Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you considered the fixed lid cargo area enclosure? Based on the lid review here, I'm wondering if the fixed lid might work better with the soft-top? I only have the soft-top, and I love having the rear/side windows out, but am looking for a bit of security

https://accessories.ford.com/compartment-asy-rear-stowage-vm2dz-78115a00-c.html#2021/Bronco
Can you explain what you see as the limiting factor with the raiseable lid when it comes to the soft top?

Just thinking about this without the vehicle is starting to make my head hurt. If someone breaks into the vehicle, can they unlock the rear tailgate, thus unlocking the entire cargo box?

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you explain what you see as the limiting factor with the raiseable lid when it comes to the soft top?

Just thinking about this without the vehicle is starting to make my head hurt. If someone breaks into the vehicle, can they unlock the rear tailgate, thus unlocking the entire cargo box?
is in the linked videos and pictures, the little prop that is used to hold the soft top pivoted up gets in the way of raising the lid on the cargo enclosures so you have to hold both up at the same time manually.

broncoCT

Big Bend
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
is in the linked videos and pictures, the little prop that is used to hold the soft top pivoted up gets in the way of raising the lid on the cargo enclosures so you have to hold both up at the same time manually.
thanks - I'm leaning DELUXE (to have the option of opening the lid - knowing that 99% of the time it will be closed (fixed)

Sponsored
OP
OP
stuston

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, 7.3L Excursion, Multiple TDI's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you considered the fixed lid cargo area enclosure? Based on the lid review here, I'm wondering if the fixed lid might work better with the soft-top? I only have the soft-top, and I love having the rear/side windows out, but am looking for a bit of security

https://accessories.ford.com/compartment-asy-rear-stowage-vm2dz-78115a00-c.html#2021/Bronco
I am at the same decision point, this is what I intend to use my FordPass points towards. I can't decide between the security drawer (which absolutely won't hold a backpack) and these enclosures. I'm inclined to go for the deluxe one, because down the road I will be getting a hard top to replace the soft top.
I don't know why you would get a fixed top. I have pointed out some issues with mine, but for the little price difference, I still don't see why you would want the fixed lid. With some minor design tweeks, it would be excellent.

That is a great point. Like @stuston said, if the lid was detachable it'd be pretty amazing. I need to move a pinball machine once a year and it'd be nice if I didn't have to remove the entire cage to do it.
If you're thinking about folding down the rear seats for cargo into the cargo area, you'll have to remove more than just the top. I think you'll have to look into removing the whole assembly.

So I gave Tuffy a call. The fixed lid is not removable. The deluxe lid SHOULD be. @stuston can you give us a photo from the bottom looking up at the hinges and the grooves this guy just described to me? The Jeep versions are removable.
I will try to get some pictures in the next few days. The 'hinge' is just a bolt on each side with a nylock nut and some nylon washers. They've done a very good job overall of keeping it quiet. The problem is that you have to replace that bolt, and you need some kind of bracket to hold a spring-loaded pin. I suppose you could have a clevis pin, but I'm not sure how it would work on the clearances - I'll take a closer look when I get photos.

thanks - I'm leaning DELUXE (to have the option of opening the lid - knowing that 99% of the time it will be closed (fixed)
I've had no issue with keeping it closed, but I also have trailers and an Excursion if I need to move big stuff.

OP
OP
stuston

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, realized I took these pictures and never came back to post them.
Ford Bronco First 24 hrs in my Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2.7L Velocity Blue Soft Top (w/ Rear Cargo Enclosure review) 20210914_165856

Ford Bronco First 24 hrs in my Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2.7L Velocity Blue Soft Top (w/ Rear Cargo Enclosure review) 20210914_165842
Ford Bronco First 24 hrs in my Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2.7L Velocity Blue Soft Top (w/ Rear Cargo Enclosure review) 20210914_165829
Ford Bronco First 24 hrs in my Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2.7L Velocity Blue Soft Top (w/ Rear Cargo Enclosure review) 20210914_165820
Ford Bronco First 24 hrs in my Badlands Sasquatch 4dr 2.7L Velocity Blue Soft Top (w/ Rear Cargo Enclosure review) 20210914_165816

The keen eyed will have caught that some of the hardware is rusting. Some inexperienced designer used black oxide button head bolts for a few spots where the black finish looked better than the nickel chrome. If only they knew black oxide doesn't hold up to a hot breath before it starts to rust and quickly gets replaced by red oxide!

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@stuston Do you think that there are any valid workarounds for the issue with the soft top lid and the cargo enclosure lid not cooperating?

Do you think it would be possible to either/or/and...
1. replace the gas struts in the enclosure with more powerful ones that are capable of holding up more weight?
2. put some type of clip on the lid itself that would hold the bottom of the kickstand so that when the enclosure lid went up the soft top lid did as well?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
stuston

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@stuston Do you think that there are any valid workarounds for the issue with the soft top lid and the cargo enclosure lid not cooperating?

Do you think it would be possible to either/or/and...
1. replace the gas struts in the enclosure with more powerful ones that are capable of holding up more weight?
2. put some type of clip on the lid itself that would hold the bottom of the kickstand so that when the enclosure lid went up the soft top lid did as well?
I plan to try new struts at some point. The [soft]top will rest on the lid without the kickstand anyway, and it only goes about as far up as the lid -- having the kickstand sit on the lid wouldn't really help. Having a second kickstand on the lid wouldn't hurt for safety, if nothing else.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to try new struts at some point. The [soft]top will rest on the lid without the kickstand anyway, and it only goes about as far up as the lid -- having the kickstand sit on the lid wouldn't really help. Having a second kickstand on the lid wouldn't hurt for safety, if nothing else.
Makes sense, if you're successful with those new struts be sure to let us know.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I interpreted his post as having a kickstand under the lid, so you can prop up the lid (with the soft top resting on top) and use the same slot that the kickstand on the top uses. I think that would be cool. I have the soft top but not the enclosure so I don't know if it would actually work, but it seems like it would?

OP
OP
stuston

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heads up if you haven't seen this; Built Right Industries MOLLE COMPATIBLE CARGO PANEL
This looks like a very good option if you are not looking for a security enclosure, but want all the MOLLE panels. It does not include a rear panel or top panel and certainly does not look as sturdy as the ford accessory. However, this could be just what some of you are looking for. If you want to retain the ability to fold down the seats for additional large-cargo storage, this would be the only solution I have seen. I imagine you could add a shelf spanning the two sides to this to make a top panel to deter a casual thief from grabbing gear out of the cargo area, but I don't know if it is sturdy enough to hold a lot of weight in that manner.