First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969, 1971, 1966, 1973, 2022 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can't wait, I have similar thoughts for one down the road when I can afford the mods. I'm building a chopped and dropped 66 half cab with my son, I love the half cabs. The BDS build was sweeeeet. Good luck man!
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think we are waaaaayyyy past warranty with this already.

Just sayin' ;)
No, I get that. This type of modification enters a different realm since safety systems and occupant protection components are being completely modified. The difference is the BDS is probably not road legal or can't ever be sold due to liability. I'm sure the OP and anyone else understands that as well. If the OP would get in a wreck it's entirely possible their insurance denies coverage or turns into a legal nightmare not to mention few body shops would want to take on the liability of doing any type of repair and guaranteeing it. If this is going to live on a farm, rarely see a paved road and just be a toy, most of this isn't going to apply.

If you're going to make big mods like this I just want people to have the info so they know what they're getting into, especially when it comes to multi metal construction in safety systems. We went through 10 carbide spot weld bits at $100+/ea taking a frame rail out just to have it total because the shop manual removal procedure was wrong.

I hope the OP can do this because I think I would look cool AF. Would love to see Ford offer a half cab conversion of some sort in the future. Before we did this.

Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab IMG_6504.JPG

It looked like dis.

Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab IMG_4424.JPG

Sponsored

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A grinder will be your friend for all those spot welds on boron 😄

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently the nay sayers have never chopped a top. What the OP is proposing is essentially the same process. Remove the existing structure and replace with new structure.

b3a09083d58e14f56c1848812ae273d8.jpg
I'd wager that the amount of people who have chopped a top on here can be counted on one hand.
Further wager the amount of people who have cut up body panels, patched, etc. can be counted on two.

I don't have the bravery or funds to do what the OP is doing, but more power to him.
It's his ride, his funds, his vision.
I sincerely hope it turns out aces in the end. Would like to see it.
Boron can be welded, it just takes the correct setup, wire, technique. Not everyone is set up for dealing with resistance welding or high carbon steel work.
Not necessarily advised to do so, but it can be done. I'm not counting him out or assuming he isn't set up for it.
To assume he is going into this blind and without using proper technique is an internet-heavy problem these days.

Everyone is a virology expert, then a geo-political military strategist, then a metallurgist/AWS certified CWI.
*no offense to those who actually ARE knowledgeable and are posting up facts and data, you guys rock also.

OP, you do you. Best of luck. I'm genuinely curious to the process you end up with avoiding welding and will stay tuned here for updates. Rock on!

EDIT: Love the chopped Caddy, BTW. Nice example of a proper chop.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A half cab that leaves the roll bar in place, without leaking, would be nice to see.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently the nay sayers have never chopped a top. What the OP is proposing is essentially the same process. Remove the existing structure and replace with new structure.

b3a09083d58e14f56c1848812ae273d8.jpg
Read the initial post again. This is not what the OP is proposing. What he’s proposing is a bolt-in solution that allows you to switch between a half cab and full cab.

He also initially claims to be “very close” when he wasn’t even aware that it was a welded in structure.

I'm very close to finishing up my own version of the half cab.

I'll post up when finished.

Who else out there would be interested in a BOLT-ON half cab that requires permanent modification to your steed? My setup would allow the trucks tops to be swapped out, you could have full top AND half cab and switch back and forth depending on your needs or style.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes this video was helpful, but I was hoping for a bolt on solution...oh well here comes the Sawzall!

You better buy a few hundred carbide blades for your sawzall.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great questions....

I don't plan on completely omitting it...I plan on building similar one or cutting 1 that I acquire from a junkyard.... the idea is not to destroy my factory FE unit and keep it in bolt on condition, so I can swap them back-and-forth from the half-cab style roll bar to the full cab style roll bar. Yes I have an airbag solution from a 2dr pickup.
I can't imagine hacking up a $60K new car like this.

Throwback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
will stay tuned for onsueing distruction of said vehicle
colbert-popcorn-popcorn.gif
It will be a masterpiece. I lust after one, so badly. Wish it had a bit longer bed though.
[Edit] 2 Door, single cab. A normal truck.

Last edited:

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will be a masterpiece. I lust after one, so badly. Wish it had a bit longer bed though.
I wish the same thing. I'm wondering what it would take to make a 4 door into a truck.
Sponsored