Sponsored

Buy Some Wheel Locks (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS)

OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does the spare not have a TPMS sensor? The low tire light is off. Shouldn't the light be on with a missing tire?

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last night, some person decided that they needed the spare tire off my my 4 month old Wildtrak. My Wildtrak did not come with any wheel locks, and I didn't think anything about it.

Now I am needing a new rim, tire, tpms, etc., and some anger management suggestions.
Where in town did it happen? I'm in Austin, as well, and definitely worry about where I park any time I drive the Bronco someplace I don't know

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does the spare not have a TPMS sensor? The low tire light is off. Shouldn't the light be on with a missing tire?
I believe it does...I had a flat few months back....put spare on and after a few miles it was registering the pressure

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

May I suggest a set of truck nuts instead of locking nuts....anyone rocking these on their rig must be a badass and may deter theft or just be too embarrassed to be standing near them

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Where in town did it happen? I'm in Austin, as well, and definitely worry about where I park any time I drive the Bronco someplace I don't know
Central Austin. Good neighborhood, but we have the regular crimes of opportunity, i.e. people checking for unlocked cars and going through them, stealing packages, etc.. Stealing the spare outside of my house was unexpected though. Seems more targeted.

RichWpg

Wildtrak
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2d Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Last night, some person decided that they needed the spare tire off my my 4 month old Wildtrak. My Wildtrak did not come with any wheel locks, and I didn't think anything about it.

Now I am needing a new rim, tire, tpms, etc., and some anger management suggestions.
Totally sucks, wheel locks were literally my first stop as I drove home. I live in SF bay, so I'm naturally super paranoid given our... *cough* law enforcement *cough* standards here. I don't even dare park the Bronco anywhere the city ... I have a beater car for when I have to do that.

However, I did have my rear window smashed in (and a $3k laptop stolen) in the first couple months of ownership (parked in very high end area), so do yourself a favor and get some sort of cargo containment solution for your cargo area. That's probably the next heartbreak you are up for if you don't sort that out. It's criminal they don't include even a cheap cargo lid from the factory.

OP
OP
Alfa

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't keep much in my Bronco. I left it unlocked one night so, of course, it got rifled through. I was laughing at the idiots because I didn't have anything for them to steal, then I realized that they took the hard top removal tool kit. Dammit.

I don't know if this is to my defense or not, but I didn't realize that just putting my fingers inside the door handle would unlock it, so sometimes I would press the lock button with my thumb and my fingers would go into the door handle area and the click was an unlock and not a lock. Took me way too long to figure that out. All my other vehicles require the handle to get pulled to unlock.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The mind of a career thief doesn’t make sense? They got to carry around tools to break into things, then they got to carry and transport the stolen goods, then try to sell it for a few measly bills in return. Seems like a lot of work itself, so why not just make an honest living without risk of being shot on their ass or end up in jail 24/7 with a bunch of other dirty penises.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know the technical details of the Bronco tpms.

I believe, on some systems, the tpms needs to be spun a few times to wake up, so the spare is rarely read on those systems.

On our Outback, it can take about 10 miles sometimes for it to realize I swapped the winter wheels on or off.

Sponsored

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Central Austin. Good neighborhood, but we have the regular crimes of opportunity, i.e. people checking for unlocked cars and going through them, stealing packages, etc.. Stealing the spare outside of my house was unexpected though. Seems more targeted.
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I had my Tacoma's spare stolen when I lived in St John's, and I honestly keep forgetting to secure my Bronco's spare. Like you said, it's just one of those things you don't really think about.

Thanks for sharing your experience to help the community, though

Joshc920

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can speak for black diamond steelies…. My dealership didn’t rotate my spare on my first oil change. I got upset and they told me no the spare doesnt have a tpms so that’s why it isn’t rotated because the system will fault… sounded dumb for a SUV with a full size spare to not get in the rotation. I said screw that and discount tire rotated it for free. Turns out it for sure does have tpms. After a mile or 2 the freshly rotated tire triggered 35 psi on the dash but the others were still 40. Some people just make lazy excuses…. I rotate them all on my own schedule and tell dealer to leave them alone now

Joshc920

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Buy Some Wheel Locks (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS) 1691037226809
Also no one has mentioned DV8 spare tire guard carrier, I don’t have one but it looks interesting, their site claims it can accept locking pins for security purpose… maybe worth looking into if you wanted to spend the cash and go in a different direction. It looks like extra steps for a casual thief that they may not want to mess with. Plenty of alarm installers in Austin with shock sensors too. From one Texan to another, sorry and I hope someone teaches them to f around and find out very soon

BigJim1957

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wheel locks was one of the options I paid for on my build because of that reason.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have these. Ordered an extra lug and an extra key too.
I did the same. But got to thinking. Someone isn't as likely to steal the wheels from under the Bronco, just the spare. So I put three Advanced Wheel Locks on my spare. They look nice too.
Sponsored