lonslo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not being familiar with Ford products, I’m wondering about the manual mode (assuming one) in the automatic transmission of the Bronco.

If I’m in manual mode, will the onboard computer automatically shift down a gear if an rpm limit is reached In the desired gear?
Sponsored

Blksunshine06

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 FX4 Screw 3.5 , 2000 TJ 4 cyl. 5 speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

*Short answer is yes, sorry I had to type it out my way!

If you are going too fast to shift into a gear, it will not shift until you get to an appropriate speed. This is all from my experience with a 2014 F150.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

not positive, but one thing I do like is Ford allows the "+" "-" to act as an override even when in auto. at least it did on the 18 Edge, and 20 explorer I've had. For example, driving in the rockies of Colorado in auto, I can hit "-" and it will down shift on steep grades, for acceleration or braking, it seems to automatically sense the requirements/needs and will hold temporarily then revert back to auto. Really convenient and user friendly.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not being familiar with Ford products, I’m wondering about the manual mode (assuming one) in the automatic transmission of the Bronco.

If I’m in manual mode, will the onboard computer automatically shift down a gear if an rpm limit is reached In the desired gear?
Depends on the application. In the Mustang, if you're in sport mode and you hit the paddles, it will hold a gear indefinitely as you accelerate, and if you don't hit the paddle, it will bounce off the rev limiter in that gear. When you slow down, again depending on your drive mode, it will downshift to keep the revs up.

In most other Ford applications, if you accelerate to the top of a gear, the trans will upshift on its own, even if you are in "manual" paddle mode and you didn't hit the paddle. As you slow down, it won't downshift to keep your RPMs up, but it will downshift when revs drop to basically idle.

I would bet that they'll have the Bronco automatically upshift when it hits the rev limiter. Turbo engines bouncing off the rev limiter are not happy engines. I'm sure there will be some difference in downshift behavior between drive modes (eco = never downshift, sport = always downshift).

OP
OP
lonslo

lonslo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base

My first post and I botched it.

I meant to ask : will the auto transmission in manual mode shift *up* a gear if an rpm limit is reached? Perhaps there is a switched override?

For context, think of going up a steep grade where momentum is required. Maintaining rpms or higher rpms would be desired. A decrease in rpms because of an automatic up shift, less desired.

The mustang application sounds interesting, assuming I understand it.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My F-150 will not upshift by itseld in manual mode. It'll sit there and bounce off the rev limiter if I want it to. Situations vary. If you're going up a steep sand dune, Baja mode will hold the lowest gear possible at all times and give you your desired result. If we're talking about a steep rocky incline you'll want to be in 4-lo anyways and the exact transmission gear won't really matter all that much since your in low range. In that situation I would leave it in auto and probably in rock crawl mode and let it do its thing.

OP
OP
lonslo

lonslo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
My F-150 will not upshift by itseld in manual mode. It'll sit there and bounce off the rev limiter if I want it to. Situations vary. If you're going up a steep sand dune, Baja mode will hold the lowest gear possible at all times and give you your desired result. If we're talking about a steep rocky incline you'll want to be in 4-lo anyways and the exact transmission gear won't really matter all that much since your in low range. In that situation I would leave it in auto and probably in rock crawl mode and let it do its thing.
...noted. Perhaps Bronco has something the same or similar to Baja mode. Steep, soft, loose was the situation I had in mind. Thanks.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

...noted. Perhaps Bronco has something the same or similar to Baja mode. Steep, soft, loose was the situation I had in mind. Thanks.
Badlands, Wildtrak, and FE will have Baja as one of the GOAT modes.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think my F150 shifts at redline in manual, but it will refuse an up shift or downshift command in certain situations. It will not lug or stall. It has a very soft rev limiter. Just for fun I am going to go bang some shifts in sport mode at the limit and I will report back if I don’t go to jail.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been considering manual for the Bronco, so I have been playing around with the auto stick in my 2015 F150 and my son's JKU Wrangler. In the Wrangler it seems to act just like a manual and doesn't auto shift without your input. In the F150 I noticed it shifting some on its own in manual mode, but I can't remember exactly which scenario triggered it (upshift vs. downshift).

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, I did a brief test on my 2018 F150 2.7/10sp. Manual, sport mode it bangs softly against the rev limiter, but does not shift up. Did this for maybe 6 or 7 seconds and it kept just hitting the rev limiter. Shifts down when the speed and rpm go below a certain point (to avoid a stall or engine damage from lugging). It will not allow upshifts past a certain gear and speed for the same reason. When it is above red line in manual mode, banging against the red line, manual shifting isn’t crisp. It actually seems best in Sport automatic mode IMO.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have. 2012 Edge SEL with the 6 cylinder engine. The automatic transmission has (Manual) +/- shifting. I’ve never purposely redlined it going faster, as the engine makes quite a ruckus at 5K rpm. I’m sure it can handle more but why break my only car?

As you come to a stop it will stay in the gear you have it until you stop. Then it automatically drops down to 1st gear and will stay there until you manually upshift again.

It works just fine on hills. NJ and the Hudson valley have have lots of stealth inclines and I’ve taken to using M mode frequently. Giddy up! Up the hill we go.

By contrast the hill assist when going downhill in Automatic mode doesn’t seem to want to kick in. It sometimes does but not often enough. I’ll get rolling to 50 in a 30 if I don’t watch it.
Sponsored