Sponsored

Ford dealership snapped bolts to skid plate.

Spillage

Black Diamond
First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I'm at the dealership getting an oil change and was informed that the oil change techs snapped the bolts while removing my skid plates. They blamed it on the me taking it on the sand dunes and said the sand build up caused the issue and are making me pay for it. Could there be any truth to this or do you think they're passing the buck?
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I'm at the dealership getting an oil change and was informed that the oil change techs snapped the bolts while removing my skid plates. They blamed it on the me taking it on the sand dunes and said the sand build up caused the issue and are making me pay for it. Could there be any truth to this or do you think they're passing the buck?
So the Bronco is not designed to go in sand ? That would be my question and how many did they snap off before they decided you should pay for it ?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
A dealership passing the blame to the owner and not taking responsibility for their actions, Yes, I 100% believe there is truth to this...

GM vehicles had (or still have) plastic lugnuts cosmetic covers, I had this tech that was doing a rotation on my 2005 Pontiac GTO and used his impact gun to remove the lugnuts and destroyed the covers. Instead of replacing them, he super glued them and I noticed after driving home that the centripetal force made the super glue spill out to the rim. The dealership had to refinish my rim and replace all damaged caps.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it were an independent oil change place, you'd probably also be out of luck. Try to escalate. I assume the bolts can be removed and new ones used, and not replace the plates. That should be easier to get paid by a dealership.

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is wild! No, the dealer tech broke them, it is their responsibility.

I bet they hit them with an air gun at maximum uggas.

OP
OP

Spillage

Black Diamond
First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
[QU
OTE="Rydfree, post: 2034872, member: 11112"]
So the Bronco is not designed to go in sand ? That would be my question and how many did they snap off before they decided you should pay for it ?
[/QUOTE]
2 bolts, they claim I didn't do an underbody wash( which I did ) then I asked how the heck is underbody wash gonna get between the skid plate and the underbody. They looked dumbfounded and couldn't answer me.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bullshit, they broke it, then they need to make it right and repair/fix what they broke and damaged! Talkl to someone in charge, and move up the chain to get your ride back the way it went in! 🍻

OP
OP

Spillage

Black Diamond
First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it were an independent oil change place, you'd probably also be out of luck. Try to escalate. I assume the bolts can be removed and new ones used, and not replace the plates. That should be easier to get paid by a dealership.

Apparently they have to drill them out and re tap the holes. But I agree, the dealership should pay, they broke it, they buy it.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 bolts, they claim I didn't do an underbody wash( which I did ) then I asked how the heck is underbody wash gonna get between the skid plate and the underbody. They looked dumbfounded and couldn't answer me.
Two bolts?!? It's penny pinching buck-passing CYA to charge for it. Also, how did they do one, then go, "Oh, let's try another one". I bet the oil tech isn't too experienced.

My opinion, they should've just fixed it and let you know it happened and how they made it right. It's not like they drilled a hole in a diff, for instance. Cheap fix.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like the tech forgot lefty-loosie and went full ugga-ugga and snapped the bolts tightening them instead of loosening them.

No way a bit of sand build up is going to bind the bolts to the point of failure when removing them.

Absolutely no way I would be paying for that either. A matter of fact, I would stop them from doing anymore work, immediately talk to the service manager or even the GM and have them repair the bolts.

Again, I would not trust them to proceed with any service work. They have proven themselves incompetent and negligent.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope...no way. How does sand build up in a skid plate that affects the bolts?

Ask them to show you how that happened.

Ask for the Bolts to inspect - if the heads are snapped off they either do not know lefty loosey righty tighty or they over torqued them.

Then ask them that if this was their vehicle if they would accept that. Get the service manager involved....

Might need to drug test the tech as well...... :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP

Spillage

Black Diamond
First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update : Just spoke with the service director and made my case as to why this is in now ay way my fault. He agreed with me and told me there would be no charge to me and they would take care of it. All I'm out now, is just my time ( about 2 hours now ). It just baffles me as to why the service advisor just straight up blamed me for an unforseen issue.