Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like the same part number is listed twice. Mistake or just additional info on the first entry of this part number?

M2DZ-17A605-D hose at the passenger firewall). Part number includes a set of both hoses, one attaching to the front washer lines and a second routing to the firewall for the rear washers

M2DZ-17A605-D - HOSE (runs from passenger firewall, down behind glove box, adjacent to wire harness running down passenger side and to cargo area hose M2DZ-17A605-F).
Good catch. Looks like it was a text wrapping issue. I've fixed.
Sponsored

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just ordered all of the items you listed. The M2DZ-17A605-F I couldn’t order from the website I ordered the other parts as the Ford.parts.com site stated that it is discontinued. I ordered it from Lakeland Ford’s site.

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just ordered all of the items you listed. The M2DZ-17A605-F I couldn’t order from the website I ordered the other parts as the Ford.parts.com site stated that it is discontinued. I ordered it from Lakeland Ford’s site.
Apparently, the-F part has been replaced. (The order I placed with Lakeland was cancelled) More to come…

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Was:
M2DZ-17A605-F

Is:
M2DZ-17A605-R

part as of 8/7 is on backorder, due to be available on 8/11. Dealer states that the part will be available a couple of weeks after that.

Sponsored

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport ,first edition C.G
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford Bronco Hard Top Prep Kit Retrofit

DIY Writeup Instructions & Photos

20230603_144117.jpg

Are you one of the unlucky ones who received a soft top Bronco, but now find you want to install a hard top, but are missing the supporting equipment on your truck? Using these instructions you can retrofit your Bronco for a hard top if it didn't come equipped to support one from the factory.

Customary Disclosures:
This was done on a 2021 Outerbanks Lux, 2.3L, soft top-only Bronco.

Final confirmation of functionality is pending me sourcing a hard top to confirm all the connections are live. If you want to beat me to the punch & take the steps below to confirm all else works, the Bronco community would greatly appreciate those efforts.

IMPORTANT: Your configuration might be different and cause you to need a different different parts than what I did. It is entirely possible your Bronco was built differently. Before you begin, I recommend getting with your parts guy to confirm which hoses, harness, and parts are correct for your specific build. You will need check that the OEM run to connect your harness for your hard top is present behind the rear drivers side cargo panel. You will also need to confirm your washer fluid reservoir has 2 offshoots, as you will need to connect new hoses to the line capped off. Lastly, you will need to be aware module programming is involved. If you do not have access to the proper tools to get the job done, please leave the install up to your local shop (or dealer) to do the job correctly.

I took TONS of pictures, which you can download and sort by their respective date/time stamp as a visual aid.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-lj_S4LY-FoUq3qWvMOOQIfu6cZeTfFF

Parts Needed (Confirm W/Your Local Ford Dealer For Your Specific Model:

M2DZ-17A605-K - Dual Top Front Hose (under the hood, taps into the washer reservoir and connects to the M2DZ-17A605-D hose at the passenger firewall). Part number includes a set of both hoses, one attaching to the front washer lines and a second routing to the firewall for the rear washers.

M2DZ-17A605-D - HOSE (runs from passenger firewall, down behind glove box, adjacent to wire harness running down passenger side and to cargo area hose M2DZ-17A605-R/M2DZ-17A605-F).

M2DZ-17A605-R (Part # Replaced 2DZ-17A605-F - HOSE (connects to M2DZ-17A605-D and runs across the rear cargo area from passenger side to drivers side, connecting to M2DZ-17A605-G).

M2DZ-17A605-G - Lower Hose (quick disconnect hose that connects to hard top hose, or next to the wire harness in the cargo panel when not used).

M2DZ-15A657-A - Wire Assembly (Connects to existing harness at rear of vehicle).

M2DZ-3F791-CB - Steering Column Control Module (Front and Rear Washer Control, replaces existing, requires programming).

M2DZ-78245A26-B and M2DZ-78245A27-B - Hard Top Bracket Latch Mounts

W721071-S450B - TP50 Bolts Qty 6x - Secures Hard Top Bracket Latch Mounts

M2DZ-19980-C - HVAC Controls including rear defrost (heated mirrors, seats, steering wheel).

Tools needed:
1. Assorted trim panel tools
2. 7mm socket
3. 8mm socket
4. 10mm socket
5. Torx T10 bit.
6. Torx T40 bit.
7. Torx T50 bit.
8. Needle nose pliers.
9. J2534 Compliant Scan Tool
10. Laptop loaded with the Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS) software (configure your scan tool before using). Here are the websites to download the FDRS software and buy a license (was $50 for a 2-day last I checked).

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/VDIRS/wds/vcm_retail_renewal_Latest.asp

https://www2.helminc.com/ngsm/account_create.asp?u=&src=motorcraft

Caution: Proceed at your own risk when programming (my formal disclaimer if you screw up your own Bronco).

Instructions
Installing comes in 4 separate parts. First is routing & connecting the washer fluid reservoir hoses & hard top wire harness. Second is installing the turn signal switch for the rear washer. Third is installing the hard top brackets. Fourth is installing the HVAC Controls for the rear defrost.

Hose Routing & Wire Harness Installation
1. Disassembly: Begin by disconnecting your battery. Start the hose routing process by using your trim panel tools to remove the front and rear passenger floor trim panel that conceals the location for the rear washer hose route, adjacent to the wire chase.

WT4YTSDq5mfnQSVFLXoiDMgNEgHm9rKCte2_ip5J_nqfnonhbk.jpg

1Q4gfpMaOkKIh3Hm2FweKSYhdmDxfxrVN-jbkS57D7m17zjLa8.jpg

Remove the passenger front kick panel (the one with the grill covering the speaker).

655W7Jq0Y8bxWDyt7ywEMRveTwFANcVvPqvEyd_jrgLgF9Mkjk.jpg

Remove the glove box by pressing inward on the two tabs holding the glovebox to the dash trim and slide out the tab holding the guide in place - glovebox will swing down & you can disconnect it from the 3 tabs serving as the hinge.

OyHWJuf0T3MVNBsl7o8f_9vaMHKfDb1DDb0pdxG-_-sEWizRuI.jpg

Remove the interior trim panel between the front and rear passenger doors. Remove the trim paneling that runs the length of the cargo area by folding down your rear seats and pulling upward on the panel.

t2nhsWFHGnjsoBUUEdYoSgU1Dzk7c97Q0fFTORVNGPof5dZOlY.jpg
dCnQqzx3dH3rCO4ryamIxIXGuPp0wRKYE7BECy1vnfshtMZd_4.jpg

Using the 10mm socket, remove the 4 bolts securing the cargo floor and hooks.

KBQ7nB5J1Z9Zbsk30WL8r-mzDk42tVVe_UYNZLCV2emOA9PMzs.jpg

Then remove the cargo area's floor panel. Release your soft top at the rear cargo area and using an 8mm socket, remove the driver side bolt that secures the soft top latch.

unDAKxwurT_eRh3ID5dr86tGLxwy_mXry19T5TqauECXxMqwWA.jpg

Remove the plastic trim piece closest to the cargo opening.

c2AVr839j-bImQIuV_jOHS7VJPUugE6eIYOaVqBjy_73X1sNeY.jpg

Remove the very small 4" trim piece nearby the roll bar.

_vBbgRqHv4A73yFtPXspX0T8zDU1lz6hoZBKRt4DUna1uW8H6Y.jpg

Once removed, pry the driverside cargo panel out, being careful not to yank out the keyless antenna hiding just behind it. Note that this will require a little more effort to get loose. Disconnect the keyless entry antenna & remove the cargo paneling.

hRDuvgEiKo2O-TFaQs05qSXMxWV4VNd7Ty57PnYfIWE5qk_R5k.jpg

qSUkSj2qremAaOOoO6iCWtfpfMOuF2xQwGUVFkWRfD3Ur7yjp4.jpg

Lastly, using an 8mm socket, losen the 3 bolts securing the coolant reservoir under the hood, to access the firewall and plug/grommet.

cDwtkhs1XOVV0w4giJumx7B-NjifcoMQzRuwfvEDGyJeTtyJww.jpg

2. Hose Routing: At the firewall, push out the grommet just behind the coolant reservoir to begin routing the first hose.

Ly8Ct5UFb5lOxIdDuQ2UnIwphTF6a6ABDoiAQI4h5XY1vTCTtc.jpg

Unpack hose M2DZ-17A605-D (this is your longest) and from inside the vehicle behind the glovebox, push the end surrounded with the rubber firewall grommet out and into the engine bay.

20230711_134132.jpg

3sTZrggxPlxzucp4eJDB7k1DK3VQRd1U0a-B97Q6D5zqA76eJg.jpg

Next begin routing the hose down the passenger side chase towards the rear cargo area. Note that the hose has plastic clamps attached with push-style fasteners that should perfectly align with holes the length of the chase.

20230603_071917.jpg

Once secure, at the hose end near the rear cargo area, connect hose M2DZ-17A605-F and route it behind the rear passenger paneling. I was able to run it using my panel tools to guide the hose, without having to completely remove that panel - be careful not to damage the hose if doing so. Alternatively, you can remove that panel for better access. Route the cargo area hose from behind the rear passenger seats across to the driver side cargo area. Take a moment to observe the existing wire harness transversing the same area and note the black plastic clamps intended to secure the hose.
IMG_20230602_193053_01.jpg

2Sal38bl4rlNT-z9nKDIm8QeH6BwGYdnm_VR2DKL0WvewdH60g.jpg

Once your hose is routed and secure, connect the M2DZ-17A605-G hose to the end and route using the clamps along the wire harness. Lastly, moving back to the engine bay, locate the capped washer reservoir hose. Remove the cap carefully using your needle nose pliers. Locate your M2DZ-17A605-K Dual Top Front Hose and observe. This part number includes a set of both hoses, one attaching to the front washer lines and a second routing to the firewall for the rear washers. You can either replace the existing hose with the new assembly, or separate the rear washer hose and use only that (choice is yours). Connect to the rear hose to the washer reservoir hose previously capped and the other end to the hose now sticking through the firewall.

Wb57l8DKBCQGFIHd39Zl7Xkekm705WImGe7Eqw2ZeO6tECliCA.jpg

0WpkAhyNQegpA3EzN9jNDluI326ZFZ40TUtmvczLa1ug03NeAM.jpg

3. Harness connection: (this is the easiest part): move to the rear cargo area again and locate the factory wire chase. You will need to locate the plug facing downward, with the black, yellow, and blue wires going into it. Using hard top wiring harness M2DZ-15A657-A, connect the two together. Secure the wire to the vehicle by locating the mounting points for the clips on the wires and simply pushing them into the hole.

4deQTe3I1A9oDXu67HAJfTsSuYFHItVNP5qhNeFnGxavvgFONk.jpg

WzndgPBhkuekmQo7IkJah7bUnhevfn_Cgs7toufwes6z88uTJU.jpg

d5ORjZdJ4RFIacSU2svNQUEevGzokoDSC5tOHBFFdAKsYx3llQ.jpg

4. Reassebly: Double check your connections are all tight and begin reassembling your Bronco, by doing step 1 in reverse order.

cqVxqv2WiGuuWee6htw5E8LTlBl9fgqP8GUhCtJItvYxKHksew.jpg

Turn Signal Switch (Steering Column Control Module) Install

20230610_164249.jpg

1. Disassembly: Start the install by removing driver side dash trim under the steering wheel. Pull firmly to release release the trim & get the panel to swing down. (Optional) remove the panel by removing the push pins. Situate the steering wheel in the upright position and lock it in place. Using a 7mm socket, remove the 3 screws securing the steering column panel in place. Next, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees, exposing the two clips behind it to release the trim tabs. Lift the steering column upper trim panel. Straighten the steering wheel, make sure both tires are facing forward and not turned.

wK792tsKdnijtpuqhGHDRQdf1We1kqyemHgs6M-s46W-Jazhbo.jpg

hQD8K5ozOv-rkMcyRaavEQEhy8wc3yp8gj1gB7zw9_HYG-fOVE.jpg

b8P3KBaAUvK_4fZKH9itydq7n9PE4Mz4KG6BpNDzxy3c3iTyJQ.jpg

c7sNBIi8thQrvJxnqiIPPVWgjQwJoXk8mhdl5AIADDxT-zfZuw.jpg

2KtDjk3z2KaU9-1GBIHFXGc6d555_oMwIW1--7IN1kJr2AwUeg.jpg

2. Rear Washer Switch/Turn Signal Switch/SCCM Module Installation: Boot up FDRS and run the SCCM PMI.

pgo9p7OKJrE8YtbxUhvRAFt7vilkZ12rLAIlvto29_xA6HYRIc.jpg

JDg1mv5ky-ue1zi38CCVoEa-WEoV99LEzzZajmxdd9EkaVM-GQ.jpg

Follow the prompts and begin disassembly of the steering wheel/airbag when prompted.

HUu_odYaeVD0zfaRhoSgscxvqpaFgdToQWbb5-e3O11Y2zZrzo.jpg

Next with the steering column trim removed, take steps to remove the airbag. Make sure the battery is disconnected. Locate two holes behind the steering wheel, approximately in the 8 and 4 o'clock position. Release the airbag clips by inserting two of the largest allen keys you can fit.

0w5H14AIqXyLzHthm5eZPnGStqw87jyraeXhgCMOhiz6wQPcFg.jpg

Bottom middle clip releases, followed by left and right. Next, remove the airbag connectors by pulling the orange clips outward. Disconnect the the two pin connector (black and red wires) and put the airbag aside.

D80Lu6gbdFa5T0ihlvUHuJMSTtobPrNQGqQvQbCrfONLHh23C8.jpg

Next, using a T50 Torx Bit, remove the bolt securing the steering wheel to the column, then remove the steering wheel, carefully routing the wires through the opening. Be careful to not allow the steering wheel clock spring to turn when removing. With the steering wheel removed, use tape to secure the clock spring in place. Disconnect the turn signal/clock spring electrical connection and remove the large screws holding the using a T10 bit. Remove the turn signal assembly. Replace the turn signal assembly with the new one that includes the rear washer/wiper switch, installing the electrical connections & moving the airbag wire harness to the new assembly. There should be a white tab (anti-rotation key) preventing the clock spring from spinning. It's important this not be removed until the steering wheel is installed. Reinstall the steering wheel and remove the anti-rotation key. Reconnect the airbag and secure it into place. You should hear it click into place.

EVPoLqX403UMWJip2Be2_VXoLaCWfq50WOLd8ENWbGNmE1pBuQ.jpg

e1mp-TjbHYbP_amRcUrSM0C1xQ5__QSPSakzGaW-bLPQ7e6l8I.jpg

FZFJWl4Bh0iYFb4-prPL-Z1RU4IwyM1fXSIPhoUaSpeZMcNo5g.jpg

DYtUlifOMDmk1mOrsbeQ11B-1RkdYDhMRjBm-CvGYo_9A7SJjE.jpg

db9qGal_HHU-Kqpq-1M6lZxILYgFYZlG4_Fm-qBaHxtmYilM8w.jpg

y28vR2OZms8PzPkLr7F5d-nEFJHlLVmJTJP9pmoJXwQCI3zjOg.jpg

3. Lastly, reassemble your steering column panels and the driverside loaer dash panel. Reconnect the battery and in FDRS, acknowledge the installation of the new Steering Column Control Module and allow FDRS to complete the programming of the new module. Your switch install is now complete.

6lTCSyv1GTj_I8cFljS_NC5i8js10V6seYQONYJvOt-zu-nIew.jpg

Hard Top Bracket Install
1. Grab your two M2DZ-78245A26-B and M2DZ-78245A27-B - Hard Top Bracket Latch Mounts and 6 of the TP50 Bolts. Each are labeled with an arrow and the words "forward."

2. Point the arrow to the front of the vehicle and secure the brackets in place with the 3 TP50 Bolts.

3. Marvel at your work. You're almost to the finish line.

qVp9QsRcEbvtq-vsvQ4YciBBu-iq9AiJnwTa80CSepXzmmuw1U.png

AifffghCWsya2cmJZlhm4iDPFHWBf5bimlYYRTLQXRzc_6EGxU.jpg

L7LGlD3ZAYet384-gmMb4vFzi2w3PeZPIwY7iJbFXXIoNCpJ_0.jpg

HVAC Module Control Installation For Rear Defrost

1. Disassembly & Install: Begin the installation by removing the trim panel just below the HVAC control and a above the console USB Ports.

fMXZn5BCea8oebuqnffQ37kmOjqwNFzu_ttVQBTBpW2KN8j_GA.jpg

Release and lower the trim panel just below the steering wheel.

f7VPdXRgkhZgIl2s5QmAPKc6lRZ_LV6Uj7gDAkI6LSiso81GNI.jpg

Remove the grab handle from the center console. Open the glove compartment, press on the two tabs and lower it out of the way.

qeUv0rW5aWDu8k_lzoKFMd3VZFG5voxEhqBGtFAirjOrncM9m4.jpg

RtyLnofm-vHNlXB0eJTrtl9NB-3oFbJQYf57QjS2eL80EeH02s.jpg

Remove the two screws securing the HVAC Module in place. Before removing the panel, at this point, grab your laptop, boot up FDRS and begin the HVAC Programmable Module Installation. Follow prompts and when prompted, remove the panel with the old HVAC Module. Disconnect the 3 wire harnesses to completely remove the panel.

u-qfJbLjfr96E5Hl0lo2VIJLIK3cTNZShjpg4LXmjQ4RQ_Z-gU.jpg

On the rear, remove the 5 screws securing the old HVAC Controls in place. Remove the HVAC Control module and replace with the one supporting the rear defrost.

yDt30kaqvsx5QXhpSAqQwxYovRVA-wvo8y-JB8B7Irn55duqxQ.jpg

Reverse the removal process noted above to reinstall.

3. Programming: Move back to FDRS, complete the module installation. Congratulations. You are ready to install your hard top.

Time to install
3.5 hours (less for an experienced tech)

Thanks so much.

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
maybe a silly question but my Bronco came with a hard top prep kit so a hard top should be plug n play I think….is this correct?

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

maybe a silly question but my Bronco came with a hard top prep kit so a hard top should be plug n play I think….is this correct?
Yes

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate you and your input.
Broncos that were built from May-Aug of 2021 didn’t get the prep-kit. They started with Sept builds. Pretty much a bullshit late call that should have been implemented from day 1 job 1.

Sponsored

Repins

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
First, thank you fo all of this info. I am getting ready to go thru the same thing. Any chance you remember how much this all cost you? Did you get a quote from the dealer to do the same thing?

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, thank you fo all of this info. I am getting ready to go thru the same thing. Any chance you remember how much this all cost you? Did you get a quote from the dealer to do the same thing?
You'll spend anywhere from $500-700 depending on how savvy a shopper you are. Took about 3-4 hours, so assume a shop rate of $150-170 if you're having a dealer do it for you.

Stinger06

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 21 Badlands Lux pkg. I bought it used. The vehicle is a Canadian model and originally came from the factory with a soft top. The first owner did a conversion with the wiring, tubing, and Ford hardtop. I replaced the rear glass since one of the electrical tabs has broke off. I have the switch but not the HVAC controller. My question is will I still have functional side mirror heaters when the new module goes in with heated rear glass symbol? Can the heated mirror switch on my current HVAC controller be programmed for the rear glass?

OP
OP
RustysBronco

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 21 Badlands Lux pkg. I bought it used. The vehicle is a Canadian model and originally came from the factory with a soft top. The first owner did a conversion with the wiring, tubing, and Ford hardtop. I replaced the rear glass since one of the electrical tabs has broke off. I have the switch but not the HVAC controller. My question is will I still have functional side mirror heaters when the new module goes in with heated rear glass symbol? Can the heated mirror switch on my current HVAC controller be programmed for the rear glass?
I think we've concluded that you need to swap the HVAC controller with the rear glass defroster and program it. If you had functional side mirrors before and you buy the module for heated mirrors and rear defrost, and program it, you should be fine.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think we've concluded that you need to swap the HVAC controller with the rear glass defroster and program it. If you had functional side mirrors before and you buy the module for heated mirrors and rear defrost, and program it, you should be fine.
That being said, we don’t know if it’s possible to just program the version with just the mirror to activate the defrost grid. It’s entirely possible, but someone with more knowledge of FDRS would have to chime in.
Sponsored