Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
  • Banned
I was reading the various Bronco features as described on the ford website, and i noticed they referred to the parking brake as an electric brake.

My question is , what happens to this system in the event of power loss? If you have a manual transmission that you park in neutral, and the battery dies... would your vehicle roll away on you?
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was reading the various Bronco features as described on the ford website, and i noticed they referred to the parking brake as an electric brake.

My question is , what happens to this system in the event of power loss? If you have a manual transmission that you park in neutral, and the battery dies... would your vehicle roll away on you?
The vehicle wouldn't roll away since the motor already engaged, but you might not be able to release it.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, you are stuck. It's two way power activated. But why would you park in neutral. You are supposed to park a stick shift in either 1st or Reverse.

And of course you wouln't be able to push start it either, since the brake needs power to disengage.

I've only ever used the parking brake with the engine running in neutral though. (like at the bank ATM)

OP
OP

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
  • Banned
No, you are stuck. It's two way power activated. But why would you park in neutral. You are supposed to park a stick shift in either 1st or Reverse.

And of course you wouln't be able to push start it either, since the brake needs power to disengage.

I've only ever used the parking brake with the engine running in neutral though. (like at the bank ATM)
Thanks, That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. The reason for asking is the winters here are long and I'm hoping someone will eventually make a remote start that's compatible with the manual Bronco.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can deal with the video game dash, but this is where electronics have gone too far.

A mechanical hand brake next to the driver is a useful tool, especially in rigs with manual transmissions.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As some here have already found out, and others are sure to follow, leaving the vehicle in neutral with an e brake is asking for a less than optimal outcome. Even mechanical brakes fail at time and it's a questionable habit, but you're just asking for trouble with the e brake.

I've personally seen 3 vehicles roll away in neutral with a mechanical brake set. Two were funny, but one almost ran over my son. None of the 3 vehicles were mine as that's just not the way I was taught from a kid to drive a stick.
Sponsored

Last edited: