John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I carry a bike rack, tow the boat, hitch rack, etc and I prefer some rake. The rear suspension is soft with just a little tongue weight.
I’d like a 1” or so lift but keep the rake and can’t seem to find any options. Seems like the rough country is the closest?

7DEF5524-1F5E-43B8-B87D-BD537B4773A4.jpeg

64C4BCD4-95E8-448B-96EA-5DBF1FCD7D40.jpeg
Nice rig! What is that, and is that a tire/lift mod? Its clear that each model has a different rake, or lack thereof! My non-sas OBX has little or no rake, and with one bike on back, is completely level. As you say, the rear suspension is pretty soft. If I did much of a lift, I'd likely use coilovers with stiffer springs.
Sponsored

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I added the 1 inch level kit from Zone, glad I did, noticeable in real life. See pics from same spot before and after and look at the gutter/roof line and also the space above the front tire.

Before:
70A84E07-6FBD-4E73-AEB3-14CCE8F22697.jpeg

After:
F2EA6A42-9D88-4553-9894-1ABD37E72E5D.png
That’s what I did. Looks great!

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey op
Mine has the 1 inch level and I love how it came out. I went 33s and obx as well
Photos, video, and my experience can be found here- https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/happy-medium-275-70-r18-on-obx.28290/
I really like what you did, thats my default upgrade, 1" lift and 275/70R18. Or no lift! Actually, I'm concentrating on other upgrades, tires have become less urgent for now. I don't like the 18" tire choices for those 7.5" wheels. Here are my $150 MRT hood struts. Next will be an air pump.

Ford Bronco Broncos "Rake", level vs lift SmartSelect_20211209-200325_Gallery

Rubicon79

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice rig! What is that, and is that a tire/lift mod? Its clear that each model has a different rake, or lack thereof! My non-sas OBX has little or no rake, and with one bike on back, is completely level. As you say, the rear suspension is pretty soft. If I did much of a lift, I'd likely use coilovers with stiffer springs.
It’s just a Big Bend with Black Diamond wheels and tires. I never ordered and it didn’t look like I’d ever get the 2 door I wanted but the dealer made me a fair deal on their mannequin.
Mine has very little rake if any compared to some I’ve seen.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rake definitely has a purpose. To help keep the vehicle level when approaching max trailering or load weight. If you do not plan on towing or loading it down with overlanding gear then there is no real purpose or design function for the rake. So it all depends on your particular use of the Bronco.
Rake, for me, is a good thing. I plan on packing my tiny 2-door cargo area to the gills including a lot of gallons of water. I don't understand why people feel this urgent need to get rid of it.🤷‍♀️

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s just a Big Bend with Black Diamond wheels and tires. I never ordered and it didn’t look like I’d ever get the 2 door I wanted but the dealer made me a fair deal on their mannequin.
Mine has very little rake if any compared to some I’ve seen.
Nice choice. And those 265/70R17 tires give an extra .5 inch in height and are wider, making the 18" version a gentle upgrade for my OBX over the 255/70R18 stock

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I still can’t figure out why so many are offended by rake when and if it exists. When it’s there, it’s designed in for a purpose. It’s probably the same reason so many on this forum think K02 tires are the best thing ever. I can’t figure that one out either.
Agreed on the tires. I just needed to get a winter rated A/T and went with Falken ATw3 tires. Only 44 lbs.ea. for some 265/70r16 tires as I don't do much other than trail running. Gets up to sust MPG on the freeway. And, I definitely see some rake when looking at the body vs. background.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rake, for me, is a good thing. I plan on packing my tiny 2-door cargo area to the gills including a lot of gallons of water. I don't understand why people feel this urgent need to get rid of it.🤷‍♀️
My brother made a 3/8" plywood shelf, 32"x48", that sits over the folded down rear seats perfectly. It rests on a couple of side wall mounts that are stock Bronco. So simple, rounded corners using ta jigsaw and a Pnut butter jar to draw the arcs on each corner.

Ttp2017

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well for you rake serves a good purpose then. For my personal use I will never be loading it down so I prefer the extra 1 inch of ground clearance in the front and more even level stance. Also the 2 door has a considerable amount less rake then the 4 door. If I had a 2 door bronco I would not be considering the leveling kit.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. Every Bronco that rolls off the production line has rake, including the Base. The factory rake is noticeable, but also appropriate, to allow for payload in the cargo bay and on the rear hitch when loaded, because the Bronco’s suspension is tuned soft for off-road performance.

The soft off-road suspension is also the reason for the Bronco’s tow weight limitations.

Ford Bronco Broncos "Rake", level vs lift 66D26383-7CF1-485B-905E-EE251F88A22E

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree. Every Bronco that rolls off the production line has rake, including the Base. The factory rake is noticeable, but also appropriate, to allow for payload in the cargo bay and on the rear hitch when loaded, because the Bronco’s suspension is tuned soft for off-road performance.

The soft off-road suspension is also the reason for the Bronco’s tow weight limitations.

Ford Bronco Broncos "Rake", level vs lift 66D26383-7CF1-485B-905E-EE251F88A22E
I think you'll find that if you look through the posts here, there are some Broncos that have little or no rake at all, including my OBX.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think you'll find that if you look through the posts here, there are some Broncos that have little or no rake at all, including my OBX.
I’m sure you’re right John that Ford made some with rake and some without and just happens to be luck of the draw if you get one with rake or not. 🤪

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I am blind but I don’t see one. If anything I see like a 1% rake but that is still considerably less than the stock SAS.
Bottom pic. 10” of gap over rear tire. 6” of gap over fronts "looks" like rake.! Body line looks close to level.!

jjrdha

Outer Banks
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW 535xi
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I put on General Grabber ATX 275/70/18 on the stock rims. I like the look of the beefier tire but there was a slight but noticeable difference in ride (not in noise though). Depending on if I take it off road I'd consider going back to the Duelers (stock) tire just in a bigger size. The 275/70 looks considerably better on the car. The stock 255s looked undersized to me.
Do you have a pic you can share? Profile (from the side) and from the front? Curious to see how they line up to the fender.

After doing a good bit of research, seems like those General tires are the widest/tallest standard load A/T tires you can get for the stock OBX wheels...

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you have a pic you can share? Profile (from the side) and from the front? Curious to see how they line up to the fender.

After doing a good bit of research, seems like those General tires are the widest/tallest standard load A/T tires you can get for the stock OBX wheels...
I believe A few have gone with 295/70R18 on the stock 18x7.5 OBX rims, but, but they're 34" tires and should require a 1" lift to be safe for clearance purposes. They're also heavy & mostly E rated. Otherwise, without a lift, it is the 275/70R18 as 33" tires that fit the 7.5" rims, and in 18" diameter theyre all E rated as you say. So Grabber seems to be it if. Otherwise, get the Badlands 17" wheels fit the 17" tires, and theres plenty of choices in C, D & E rated tires!
Sponsored