Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I drove my Dad's car around and his acted the exact same as mine, so I kept wondering what the issue was. The shifting is fairly "rough" between 1->2, it isn't grindy or gritty rough, it just lurches a bit. So when I saw "rough", that is what I am referring to.

I went back to Windrock and figured it out amidst our trip. The issue is that if you switch from 1->2 in manual mode, the car sometimes decides "Nope, I wanna be in 1" almost immediately after shifting into 2. The result is you get a really rough shift into 2, then the same rough downshift into 1. It's so dramatic it flung me forward enough to hit the horn at least once. So the problem is the car shifts from 1->2->1 in basically one motion. Even my Dad, who was riding with me, was surprised how violent it was.

You have to be REALLY careful when going into 2 and ensure you have enough RPM/speed to keep it there or it will just decide to drop you into 1 immediately after and it is a very rough experience. I really wish it wouldn't downshift past 2 automatically, it lets you start in 2 and it appears in Auto it keeps you above 2 most of the time barely going to 1, so it seems ridiculous that this is a thing, but until (if) they decide to fix it, be aware of it.
Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy old thread. I find 4 low, kinda odd for when I am in automatic mode. The shifting has a mind of its own. When it down shifts it happens at the worst possible time it can really spike the rpm and you have to slam the brakes. Seems to be a computer programming issue. When I am in manual mode doesn’t happen. But I do have to watch my rpm for shifting. I’ve learned to just let off the throttle a bit then up shift. Watching rpm is key to avoid rough shifts/lurching. My dealer mentioned nothing wrong with tranny. Just need to get use to 4 low and recommend manual mode for most trails.

For the folks on the thread is this still a problem for you? Or did you end up with a new tranny or transfer case? Maybe my experience is not normal. 🤣