First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah mine is the same, other definitely should get it looked at.

I also agree this is the EASIEST manual transmission vehicle I have ever driven. The computer adds some throttle for you when you release the clutch pedal. My old Gen 2 Tacoma would stall if you looked at it funny, probably didn't help that it had 0 torque under 2k rpm.

The C-1 shift off-roading or in traffic takes some practice. I just push up and let the shifter pop out of the locked gate on it's own, once it's cleared the gate then up with slight left pressure to 1. You can feel the lockout pop back into position once you clear it.

I have mistaken R-C but that's on me not being used to it.
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree with a lot said. There is a little slop and disconnected feeling compared to a great feeling trans like a Miata, but it's not bad for a 4x4. The Focus comparison is decent.

It's kind of odd how resting neutral is between 1-2 instead of 3-4 like most 5 speeds. Super easy to drive though and haven't missed a shift yet. Most of my driving since getting it home has been city.
Willing to bet the retaining clips that hold your shifter connections to the gearbox are not secured all the way — there was a video of someone who couldn’t put their bronco into reverse because reverse and crawl we’re actually 1-2, 1-2 were actually 3-4, and so on. Their retaining clips weren’t secure and clipping them in right fixed it.

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great thread. This has helped me to better understand a lot of what I’ve experienced with this transmission.

I’ve had more trouble with this manual than any other I’ve driven in my life. Why? The engine is so quiet, the clutch is so light, and the gears go in and out really easily. The clutch also engages really early like someone else said and then you’ve got a lot of pedal release left without any benefit.

I love my Getrag S550 Mustang because the clutch is spring loaded, you can hear what the engine is doing, and you can feel when gears are engaged or not. Plus, the Bronco shifter is angled back so it threw off my baseline of what neutral should be.

I’ve got it now without any issues, but it could be an adjustment if you’re like me and you grew up driving Willys Jeep, Volvo, and Mustang GT manuals.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Willing to bet the retaining clips that hold your shifter connections to the gearbox are not secured all the way — there was a video of someone who couldn’t put their bronco into reverse because reverse and crawl we’re actually 1-2, 1-2 were actually 3-4, and so on. Their retaining clips weren’t secure and clipping them in right fixed it.
Interesting. I have all gears just fine but it may be right on the edge.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine may be an opinion from a different perspective. I come from a racing background and work best with very sensitive controls, especially on throttle and shifting. This is a personal thing, but I work best with very slight inputs. On my Focus ST I installed both a short shift arm and a short shift lever to get the smallest throws possible.

That being said, for now I am extremely impressed with the clutch action and the shifting performance of the 2.3/7MT. For now I don’t plan on changing a thing, though I find the throws longer than optimal. I find the clutch to be light and easy to learn. It reminds me a lot of my KTM’s clutch action, for some reason, as does the shifting. I have yet to miss a shift or grind a gear.

FWIW.

Sponsored

Techguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford & Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove the MT off road at a recent Bronco event. I hadn’t driven any MT in 20+ years. Seeing as this was my first real off road experience and it had been so long since I drove a MT, I had visions of me stalling all over the place with my wife laughing in the back seat. All I can say is that if I didn’t have a VIN, I would be very tempted to switch from an auto to a MT. My spotter told me to put the Bronco into 4L, then shift into 3rd gear, and then said “with both the clutch and brake pedals depressed, slowly start to release the clutch and as you feel the clutch starting to catch (he called it the sweet spot), the Bronco will automatically start to raise the RPMs, then release the brake (without touching the throttle), and finish releasing the clutch.” Darn if the Bronco didn’t just start moving smoothly without ever touching the throttle. It was almost magic.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought "start in gear” referred to the auto start if you stall as soon as you begin pressing clutch? What’s “start in gear”?

South Bend Clutch is working on an aftermarket upgrade.

This was also my first MT in 10+ years (last was a highly modified 1988 VW Fox Wagon). Very different. Haha.

I hadn’t done any rocky off-roading either - and once I got the feel and motor skills of operating the brake instead of the throttle in 4L it was like @Techguy said - magical.

I need to play with Crawler a bit more. I stalled 2-3 times in C - but, never in 4L and 1. Perhaps I just didn’t NEED C for the lines I was on. Again, I’m a 4x4 n00b - but, HIGHLY enjoying the 7MT.

On the road it’s fun as hell. Especially with the Panda + Sprint Booster combo. I’d say it feels much quicker than the 2.7 I drove a decent amount (and disliked very much).

Last edited:

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven't seen it anywhere... Any rev match on downshift?

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is - and I haven’t tried the crawler gear on a rock - but there are times you need to slip a little to get started without stalling - after coming to a stop halfway up a rock for example.
It has the “crank in gear” feature for this situation.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought "start in gear” referred to the auto start if you stall as soon as you begin pressing clutch? What’s “start in gear”?
It is not. The start in gear, or crank in gear, feature is when you leave your foot off the clutch and use the starter the move the vehicle and restart the engine simultaneously. It is used so the there is no risk of roll back when restarting.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow. Haven’t tried that feature.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree with a lot said. There is a little slop and disconnected feeling compared to a great feeling trans like a Miata, but it's not bad for a 4x4. The Focus comparison is decent.

It's kind of odd how resting neutral is between 1-2 instead of 3-4 like most 5 speeds. Super easy to drive though and haven't missed a shift yet. Most of my driving since getting it home has been city.
Mine rests between 3-4. As others have said, may want to get that looked at sooner rather than later. I haven't checked how the clips are arranged, but I had one car pop the linkages out one time and all I had was even gears. It was easy enough to make the repair, but it was kinda lame and I lost a drag race because of it lol

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From Tyler at BroncBuster (re: South Bend Clutch): It will be a stiffer more engaging clutch. It will be a single mass fly wheel rather than a dual mass. Hopefully will be available in the next two months.
Sponsored