Sponsored

Buy Some Wheel Locks (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last night, some person decided that they needed the spare tire off my my 4 month old Wildtrak. My Wildtrak did not come with any wheel locks, and I didn't think anything about it.

Now I am needing a new rim, tire, tpms, etc., and some anger management suggestions.
Might want to go check the Austin Craigslist...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Might want to go check the Austin Craigslist...
been refreshing all day. Also Facebook market place. There are a ton of used tire places not far from where I live. I am sure that it is living at one of them.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just buy a used set of 5. You'll have 5 good tires and rims. At some point you hit a curb, get a flat that ruins a rim, or let your kid use the car and when it comes back have two dented rims and no witnesses.
Or... Buy a set of 5 and then sell the other 4 to someone with a Ranger, or even some GM pickups...

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This video is very informative and very disappointing. I am considering getting a bicycle lock and chaining the rim to the tire carrier, but first I have to replace it.
If you think a wheel lock is ineffective… wait until you see how quickly the pro’s get through your bike lock! Haha they’ll just laugh at you while they whip out their cordless angle grinder

OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you think a wheel lock is ineffective… wait until you see how quickly the pro’s get through your bike lock! Haha they’ll just laugh at you while they whip out their cordless angle grinder
Yeah, I am hoping that the spare tire thief and the bicycle thief carry different tools

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've found wheel locks to be more trouble than they're worth. There are too many mechanics who go way too many ugga duggas. I bitched out a dealership once after I broke three McGard keys trying to get the locks off because they had been over torqued.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can get a rim from Ford and there are lots of used / takeoff rims and tires floating around too.

I am still too pissed to make good decisions.
I know you’re pissed and deserve to be, but if you do any off-roading, I’ll caution you on the advice from some well meaning forum members here about locks, different locks and a host of other gadgets.

Why? Well, because it’s your spare tire and one you may need to use one day and the thing about lug locks or exotic lugs is that you better remember to ”ALWAYS” have that gadget or key or whatever with you at all times. On a trail, no one would be able to help you at all, so factor in time to get a nice person to get you back to your vehicle, or the cost of needing a recovery for something so simple.

I know it sucks and it does; people are trash these days, but be careful going too far.

My suggestion is to buy a dash cam with shock sensors; they work and are sensitive as hell these days, and get one with LTE connectivity so you get a text or notification, then handle in the manner appropriate in Texas if you get what I mean friend….. ;)

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure what this means. Thieves are everywhere.
Just noticed you are in the Austin area. Where did this happen? Was it at your home or out somewhere?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just noticed you are in the Austin area. Where did this happen? Was it at your home or out somewhere?
Happened at home. Central Austin.

OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know you’re pissed and deserve to be, but if you do any off-roading, I’ll caution you on the advice from some well meaning forum members here about locks, different locks and a host of other gadgets.

Why? Well, because it’s your spare tire and one you may need to use one day and the thing about lug locks or exotic lugs is that you better remember to ”ALWAYS” have that gadget or key or whatever with you at all times. On a trail, no one would be able to help you at all, so factor in time to get a nice person to get you back to your vehicle, or the cost of needing a recovery for something so simple.

I know it sucks and it does; people are trash these days, but be careful going too far.

My suggestion is to buy a dash cam with shock sensors; they work and are sensitive as hell these days, and get one with LTE connectivity so you get a text or notification, then handle in the manner appropriate in Texas if you get what I mean friend….. ;)
I have cameras around the house, but last night I parked facing the wrong way and the back of the Bronco was blocked by a tree. This person or persons must have been really quiet too because my dogs light up with every car door and noise in the street.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I am hoping that the spare tire thief and the bicycle thief carry different tools
I just had the crazy vision of a thief on a bicycle juggling a spare Sasquatch wheel.

alancorman1

Badlands
First Name
Corman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, not what I want to hear.

Anybody have an extra Wildtrak rim lying around, or maybe the part number?
Facebook marketplace. Probably cheaper to by all five on there versus one from Ford