Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I detailed and added soft top protection this weekend using the Chemical Guys soft top care kit.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/ultimate-convertible-top-care-kit---convertible-top-cleaner-protectant-and-accessories-6-items/HOL_995.html?gtmListValue=Category: exterior-kits

An exceptional product line that I have learned to trust with my vehicles. This was the first time that I treated my soft top. The last treatments were done through my detailer when they applied my paint correction/ceramic paint protection.

I am not going to repeat all the information that is readily available through the link but I will offer some tips that I learned. along the way.

The washing of the top was very easy. Spray on the cleaner, brush it in and lift the dirt using the horsehair brush, and then wipe the dirt away with the included towel. . Biggest takeaway for me on this is that the top hides dirt pretty well. I was quite surprised how much dirt I pulled off even though we have only had this Bronco since the end of August and it has been treated before. Admittedly, some bad weather and trips up to the dirt and snow but the dirt wasn't that apparent to me just looking at the top beforehand. Another tip is that the horsehair brush drops some hairs as it was brand new. Not a big deal and it will certainly get better on the next use but, I found more hairs than this OCD person liked.

Once I had the whole rig cleaned and washed yesterday, I waited until today to apply the protectant. I wanted to make sure I started with a completely dry soft top. Per the instructions and video (linked below) I applied the protectant. I went a bit crazy and used a bunch of utility sheets that I had around. Pinched in the windows and taped with painter's tape to minimize the clean-up later since the Bronco was squeaky clean. The first tip here, the liberal application was a bit hard for me to judge. I blame this mostly on my work area not being as well lit as it should have been. I definitely over-applied the protectant. I immediately cleaned up any overspray as I waited between coats. 20 minutes later and I could tell my first application was a bit too heavy as the top was still wet and not as dry as they show in the video. Not a big deal but a good takeaway for others. Clean up in between coats wasn't too difficult. It all wiped right up but, you had better make sure you have very clean soft top windows, etc. so as to not introduce any possibility for scratches from any dust or dirt on the windows, etc. Not an issue as the Bronco was very clean but important to note as the soft top windows are sensitive to scratches. Also, only wipe using straight lines. Never in a circular motion. Save that for your next karate Kid episode.

Our Bronco is now resting comfortably as the top dries and cures. Watch the below video for expected results. There is no doubt that the top is significantly cleaner than it was. It is truly black and with the shadow black paint being there, it is stunning to look at!!

Ford Bronco Chemical Guys Softtop Clean/Treat CA3C483A-472F-4A43-870A-4882DD7C9796

Ford Bronco Chemical Guys Softtop Clean/Treat E9BAD18F-15A0-46D3-AD4D-989175310B20

Ford Bronco Chemical Guys Softtop Clean/Treat 6B513A62-C332-45DF-8B2B-E848F947DD43

Ford Bronco Chemical Guys Softtop Clean/Treat BA988178-8613-43CA-BCE3-0121FE3BC3E5

Ford Bronco Chemical Guys Softtop Clean/Treat 1F7129BB-13E5-4DDA-A6B4-AC05FACBB8C0
Sponsored

Last edited:

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice job! Do you like it?

by away, soft windows are not sensitive to scratches. It will scratch only while you watch it. If you think too much about them, it will scratch itself the son of b.... window.

I already gave up to keeping it zero scratches. Only few highly careful wash and it's full of scratches at sun light.