looking at. Kitchen In the back. Bed inside... matching wheels of course.

EF0AB2BE-DABF-4902-950C-DAC7B614809E.jpeg
I'm also looking into something like this. I've seen a lot of videos where people take them through some pretty extreme terrain. That all depends on the build quality and parts used to make them though which can drive the price up significantly.

These guys go through so tight spots I don't think I would with a trailer.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

There are bent frame videos out there with a Gladiator and a Colorado. I think my take away from those videos are install surge brakes on your off-road trailer to avoid the full weight of the trailer surging down onto your hitch and bending your crumple zones in the dips off road.

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are bent frame videos out there with a Gladiator and a Colorado. I think my take away from those videos are install surge brakes on your off-road trailer to avoid the full weight of the trailer surging down into your crumple zones off road.
From what I saw on the videos they were on relatively smooth terrain that was hilly so they were probably going too fast and had the momentum of the trailer slam down on the tongue. At least that is my guess.

My takeaway is to go slower than you think you need to.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are bent frame videos out there with a Gladiator and a Colorado. I think my take away from those videos are install surge brakes on your off-road trailer to avoid the full weight of the trailer surging down onto your hitch and bending your crumple zones in the dips off road.
I’d be interested to see what they did to bend their frame rail with a little 1000lb trailer.

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’d be interested to see what they did to bend their frame rail with a little 1000lb trailer.
I think they weigh quite a bit more than that when loaded for a week's worth of travel/camping.

And when it bounces around, the 200lbs (or whatever) of tongue-weight is no longer, the full weight of the entire trailer can transfer straight into the receiver. And on a good bump/whoop/etc., it may be bouncing a foot or two up, pushing forward and pulling back as well. I'm no engineer, but I've broken enough things to understand that it doesn't take much to create TONS of force when you take all the energy of a trailer from a foot in the air and apply all of its force on a single point that happens to be at the absolute end of a lever (the frame).

Just a guess though.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they weigh quite a bit more than that when loaded for a week's worth of travel/camping.

And when it bounces around, the 200lbs (or whatever) of tongue-weight is no longer, the full weight of the entire trailer can transfer straight into the receiver. And on a good bump/whoop/etc., it may be bouncing a foot or two up, pushing forward and pulling back as well. I'm no engineer, but I've broken enough things to understand that it doesn't take much to create TONS of force when you take all the energy of a trailer from a foot in the air and apply all of its force on a single point that happens to be at the absolute end of a lever (the frame).

Just a guess though.
You are correct, dry weight for that trailer is about 1500lbs and that was was loaded to about 2700lb.

I did a bit more research and found out the trailer was 200 lbs overweight, the tongue weight was 385 lbs which is like 35lbs over.

These numbers ford puts out do have safety factors so that still inst the issue. The issue is where these incidents happened. They are all on desert trails with whoops that will come out of nowhere. The drivers were driving way too fast, hit some whoops which put their rig into a violent back and forth motion, trailer followed and bent the frame.

Operator error at its finest. Yes I think there is a word of caution to learn from these tales but I wouldn't let these 2 bad apples discourage a trailer build. I have been checking out the Smittybilt trailer and I think she is the one. It is the only one reasonably priced and she is small and will follow the bronco very nicely.
Ford Bronco Bronco Camping Accessories 1585758574946

this with a roof top tent would remove my hesitations with a RTT.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You are correct, dry weight for that trailer is about 1500lbs and that was was loaded to about 2700lb.

I did a bit more research and found out the trailer was 200 lbs overweight, the tongue weight was 385 lbs which is like 35lbs over.

These numbers ford puts out do have safety factors so that still inst the issue. The issue is where these incidents happened. They are all on desert trails with whoops that will come out of nowhere. The drivers were driving way too fast, hit some whoops which put their rig into a violent back and forth motion, trailer followed and bent the frame.

Operator error at its finest. Yes I think there is a word of caution to learn from these tales but I wouldn't let these 2 bad apples discourage a trailer build. I have been checking out the Smittybilt trailer and I think she is the one. It is the only one reasonably priced and she is small and will follow the bronco very nicely.

this with a roof top tent would remove my hesitations with a RTT.
Agree - my original post was consider surge brakes to help control the trailer momentum / keep excessive lever forces in check.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco Bronco Camping Accessories 1585758574946
Somebody needs to start bulding teardrops upside down for offroading. Put the curves to the ground for clearance and maybe do a rtt sized hardshell to pop the top up a bit even if its just at an angle. Have a drop down kitchen at the rear. I think it be sweet.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somebody needs to start bulding teardrops upside down for offroading. Put the curves to the ground for clearance and maybe do a rtt sized hardshell to pop the top up a bit even if its just at an angle. Have a drop down kitchen at the rear. I think it be sweet.
Check out patriot trailers out of Australia. They are very very expensive but very cool.
Sponsored