First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Considering this for my old TJ at the moment.
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The body itself is designed specifically to be suitable for a crash test. Hence why they use boron steel in all the pillars roll bar. Including the windshield and rear cross bar support. Yes the body is isolated from the frame but it’s built to be able to take impacts completely by itself and are made to be structurally sound. There are plenty of tests done against just bodies themselves to prove out they will perform as expected in the event of a crash (Door and roof crushing, pole impacts, etc)

It’s legally impossible to get any repairs to those areas certified as meeting the standards set by the original build. Hence why any repairs to structural components create a salvage title for the vehicle.
Not the case here in Michigan you do need to be certified by ford for ford to view to it as correct the dmv could care less until you cross the 75% of value of the vehicle then it gets a salvage title.
I'd wager that the amount of people who have chopped a top on here can be counted on one hand.
Further wager the amount of people who have cut up body panels, patched, etc. can be counted on two.

I don't have the bravery or funds to do what the OP is doing, but more power to him.
It's his ride, his funds, his vision.
I sincerely hope it turns out aces in the end. Would like to see it.
Boron can be welded, it just takes the correct setup, wire, technique. Not everyone is set up for dealing with resistance welding or high carbon steel work.
Not necessarily advised to do so, but it can be done. I'm not counting him out or assuming he isn't set up for it.
To assume he is going into this blind and without using proper technique is an internet-heavy problem these days.

Everyone is a virology expert, then a geo-political military strategist, then a metallurgist/AWS certified CWI.
*no offense to those who actually ARE knowledgeable and are posting up facts and data, you guys rock also.

OP, you do you. Best of luck. I'm genuinely curious to the process you end up with avoiding welding and will stay tuned here for updates. Rock on!

EDIT: Love the chopped Caddy, BTW. Nice example of a proper chop.
Count me in one of the two hands lol. As a auto body tech for a decade I have cut patches replaced and even sectioned an entire new rear end from just behind the rear seats all the way back on a vehicle. Anything can be done safely with the proper knowledge and tools. I for one am interested in what the OP comes up with.

Last edited:

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not the case here in Michigan you do need to be certified by ford for ford to view to it as correct the dmv could care less until you cross the 75% of value of the vehicle then it gets a salvage title.
Correct however I wasn't referring to the repair being proper or not proper enough for local government. It absolutely can be, and most of the time is, perfectly good and equal to OEM standards. I'm saying in the rare event you're in a future accident that causes life or limb loss, you will not be able to directly sue Ford. It's not uncommon and I have seen the legal team go through the process. Ford will absolutely not cover un-certified repairs. Very rarely will a legal fight even get moving for certified ones. The liability directly falls on the repair center (granted yes in Michigan you can waive that). Though I am not a lawyer and this is not by any means legal speak I just have heard of situations like this over and over again working at Ford.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Correct however I wasn't referring to the repair being proper or not proper enough for local government. It absolutely can be, and most of the time is, perfectly good and equal to OEM standards. I'm saying in the rare event you're in a future accident that causes life or limb loss, you will not be able to directly sue Ford. It's not uncommon and I have seen the legal team go through the process. Ford will absolutely not cover un-certified repairs. Very rarely will a legal fight even get moving for certified ones. The liability directly falls on the repair center (granted yes in Michigan you can waive that). Though I am not a lawyer and this is not by any means legal speak I just have heard of situations like this over and over again working at Ford.
Risk versus reward calculation...

tenor.gif

Sponsored

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a half cab.

Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab tenor
That picture is taken in Williams, AZ outside of Pete's Route 66 gas station museum.

I took my kids to the polar express this past December and saw that bronco there on our way to the brewery.

Intensepisgahbiker

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 XLT 3.5 EB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That picture is taken in Williams, AZ outside of Pete's Route 66 gas station museum.

I took my kids to the polar express this past December and saw that bronco there on our way to the brewery.
Right you are!!

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You probably don’t have too many occasions for passengers but this is slick. I seen this on instagram. I’m not tech savvy enough to know how to get the video over here.
Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab 21766EE4-2181-41DD-AC9F-D41925AE0E32
Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab 08E5155B-6AC7-4930-BCCE-ACC74002788F
Ford Bronco Custom Bronco Half Cab 09A7181A-0007-4EB2-A64F-D951F06E5219
Sponsored