First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like someone parked too close at 4th of July pary :-(. The jerk also scratched front edge of my (plastic) bumper. Glad these aren't painted.

Would you lightly sand w/ steel wool? Better to just try to buy a new/used one?

IMG_0540.jpg
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think sanding may make it worse. Do you have a heat gun or small propane torch? If so, lightly hit it with the flame and see if they melt away (obviously take the flare off first). Nothing to lose if you're thinking about replacing anyway. The heat works on the interior plastic, just have to be careful you don't burn the plastic while melting the scratches back in. Sounds nuts but I've done it several times and works well depending on how deep the scratch is. Works best on superficial scuffs, not so much on deep gouges.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Flip is right about the torch... Personally I would find some spare plastic (but it needs to be a similar material and scuff it and practice a bit first. I have always had a tendency to over heat it and it ends up glossing over. Then it looks just as bad if not worse. If you do it slowly and have a lot of patience you can repair it.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Insurance claim. What’s your deductible? Low enough to make it worth it?

Sponsored

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both can be replaced for about 250 dollars on Ford parts online.. Sucks, but not really worth making insurance claim if your deductible isn’t 0 dollars…

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sand them all and repaint with bedliner. That way you can always touch up in the future.
Sounds sensible. Have you done that?

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We had one of our sales demo flares done with Line-X after getting scuffed up and they're holding up great.
Thanks for the specifics. I took iAG's steps (Sasquatch rail mount) on what I thought was a low-obstacle trail and banged them a bit, knocking off their first-generation powder coat. Now aIG has been superb with customer follow-up and replacements, but I felt this was on me, and am not asking for a replacement (although they have replaced a few fittings, gratis).
So I just got some Rustoleum bed-liner, and gave them two coats. So far, so good--a nice, even black surface with a very slight knobby texture, handling the wear fine after four months. But I take them off when I'm going off road!
And thanks for the tip on Line-X.

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds sensible. Have you done that?
My flares are still in good shape so I havent had the need to but I have used this stuff on non-Bronco related plastic parts and it bonds very well if you get it nice and clean (I use acetone but test a small area first to make sure the plastic wont melt from it or use alcohol). The nice thing is if you get a scuff or scratch in it it covers it up really well when touching it up.
Sponsored