Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang, 2013 Ram, 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the July 13th announcements below that show the BWI Group is building the Bronco's Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect, thanks to a tip from @Aman in another thread that they were the supplier. Below is some of the information on how the unit functions. This unit is only available on the Badlands and First Edition trims, there has been no information to indicate it will be an a la carte option on any other trims. As a reminder, this is a hydraulic system unlike the Jeep Rubicon's electronic sway bar disconnect system.

What are your thoughts, it seems like some very innovative engineering.

BWI Operational Video

BWI product page

BWI Group Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect announcement 7/13/2020

BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
7/13/2020

BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect.jpg

2021 Ford Bronco

The available front stabilizer bar disconnect off a unique to the segment design for increased articulation across the vehicle to help you up, over and around large obstacles.

BWI Group

ilizer-bar-disconnect-system-handbrake-moment_orig.jpg

izer-bar-disconnect-system-handbrake-moment-2_orig.jpg

Piston

stabilizer-2_orig.gif

Stabilizer bar ends are disconnected and free to move on their own.

The solenoid valves are open and the piston (immersed in fluid) is free to move as fluid flushes in and out of the chambers on both sides of the piston.

Full suspension travel is possible. Wheel articulation is not limited by the stabilizer bar.

stabilizer-3_orig.gif

Stabilizer bar ends are now connected.

Both solenoid valves are closed, preventing fluid flow. The piston is hydraulically locked.

Total suspension roll stiffness is increased and vehicle body roll angle limited while cornering.

BWI Operational Video

This looks heavy. Does anybody have an idea of how much the SBD weighs over a standard sway bar?
Sponsored

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This looks heavy. Does anybody have an idea of how much the SBD weighs over a standard sway bar?
I don't know the weight but if I had to guess I would say 30-50 lbs vs the standard sway bar at 15-20 lbs, again guesses. But what matters is how does it compare to the competition, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL with Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect, see the picture below, it looks every bit as heavy as the Bronco if not heavier. The second picture is a G2 CORE Dual Rate Sway Bar System, which is an aftermarket Jeep setup, even larger.

So weight is relative, it is the tool for the job, it is only available on the Badlands and First Edition, so if you don't need the benefits of a Sway Bar Disconnect any other trim level will not have it.

The Bronco looks to be the lightest of the three.
Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information BWI Bronco Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect

2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Electronic Disconnect Front Sway Bar 68251036
Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information s-l1600

G2 CORE Dual Rate Sway Bar System
Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information drs_banner_1

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information Screenshot_20210105-045858_Samsung capture
see those end links thats all you need to modify to disconnect why would i want to carry all that monkey motion around? I have made plenty of swaybar disconnects with simple piece of tubing or just wait for aftermarket. Whats next trained squirrels to check your oil?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for posting!

Sponsored

MotoCeptorMan

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang, 2013 Ram, 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know the weight but if I had to guess I would say 30-50 lbs vs the standard sway bar at 15-20 lbs, again guesses. But what matters is how does it compare to the competition, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL with Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect, see the picture below, it looks every bit as heavy as the Bronco if not heavier. The second picture is a G2 CORE Dual Rate Sway Bar System, which is an aftermarket Jeep setup, even larger.

So weight is relative, it is the tool for the job, it is only available on the Badlands and First Edition, so if you don't need the benefits of a Sway Bar Disconnect any other trim level will not have it.

The Bronco looks to be the lightest of the three.
Ford Bronco BWI Bronco Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Technical Information Screenshot_20210105-045858_Samsung capture

2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Electronic Disconnect Front Sway Bar 68251036

G2 CORE Dual Rate Sway Bar System
Thanks for the response North7. The Bronco SBD design is innovative and does look lighter than the others. But my offroading travels may never need that extra articulation. With all of the GVWR discussions, I'm seriously thinking about dropping from BL to BD if it improves available payload. That extra 25-30 lb for a SBD could be an extra backpack to a trail head. Hopefully Ford will release more detail trim and powertrain specs before order time so we can make better-informed decisions.