Sponsored

Element Fire Extinguishers

Deleted member 3063

While this product has it's uses I'm sure, it's not a catch all, very few are. You'll need to check if it's even law or insurance approved in applications where extinguishers are required, i.e. RVs and some boats. My main complaints, weird striker cap ignition, closeness needed for use (no range), doesn't shut off.
Might be better off with an aerosol kitchen type like the First Alert Tundra two pack, 3 year for $15 or the Kidde dry chem two pack, 6 year for $39.
I keep 2 Kidde in my motor home and a Tundra in my glove box, if I need more I'm out the door.

One size does not fit all.
Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also recently discovered Element and plan to put them in all of our vehicles, garage & mechanical room. I sent the link to my crew also

I’ve always stored a traditional extinguisher in my truck.
Recently I discovered that the safety trigger had snapped off and could no longer be reinserted into the
extinguisher. I store it under the rear seat in my Tacoma wrapped up in a towel to keep it from bouncing around. Man, just imagine if it accidentally discharged! Ha ha ha! So it’s time for a new one anyway.

Bonus is their mounting solutions are pretty slick.

PEACE.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 3 of them, two in my Motorhome, one in front and one in the rear bedroom. The third was a spare but will end up in my Bronco. I haven't had to use one but did see a demo, my son is a CalFire Capt and tested them, they work awesome! like a road flare, once ignited will burn for 50/100 seconds (depending on which one you have) and put out a ton of retardant, but leave no residue. As a side note, this is the same tech used on the ISS for fire suppression.
Ford Bronco Element Fire Extinguishers IMG_3870.JPG

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While this product has it's uses I'm sure, it's not a catch all, very few are. You'll need to check if it's even law or insurance approved in applications where extinguishers are required, i.e. RVs and some boats. My main complaints, weird striker cap ignition, closeness needed for use (no range), doesn't shut off.
Might be better off with an aerosol kitchen type like the First Alert Tundra two pack, 3 year for $15 or the Kidde dry chem two pack, 6 year for $39.
I keep 2 Kidde in my motor home and a Tundra in my glove box, if I need more I'm out the door.

One size does not fit all.
This is an ABCK CE & TUV rated extinguisher and will work on Combustibles, flammable liquids, electrical, and grease fires. That covers most any fire you are apt to have in a home or vehicle. It does not 'smother' the fire, but fights the fire on the molecular level by chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, and leaves no residue at all. Much better than a bulky, heavy, short lived chemical extinguisher that expires and leaves a mess. Hey, if this tech is good enough to be used on the ISS then I am good with it.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stick with a 2.5 or 5 pound A,B,C dry chemical extinguisher for a vehicle.

Dry chemical is non toxic and forms a crust over the fuel preventing the fire from coming back. If this product only uses gas, that crust will not exist. I assume this product is simply displacing something in the fire tetrahedron. If that's the case you risk re ignition.

The fire in the video is very mild and the hood it conveniently already up. They put themselves in a best case scenario for sales purposes. Lifting the hood in an engine compartment fire without nomex gear and a breathing apparatus can cause serious injury or even death.

Dry chemical allows you to extinguish a fire from a safe distance. Looks like for this product you have to get right up on it, even put your arm in the engine compartment. :oops: Getting this close to a vehicle fire safely is not realistic.

They just drizzled a bit of gas on the ground and on top of the engine. This is not nearly as violent as an actual vehicle fire. There's a reason why firefighters wear full protective gear for these types of fires.

Dry chemical extinguishers are proven to work. And trust me they do! I don't see the point of gambling.

These kinds of products have a place in the world. But when you're in the boonies and your Bronco's on fire...........give me the best / proven thing you got! ?

Ford Bronco Element Fire Extinguishers EopUKAVU0AAR_D-

Firefighters in full gear

Ford Bronco Element Fire Extinguishers Car_On_Fire

Example of a more realistic vehicle fire

Ford Bronco Element Fire Extinguishers Fire Extinguisher Training Live Burn Old-1

Dry chemical allows you to do some work from a safe distance

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

This is an ABCK CE & TUV rated extinguisher and will work on Combustibles, flammable liquids, electrical, and grease fires. That covers most any fire you are apt to have in a home or vehicle. It does not 'smother' the fire, but fights the fire on the molecular level by chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, and leaves no residue at all. Much better than a bulky, heavy, short lived chemical extinguisher that expires and leaves a mess. Hey, if this tech is good enough to be used on the ISS then I am good with it.
Believe it or not I actually watched these videos and read up on the element prior to posting.
Opinion stands, do what you will the next time you are in a sealed enviroment like the ISS.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Believe it or not I actually watched these videos and read up on the element prior to posting.
Opinion stands, do what you will the next time you are in a sealed environment like the ISS.
Agreed it has it's place. Halon or something like this is a "decent" choice for electronics ect.

Vehicles are nothing like that situation. After spending 20+ years in the fire service, I've been around a few vehicle fires. I'd go with the 2.5 - 5 pound A,B,C dry chemical.

Heck we carry a 20 pounder on the apparatus!

Last edited:

Bigkansas

Badlands
First Name
AUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these UL listed? If not, it really limits these to a personal use type thing.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these UL listed? If not, it really limits these to a personal use type thing.
I haven't dug deep enough into the product to know. Once the video started, I immediately knew it was not the best vehicle option. It's almost dangerous to be honest.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed it has it's place. Halon is used in environments with sensitive electronics. An example would be a large data center. Because it displaces oxygen, it's used in non occupied environments. The ISS is occupied, so something like this is a "decent" option.

Vehicles are nothing like either of these situations. After spending 20+ years in the fire service, I've been around a few vehicle fires. I'd go with the 2.5 - 5 pound A,B,C dry chemical.

Heck we carry a 20 pounder on the apparatus!
Eh, I've been in IT for over 40 years. While nearly not the same number of people (like in all industries these days) we still have people in our halon-protected datacenters. Halon will NOT kill anyone. I remember years ago in what was then our primary DC a cleaning person was in there doing her thing and a new guard was making the rounds. As he was ready to leave via the man-trap he saw the BIG RED BUTTON and wondered what it was, so of course he pulled a Ren & Stimpy and pushed it. LOUD horns and an immediate halon discharge scared the crap out of the poor cleaning lady and she went running for the exit only to slam into the closed door (secured because guard was still in man trap) and knock herself out. Fortunately this was when our data centers were still downtown so CFD did their normal amazing job and EMT's were on the scene in minutes to help her. Needless to say that was that guard's last shift. This was in the 80's so Halon was still (relatively) affordable AND available to recharge the system but it was still a six figure hit. These days all halon users (including us) belong to a consortium that captures and recycles Halon, which has been key to the multiple new data center buildouts and relocations we've done since then. My then-boss had to construct the most awkward presentation ever to present to the Board about that one.

Sponsored

Dalton07

First Edition
First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just purchased a 2019 Yamaha Ex Sport and this First Alert’s Rechargeable REC5 RV fire extinguisher fits in the holder perfectly like it was made for it. I was also impressed by its design, which features a metal head, a strap and bracket for easy mounting. It is equipped with an easy-to-read, color-coded metal gauge. This fire extinguisher is 5-B-C rated. It uses sodium bicarbonate as an extinguishing agent for handling serious fires.
Sponsored

Last edited: