Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how about wildlife? did you have a rifle? were you concerned at all?
Firearms aren't necessary at all in terms of wildlife. Black bears would be the biggest threat and the chance of you seeing one is slim to none. And even if you do they won't bother you. If you're sleeping in a tent, keep all the good smells in your vehicle. Bear spray is a better defense against black bears than a firearm. There will be plenty of people on the trails and campsites, especially on the weekends.

At most I'd bring a 9mm for people, or a 10mm for bears. If you like guns then bring one, but the chance of you needing one is like 0.001%.

If it was a much more remote area with fewer good people around or grizzlies, it'd be a different story. Or if I had kids with me.
Sponsored

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We arrive on the 16th. Can’t wait!

we did all the major trails there two years ago in our old 4Runner and it was a blast.

Num Num

Wildtrak
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota....
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We did Yankee boy basin today and couldn’t get all the way to the top. There was a jeep that tried to get around some snow almost to the top and slid off the road. They cleared over 5 ft of snow away on the uphill side I think so another vehicle may pass to anchor from the top and a lower vehicle to winch the rig backwards. Maybe… I’m new to this and am an expert in YouTube extractions. First trails in the new ride Awesome trip. Need more stuff! They said Imogene is still closed but being worked. The Jeep was a rental from one of the places in Ouray and they didn’t get on scene until after 1400 and the gals slid off the road at 0800. Long day for the folks. Still laughing about the great day!

OP
OP
BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We did Yankee boy basin today and couldn’t get all the way to the top. There was a jeep that tried to get around some snow almost to the top and slid off the road. They cleared over 5 ft of snow away on the uphill side I think so another vehicle may pass to anchor from the top and a lower vehicle to winch the rig backwards. Maybe… I’m new to this and am an expert in YouTube extractions. First trails in the new ride Awesome trip. Need more stuff! They said Imogene is still closed but being worked. The Jeep was a rental from one of the places in Ouray and they didn’t get on scene until after 1400 and the gals slid off the road at 0800. Long day for the folks. Still laughing about the great day!
I got very close to the top of Yankee Boy Basin but stopped where the snow was on the trail. Didn't feel like creating any projects for myself plus I was alone. Although there was another dude that showed up about ten minutes after I did and he had a winch also, but neither of us was 'bout that life that late in the day.

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looked like a great time and absolutely beautiful scenery pics!! Bronco looks great too!

Sponsored

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
OH My Oh my oh my ...... when i was still waiting for my Bronco this is the scenery I was imagining when i daydreamed about off roading ..... simply MAGNIFICENT views.

Thank you so much for sharing! Any way you can show the whole trail you drove on a map?
No need for a 4WD... just start walking.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A friend and I were out there a few weeks ago. Engineer and cinnamon were among the trails we drove. On the way down from engineer we ended up taking mineral Creek trail back to highway 550. We didn't have good reception so we didn't realize it was a decently difficult trail lol. My badlands manual on 33s managed it with no damage and the skid plates did their job.
Ford Bronco Colorado Passes: Engineer -> Cinnamon -> California -> Hurricane -> Corkscrew 20230620_104159

woodysfj40

Outer Banks
First Name
woody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BJ74, FZJ80, NCV3, JHF
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We head to Ouray tomorrow for 3 weeks, believe this is the 12th year in a row. Love visiting that area in July :)

No Bronco yet, but will be putting a few more miles on the FZJ80 this year.

OP
OP
BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a local, one of the ways I can tell who is a tourist in the backcountry - bear spray or firearm. Bears want nothing to do with you.
I pretty much agree with you, but let me ask, how about if you're in the middle of grizzly territory in Montana, 30 miles away from any sort of town, with your wife and kids? Would you bring a firearm and bear spray in that situation?

Sponsored

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I pretty much agree with you, but let me ask, how about if you're in the middle of grizzly territory in Montana, 30 miles away from any sort of town, with your wife and kids? Would you bring a firearm and bear spray in that situation?
My friend and I carried handguns with us the whole time. I don't care if the locals want to act smug or poke fun at it, it doesn't hurt them in any way for others to be prepared.

OP
OP
BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My friend and I carried handguns with us the whole time. I don't care if the locals want to act smug or poke fun at it, it doesn't hurt them in any way for others to be prepared.
Hey I'm with ya. Carrying doesn't mean paranoid or ill-informed, it means being prepared.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A little off topic there guys.
Eh, people talk about all kinds of gear like fire extinguishers, tents, and other camping gear on these forums. I chalk it up to that. As long as no politics are involved we shouldn't get silenced ha. But to stay on topic, I would definitely recommend the Ouray area for a week+ long stay for off roading and camping. This was our second trip there and we may not go to that area next year, but Colorado off roading is certainly our yearly tradition now.

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We love it out in Ouray area; I probably like Moab better for the wheeling but wife likes Ouray better. My wife and I will be out over Labor Day Sept 3rd-8th also my cousin will us in their Jeep Rubicon. If any Bronco are around would love to meet and wheel a pass or two; let me know??
I'm looking to be in that area on a cross country drive maybe we can sync up!
Sponsored