First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wanted to keep things as easy as possible, so bought a factory fusion amp and a 6.75 kicker to replace my amp and sub delete.

I see that there are two positive and two negative wires to the factory sub from the factory harness.

I re-used the factory harness which plugs perfectly to the fusion amp and wired the two positives and two negatives to the Kicker Sub as well, but I see some people have only wired one positive and one negative to their sub...

Did I do this wrong???

Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete KIcker Sub
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.kicker.com/comp-rt-8-2-ohm-subwoofer

This Comp RT8 is a dual voice coil, which is the reason for the two sets of terminals. Check the link below for example wiring. You may have to click the "Dual Voice Coil Wiring Options" link on the page to load it correctly....Kicker's site won't let you link directly to it.

https://www.kicker.com/wiring-diagrams#DVC

I'm no expert either so I'm hoping others can provide more info as I'd like to do the same swap in the future. What are the specs of your new amp?

Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete dual-voice-coil-subwoofer-advantages-examples-diagram

OP
OP

David J

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.kicker.com/comp-rt-8-2-ohm-subwoofer

This Comp RT8 is a dual voice coil, which is the reason for the two sets of terminals. Check the link below for example wiring. You may have to click the "Dual Voice Coil Wiring Options" link on the page to load it correctly....Kicker's site won't let you link directly to it.

https://www.kicker.com/wiring-diagrams#DVC

I'm no expert either so I'm hoping others can provide more info as I'd like to do the same swap in the future. What are the specs of your new amp?

Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete dual-voice-coil-subwoofer-advantages-examples-diagram
I do not know, I was just following what some others were doing. This is a first for me and car audio is not in my wheel house... I got the fusion amp:

FoMoCo FP5T-18C808-AB Audio High Performance Sound System Amplifier for Ford Fusion FP5T18C808AB

Turner00

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to do mine this weekend. I was also planning on mirroring the factory wiring, using both coils with the existing wiring…

Not sure if that is the correct approach.

OP
OP

David J

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I plan to do mine this weekend. I was also planning on mirroring the factory wiring, using both coils with the existing wiring…

Not sure if that is the correct approach.
I will Forscan it today and let you know how it goes.

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Use both factory wires. Without an extension you will have to orient the terminals vertically for the wires to reach and the Kicker logo will be sideways. However since the logo is behind the factory grille it does not matter.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume if you use only one wire-set... that you are getting only one channel (or) that the two channels are blended beforehand... which they could be on the Bronco (don't know).

The two wire-sets really keep each channel isolated, and allows one woofer to operate with a 2-channel (stereo) system.

If you run one set of wires... but run an extra set in-parallel to the other wires on the speakers... then you cut the ohm-value on the woofers in half. As long as your amp can handle the ohms cut in half (i.e. more amps produced)... no problem. You get more power. If the amp isn't made for that (read the specs)... then you might cause a problem for the amp, and the single wires themselves better be able to handle the additional load (basic electronics). What gauge wires are used from the amp to the speakers?

Bottom line... if you know how Ford did it -- follow that methodology.

Notice that in the illustrations above the amp is labeled "mono amp" (i.e. not stereo).

If it were me... I'd be using two wire sets connected to each half of the woofer. You are using the amp as intended (unless you have mono-amp), and the amp-load on the wires is probably correct.

Electrical formula... AMPS = Volts/Ohms. If you wire the voice-coils in parallel and that results in a "1 ohm" speaker load... then you'll need to make sure the wiring can handle a 1-ohm load for whatever amp you are using (check its specs and plug in voltage... then consult load for gauge of wire in use).

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope it made sense.

OP
OP

David J

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I assume if you use only one wire-set... that you are getting only one channel (or) that the two channels are blended beforehand... which they could be on the Bronco (don't know).

The two wire-sets really keep each channel isolated, and allows one woofer to operate with a 2-channel (stereo) system.

If you run one set of wires... but run an extra set in-parallel to the other wires on the speakers... then you cut the ohm-value on the woofers in half. As long as your amp can handle the ohms cut in half (i.e. more amps produced)... no problem. You get more power. If the amp isn't made for that (read the specs)... then you might cause a problem for the amp, and the single wires themselves better be able to handle the additional load (basic electronics). What gauge wires are used from the amp to the speakers?

Bottom line... if you know how Ford did it -- follow that methodology.

Notice that in the illustrations above the amp is labeled "mono amp" (i.e. not stereo).

If it were me... I'd be using two wire sets connected to each half of the woofer. You are using the amp as intended (unless you have mono-amp), and the amp-load on the wires is probably correct.

Electrical formula... AMPS = Volts/Ohms. If you wire the voice-coils in parallel and that results in a "1 ohm" speaker load... then you'll need to make sure the wiring can handle a 1-ohm load for whatever amp you are using (check its specs and plug in voltage... then consult load for gauge of wire in use).

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope it made sense.
Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Thank you for your help

CitadelBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I connected both sides just like the dummy speaker was, and it sounds great.

IMG_6129.jpeg

OP
OP

David J

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I connected both sides just like the dummy speaker was, and it sounds great.

Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete IMG_6129
Ok that's exactly what I did, I will Forscan later today. I also put that foam circular ring that came with the fake speaker back on too, I thought maybe it would help with any vibration from speaker grill cover. Did you cover anything else? I hear people covering openings and stuffing things inside. Did you do any of that?

Sponsored

CitadelBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok that's exactly what I did, I will Forscan later today. I also put that foam circular ring that came with the fake speaker back on too, I thought maybe it would help with any vibration from speaker grill cover. Did you cover anything else? I hear people covering openings and stuffing things inside. Did you do any of that?
I also put the foam circular ring back on with the same thought, but didn’t do the cutting of the metal part on the dummy speaker like that guy in the main thread did.

I think some people who did the 2ohm kicker are closing off the port of the sub. Really that’s personal preference on how you want it to sound. Stuffing the port might make it sounds “cleaner”, but it will also make it quieter. I kept it open. I’m not an expert on that, but was what my understanding of it was.

I also didn’t add any sound deadening or anything else in there, and so far no rattling or anything.

JJCastle

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What forscan settings are you going to use? Im putting the same setup in my Bronco (I already replaced the 4 inch speakers) and am wondering which to use in the back - speaker/sub, tweeter/sub or speaker and tweeter/sub.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted to keep things as easy as possible, so bought a factory fusion amp and a 6.75 kicker to replace my amp and sub delete.

I see that there are two positive and two negative wires to the factory sub from the factory harness.

I re-used the factory harness which plugs perfectly to the fusion amp and wired the two positives and two negatives to the Kicker Sub as well, but I see some people have only wired one positive and one negative to their sub...

Did I do this wrong???

KIcker Sub.jpg
Is the OEM wire with the stripe the positive lead? Would be the opposite of the Kicker and possibly why some have issues if they are following the OEM exactly.

OP
OP

David J

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete B3716CEA-DF02-4604-B959-CAF5D3E28EB1
What forscan settings are you going to use? Im putting the same setup in my Bronco (I already replaced the 4 inch speakers) and am wondering which to use in the back - speaker/sub, tweeter/sub or speaker and tweeter/sub.
Ford Bronco Did I do this wrong??? Wiring Kicker to fusion amp on sub delete ECBB4367-A21E-4997-A391-823C784E8DD7

6 - tweeter / sub.

Thank you Ragnar.Kon!!
Is the OEM wire with the stripe the positive lead? Would be the opposite of the Kicker and possibly why some have issues if they are following the OEM exactly.
The one with the stripe appears to be the negative.

JJCastle

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks!
Sponsored