First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since my universally liked 2015 Expedition EL met its untimely death by a dear in late 2022 I have been casually looking for a replacement. I was looking at a much newer Expy Max or Yukon XL but this is for sale on my way to work and I see it everyday and found it on FBM. This would be a supplement to the cars I have now currently. However, I think I am nuts for even considering it. BUT, the fact that we would not have to endure the Bronco when the entire family is going somewhere more than a few miles away is appealing (meaning a 14, 10 and 6 year old not being in one row lol) .

It's a 2000 with a V10 and near 200k miles. The seller is asking $3,000 obo. I have not looked that close but there is one for sure a surface rust spot on the same side as the dangling running board so I assume the undercarriage has some rust on it. Surprisingly the couple of rockers in the photos are clean, extremely clean for this area. Am I crazy for even consider this 24 year old hooptie?

Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee1
Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee2
Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee3
Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee4
Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee5
Ford Bronco Familytruckster? ee6
Sponsored

Last edited:

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cyber Yellorange Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those rockers and doors are rusting through, control arms and frame are likely not in great shape either, and who knows the maintenance on whatever's under the hood.

Once my 2010 Expedition EL became unreliable enough for family road trips, it got replaced. At this stage in that (or my) truck's life it's maybe good for hunting/fishing but I wouldn't chance it carrying the family for a week away from home.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it just me or do the front and rear tires look different sizes? The front tires look considerably bigger than the rear ones.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely get some bigger tires on that sweet, sweet ride. 🤩

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@mjp2 hit the nail on the head there. Common issue with the Expy and Excursions with the rusty rockers being an indicator of some larger rust issues in general.
I personally would not put my family in something akin to that situation unless I had no other choice for family hauling and could not afford anything better, or have an existing option that was better.
I say this due to experience with such. Being stranded on a week's vacation 6 hours from home (and all of your tools) in mid-July heat sucks.

Yes, a $3K vehicle is never going to be that creampuff, 100% great vehicle. We all have to be reasonable about what we are willing to compromise on for such.

Reasonably if that $3K vehicle lasts you 6 months with no cash invested into repairs, you got your money out of it vs. new vehicle payments and insurance rates.
Despite the rot, if it is structurally good (frame and all shock/body/suspension mounts) and reasonably mechanically sound, I don't necessarily think it's a terrible choice. Even if you had to throw $200-400 additional into it for a tune up. Just make sure if there are CEL on, what they are for. Replacing IAC, MAP sensors, cats can get pricey and frustrating quickly to get the dreaded "lean bank 1" codes to clear.

Also having owned the V10, prepare for sucky Fuel mileage.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just sold a 2007 Expy EL with ZERO RUST for $4500. (AZ vehicle it's whole life)

The 5.4 is a known entity. I know nothing about the V-10 other than it probably gets 8-10 mpg. I would likely pass.

AreUgettingEnufCaffeine

Big Bend
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
24 yrs old near 200k miles uh oh 😳

Golfsnob

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base 2 Door, Manual, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bought a 2005 Limited 4x4 with the V-10 back in 2010 out of Texas that was in mint condition with 19,000 miles on it. Used it just to tow a 32' travel trailer. Fuel mileage was terrible and you needed a 1/2 acre to turn around but it was a great travel/camping vehicle. Each kid had their own row and the dogs had the back. Original owner was George Foreman.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For 3k, screw it! I'd do it. It might strand you on a road trip, but it will have gotten you to the stranding point in comfort

Sponsored

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / OBX Dual Top 2.7 (2024)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@mjp2

. Even if you had to throw $200-400 additional into it for a tune up. Just make sure if there are CEL on, what they are for. Replacing IAC, MAP sensors, cats can get pricey and frustrating quickly to get the dreaded "lean bank 1" codes to clear.

Also having owned the V10, prepare for sucky Fuel mileage.
$200-$400 for a tune up? Good Gwad, that’s probably what a tank of gas costs on that monster!

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you do not like it, sell it down here in Texas. They still catch a good amount here.

Brisco2

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350 XLT, 2018 Ford E350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had the Triton V10 in a 99 F450 utility body. 6 mpg. Blew at least 3 spark plugs out while running (not at once). Needed heli-coils to repair. Just, some things to keep in mind. Don’t think I would plan on road trips with the family in that one.
Sponsored