Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting the 2.3L and plan on a catch can, because of what I've read out here. Do not know what brand yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m not installing a catch can, because theyā€™re not needed on the newer EcoBoost engines (even the direct injection). From reading the Ranger forum, it seems like the catch cans are mostly collecting water. And a little gas in the oil never hurt. I see a lot of high-milage 2.3L engines without any catch cans; and just a regular oil change every 5,000 miles. So Iā€™m not worried. Iā€™ll just get a cleaning at 100k miles.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m not installing a catch can, because theyā€™re not needed on the newer EcoBoost engines (even the direct injection). From reading the Ranger forum, it seems like the catch cans are mostly collecting water. And a little gas in the oil never hurt. I see a lot of high-milage 2.3L engines without any catch cans; and just a regular oil change every 5,000 miles. So Iā€™m not worried. Iā€™ll just get a cleaning at 100k miles.
water in your fuel injectors is NOT good .... also its the oil in the fuel that hurts, not the fuel in the oil .... either way these fluids should not be mixing anyway

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok fellas, after a deep dive into what @BrentC said and digging into what da fuck is a WOT line's purpose on a oil catch can, I found this site with the most comprehensive answers .... at least for me. They sell catch cans too but on the surface it seems like they custom make them to specific models. I will contact them and see what they have to say and post it if of any value.

have a look see;

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/ford/

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/faqs/

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok fellas, after a deep dive into what @BrentC said and digging into what da fuck is a WOT line's purpose on a oil catch can, I found this site with the most comprehensive answers .... at least for me. They sell catch cans too but on the surface it seems like they custom make them to specific models. I will contact them and see what they have to say and post it if of any value.

have a look see;

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/ford/

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/faqs/
The FAQs are spot-on AFAIK.

The stuff I dump out of the catch can has a unique smell and is more an emulsion than an oil. The acidic water mentioned in the FAQs is removed with the UBR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The FAQs are spot-on AFAIK.

The stuff I dump out of the catch can has a unique smell and is more an emulsion than an oil. The acidic water mentioned in the FAQs if removed with the UBR.
yeah it was eye opening to see the stuff caught in the can is less oil than other contaminants!

Last edited:

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The factory PCV system is designed to burn off the contaminants that the catch cans are collecting. Those contaminants are not present in your crankcase oil for long under normal conditions... They burn off as the engine gets hot. Catch cans make the factory PCV system seem a lot scarier than they actually are. Unless you're running a lot of boost or high RPM for extended periods, a catch can is not necessary for most engines.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The factory PCV system is designed to burn off the contaminants that the catch cans are collecting. Those contaminants are not present in your crankcase oil for long under normal conditions... They burn off as the engine gets hot. Catch cans make the factory PCV system seem a lot scarier than they actually are. Unless you're running a lot of boost or high RPM for extended periods, a catch can is not necessary for most engines.

if the factory PCV system was adequate Ford itself would not make a catch can to be installed in its vehicles.

Ford Bronco Catch can install 1624160772403

Ford Bronco Catch can install 1624160624682

Sponsored

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
if the factory PCV system was adequate Ford itself would not make a catch can to be installed in its vehicles.
Again, the factory PCV system is adequate for the majority of vehicles. Unless you drive at high boost or high RPMs for extended periods, it's not needed. The Ford Performance catch can is for vehicles run on the track regularly, which is why they offer it from the factory on the GT500, but it's only to be installed by the dealer if the customer will be tracking the car.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Again, the factory PCV system is adequate for the majority of vehicles. Unless you drive at high boost or high RPMs for extended periods, it's not needed. The Ford Performance catch can is for vehicles run on the track regularly, which is why they offer it from the factory on the GT500, but it's only to be installed by the dealer if the customer will be tracking the car.
Well I certainly don't baby my turbos. A high pressure turbo engine is not meant to be lugging around in.
It would be weird if someone bought a raptor and nursed it around town. High performance engines are meant to be driven.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You must not own a new Ranger. Cause thatā€™s not the case at all.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bingo!
Ford Bronco Catch can install 3A00E7A0-ED2E-4254-99A1-92AFE84BA3F7

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Radium dual catch can set up on my Fiesta ST. I baby it probably more than most so it doesnā€™t collect much, but Iā€™m likely going to do a similar setup on the Bronco 2.3l. Only thing I want to add which I donā€™t have now is the line so I can drain the catch can right into the oil pan when changing oil.
Sponsored